Blocking Emails

amm

I find the many spamcop supporters that opt out by just labelling me as ranter humorous and irresponsible

I don't have a clue what you're carrying on about with this remark .. but I will tell you, I'm getting tired of asking for some clarifications and getting nothing but more general rant stuff.

You're asking "us" to explain how a direcpc e-mail server gets into the mix as you say you don't use them for "upload" ... but you continue to blow off the questions asking for clarification as to how you are doing what, as you're the only person with that knowledge. If you're dialing-up Joe Scmoe's ISP and using Joe Scmoe's e-mail server, then you're correct .. direcpc's e-mail server shouldn't touch your outgoing e-mail .. However, youe e-mail blockage problem is based on your outgoing e-mail coming from a direcpc e-mail server .... Sorry, but it's up to you to figure out how this is happening. Maybe "we" could offer some guesses, but you've not provided any real/actual data to go on ....

IIRC IP 66.82.50.1 is the IP that direcpc funnels everyone thru -- they do not stamp a received header for the connecting user so this IP gets listed from time to time.

Would everyone but Ellen please ignore me.

Ellen: I have a oneway satellite system in my home office. I dial up to KDSI and Direcpc is the download (satellite). So when I attempt to send an email using Outlook 2003, I receive the message from Spamcop that you quoted earlier. At this time we are unable to send any outgoing emails. We are able to receive emails via the download from Direcpc without problem. How can direcpc be the problem when the sent email goes through the KDSI dial up and the KDSI supported domain name? Does direcway affect outgoing email eventhough it is only the uplink? I really feel that spamcop needs to become proactive in helping us find the solution as it is falsely blocking my emails.

I use the same domain name based email from my business office using a high speed fiber optic line and I am not being blocked by spamcop.

Do you have an email address or can someone at spamcop help me directly via telephone. We need to solve this problem and neither direcway or KDSI knows what is going on.

Thank you.

Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Public Forums and such ....If you want to go direct to Ellen directly, go to e-mail.

So when I attempt to send an email using Outlook 2003, I receive the message from Spamcop that you quoted earlier

And for the umpteenth time, the message Ellen quoted was a quote of what you provided in a quote, and it has been explained over and over that this message did not come from SpamCop. It came from the ISP that you attempted to send that particular e-mail to.

Ellen:  I have a oneway satellite system in my home office.  I dial up to KDSI and Direcpc is the download (satellite).

Kansas Don't Spoil It! ...???? Or just maybe someone else like http://www.kdsi.net/ ... a sister company of Kelly Supply, Inc. ??? Looking at the FAQ on their web-site, there is a whole list of e-mail servers that you could possibly be using for your outgoing e-mail (based on your dial-up description) One could look up the IP of one of those servers, but sheer folly unless you tell "us" which one you are allegedly configured to use .. either offer up a city or server name ....

So when I attempt to send an email using Outlook 2003, I receive the message from Spamcop that you quoted earlier.  At this time we are unable to send any outgoing emails.

Now that's going a bit far, if all you're basing your complaint on is the SpamCopDNSbl ... the only time this would impact you is if you attempted to send e-mail to another ISP that uses the SpamCopDNSbl in its arsenal of anti-spam tools. And there is nothing that prevents you from reaching down low and generating a HotMail or Yahoo account to get you over a hurdle, if the need is there (of course, hoping then that you don't end up trying to send an e-mail to someone at an ISP that blocks any and all HotMail/Yahoo e-mail)

We are able to receive emails via the download from Direcpc without problem.  How can direcpc be the problem when the sent email goes through the KDSI dial up and the KDSI supported domain name?  Does direcway affect outgoing email eventhough it is only the uplink?  I really feel that spamcop needs to become proactive in helping us find the solution as it is falsely blocking my emails.

Can't get much more proactive than this .. how many posts has it taken to get you to offer up some additional data? And I'll note that there is no way in the world that I'm able to peer into your computer to see how you've got it set up. You keep saying that you "dial-up" for outgoing e-mail, but how are "we" supposed to go along that the direcpc software didn't change stuff when that application was installed and thus even though you dial-up, your Outlook 2003 software is configured to use direcpc and you only "think" you're using the dial-up connection?

I use the same domain name based email from my business office using a high speed fiber optic line and I am not being blocked by spamcop.

One would think that if you are spending the money on an actual direct sonnection to a fiber-opic line, you be able to afford to hire someone to fix / troubleshoot your end of the deal. And while you're at it, "using the same domain name e-mail" means exactly what? Are you pulling yet another un-named system into the mix? Again, the only thing apparently agreed to thus far is that your outgoing e-mail that routes through direcpc has a problem, yet the reasoning behind how that happens is still up in the air. Not helping is the constant bounce between home/office/direcpc/whatever ... pick the problem system/mode and just stick to that one issue.

Do you have an email address or can someone at spamcop help me directly via telephone.  We need to solve this problem and neither direcway or KDSI knows what is going on.

This is the primary support spot. direcpc may be idiots for all I know, but the immediate presumption is that you are talking to some kid trying to read a scri_pt and your issue isn't on his/her clipboard. KDSI.net even offers an 800 number ... how about calling them and asking someone (again, at whatever location is involved) to check their logs and see if your e-mail really is going out through their servers. My suspicion is that you aren't helping them like you're not really helping here, so there's no way they can figure out what you're doing either .. again, just a suspicion.

So while you're waiting for some magic moment whan someone "here" discovers the magic crystal that solves everything from afar, how about taking the time to go through the steps at http://www.kdsi.net/outlook2003_setup.html and just see how close you actually are to allegedly sending your e-mail out via KDIS.net's e-mail servers.

IIRC IP 66.82.50.1 is the IP that direcpc funnels everyone thru -- they do not stamp a received header for the connecting user so this IP gets listed from time to time.

Ellen: I have a oneway satellite system in my home office. I dial up to KDSI and Direcpc is the download (satellite). So when I attempt to send an email using Outlook 2003, I receive the message from Spamcop that you quoted earlier. At this time we are unable to send any outgoing emails. We are able to receive emails via the download from Direcpc without problem. How can direcpc be the problem when the sent email goes through the KDSI dial up and the KDSI supported domain name? Does direcway affect outgoing email eventhough it is only the uplink? I really feel that spamcop needs to become proactive in helping us find the solution as it is falsely blocking my emails.

Do you have an email address or can someone at spamcop help me directly via telephone. We need to solve this problem and neither direcway or KDSI knows what is going on.

Thank you.

The newsgroup folks *are* trying to help.

In any case all that I can tell you is that if you are getting the error message about the IP that you stated previously, then you/your email app/your ISP is using that IP for sending mail and the recipient's mailserver, which is apparently using the SC blocklist, is rejecting for mail because that IP is listed.

<snip>

In any case all that I can tell you is that if you are getting the error message about the IP that you stated previously,  then you/your email app/your ISP is using that IP for sending mail and the recipient's mailserver, which is apparently using the SC blocklist, is rejecting for mail because that IP is listed.

I am not a spammer.  I am a business person trying to do business using the net.

...In that spirit, I shall offer a couple of things:

• non-tech business person translation of what Ellen just wrote: Your e-mail provider also seems to host spammers as well as providing outgoing e-mail service to you. Anyone who uses your e-mail provider who sends an e-mail to the provider of the folks to whom you wish to correspond will be blocked by their provider who seems to be using the SpamCop blocklist to reject.
  • If your business relies on e-mail over the Internet to survive, your business is in great danger. The Internet is not able to guarantee e-mail delivery for a variety of reasons. In addition, it is very dangerous to rely for success on a technology about which you are not willing to learn basics. If I have mis-characterized you, please forgive me -- it just seems to me that way from your remark in an earlier post, "I do not have the time to spend hours on technical issues." If you don't have the time, you would be well advised to hire or contract with someone who does. Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth. :) <g>

In addition, it is very dangerous to rely for success on a technology about which you are not willing to learn basics.

Steve, that's a great line!!

Collary: It is also dangerous to do business with those who don't know or use the basic best internet practices.

People are so hung up on 'innocence' - yet they complain if they are customers of offline businesses who don't know the first thing about delivery services and their purchase is delayed. The logistics of delivery service is just about as complicated as email technology, but customers can make judgments among different services. Not everyone understands everything about auto design and auto mechanics, yet they can make judgments about which vehicle to drive. If they get a lemon, then they complain loudly. They don't excuse the dealer because he is 'innocent' of automobile technology.

Miss Betsy

In addition, it is very dangerous to rely for success on a technology about which you are not willing to learn basics.

Steve, that's a great line!!

<snip>

...And, coming from you, Miss Betsy, that's a supreme compliment. I trust everyone will recognize that it was you who inspired the thought. :) <g>

In any case all that I can tell you is that if you are getting the error message about the IP that you stated previously,  then you/your email app/your ISP is using that IP for sending mail and the recipient's mailserver, which is apparently using the SC blocklist, is rejecting for mail because that IP is listed.

Ellen, thank you for the reply. I have forwarded it and Steve T's translation to KDSI and they are researching the problem.

I have forwarded it and Steve T's translation to KDSI and they are researching the problem.

and no doubt they will be able to have no problem straightening out a spam spew issue from a direcpc e-mail server ... it would appear that you didn't try step one and actually check your system and your e-mail configuration ... oh well ...

This is just too funny ... I just got off the phone with the support folks at KDSI.net. Even though I have no clue as to amm's user account there, it didn't take too much of an explanation as to get transferred to someone who knew exactly who I was calling about. She related that she had gone over the same ground, there is no connection between KDSI.net and direcpc ... if he was sending e-mail via KDSI.net, there was no way for it to gather up a direcpc IP, that it sounded like something was wrong at his end ..... The strange thing is that he allegedly contacted them again to ask what they (KDSI.net) had changed, because everything was working "now" ... (I took a look while on the phone with her and the direcpc IP in question is still showing as listed)

So, although aam hasn't seen fit to make any kind of statement here, it does appear that his problem is supposedly fixed. As "we" didn't do anything, KDSI.net didn't do anything, and direcpc hasn't done anything, that sure makes it hard to guess at how the problem got resolved, eh?

This is just too funny ... I just got off the phone with the support folks at KDSI.net.  Even though I have no clue as to amm's user account there, it didn't take too much of an explanation as to get transferred to someone who knew exactly who I was calling about.  She related that she had gone over the same ground, there is no connection between KDSI.net and direcpc ... if he was sending e-mail via KDSI.net, there was no way for it to gather up a direcpc IP, that it sounded like something was wrong at his end .....  The strange thing is that he allegedly contacted them again to ask what they (KDSI.net) had changed, because everything was working "now" ...  (I took a look while on the phone with her and the direcpc IP in question is still showing as listed)

So, although aam hasn't seen fit to make any kind of statement here, it does appear that his problem is supposedly fixed.  As "we" didn't do anything, KDSI.net didn't do anything, and direcpc hasn't done anything, that sure makes it hard to guess at how the problem got resolved, eh?

Wazoo:

On vacation this week which is why I have been quiet.

THis was above and beyond the call of duty. Good for you for following up to this level.

<snip>

On vacation this week which is why I have been quiet.

...Welcome back! I, for one, have missed you! :) <g>

<THis was above and beyond the call of duty.  Good for you for following up to this level.

...But not a surprise (at least, not to me) -- I've come to expect a high level of service from Wazoo (as from you) and I'm certain I am not alone. :) <g>

Not the first phone call made, surely not the last .. and truth be known, it ended up being a rather nice conversation, a number of laughs, had the chance to explain how SpamCop really worked (as compared to the way someone else had recently explained it to her <g>)

But, I'll agree and expand ... it was a looooong week-end without either one of you guys in here <g> Welcome back and hope the time was off was a great experience!

Archived