How do I cancel my membership with spamcop?

Guest 1xdlug1efl

...What kind of account do you have? If you haven't paid, there's nothing to close -- just stop using it. If you're a paid e-mail subscriber, navigate to Contact Us form, Fill in the form and in the drop-down list labeled "Please select your type of question" select "I want to cancel my account".

...Good luck!

Guest 1xdlug1efl
Looking at this user's previous posts, the "contact us" link provided by Staeve T is the correct answer.� The assumption is that this user wants some money back.

14100[/snapback]

Yes I did indeed pay for the dis-service :(

Guest 1xdlug1efl
If you're a paid e-mail subscriber, navigate to Contact Us form, Fill in the form and in the drop-down list labeled "Please select your type of question" select "I want to cancel my account".

BTW how would one find that link?? I look all over the website for a conmtact page and did not see it... thanks for posting it though :)

If you're a paid e-mail subscriber, navigate to Contact Us form, Fill in the form and in the drop-down list labeled "Please select your type of question" select "I want to cancel my account".
BTW how would one find that link?? I look all over the website for a conmtact page and did not see it...

14147[/snapback]

...Navigated to http://mail.spamcop.net/ and found the "Contact Us" link.

... thanks for posting it though� :)

14147[/snapback]

...My pleasure. Sorry that you seem to have had a bad experience with it.

...Wazoo -- since this is about the e-mail service and not the reporting service or blocklist, would you please move it to the Email forum? ty

Would you care to share why you are unhappy with the service.

Speaking for myself, I am very happy with SpamCop.

Yes there are some problems with the interfaces, but I have found ways that work for me which have greatly reduced the amount of spam reaching my inbox.

If you have specific issues that have caused you to give up on the service it would be helpful to know what they are.

Guest 1xdlug1efl
BTW how would one find that link?? I look all over the website for a conmtact page and did not see it...

14147[/snapback]

Okay how would you know to go to the mail.spamcop.net page of you usually go to www.spamcop.net? Seems like the contact page you be linked there?

Guest 1xdlug1efl
Would you care to share why you are unhappy with the service.

Speaking for myself, I am very happy with SpamCop.

Yes there are some problems with the interfaces, but I have found ways that work for me which have greatly reduced the amount of spam reaching my inbox.

If you have specific issues that have caused you to give up on the service it would be helpful to know what they are.

14175[/snapback]

Well first of all it did not reduce the actual amount of spam I was receiving.

The whitelisting function is limited.

Filtering only works if you use their mail software.. whereas I would have it filter all incoming mail with the same priority as the whitelisting.

The interface is difficult to use and understand.

I beleive as retaliaition some of the spammers I reported started spoofing my domain name in the headers and I unwittingly reported spam as coming from my own domain. Even though I had configued my mail hosts correctly my legitimate mail server is not exactly the same as my domain. The end result was that my webhosting provider interrupted my service and the blocking on their mail host effected hundred of customers. Basically this means that the spammers win and spamcop is a double edged sword that obviously the spammers can use agianst those who report them.

I'm tired of shifting through the daily deluge of spam I get to make sure nothing legit got caught in the filter so I have shutdown all the email accounts I had that were getting spammed. This to me is %100 effective! Anyone with half a brain can figure out how to get in touch with me otherwise.

If you are the victim of huge amounts of spam then I suggest using spamcop only to catch more of it but forget the reporting feature unless you like spending several hours a day manually reporting each and every spam to make sure you aren't getting ready to get your own email service blocked.

In the end I can't beleive I paid for this dis-service. :angry:

The whitelisting function is limited.

Filtering only works if you use their mail software.. whereas I would have it filter all incoming mail with the same priority as the whitelisting.

The interface is difficult to use and understand.

Lots of truth there...it's far from perfect, but many of us find it to be worth paying for and participating in, so to each his/her own.

I beleive as retaliaition some of the spammers I reported started spoofing my domain name in the headers and I unwittingly reported spam as coming from my own domain.

That's possible, but don't be so sure that it's not simply random. I've had that happen with domains that aren't involved in any sort of spam reporting.

Even though I had configued my mail hosts correctly my legitimate mail server is not exactly the same as my domain. The end result was that my webhosting provider interrupted my service ...

Hmmm...that sounds like something went wrong with the reporting and you accidentally reported yourself. Did you check all the details of the reports that you submitted to make sure that wasn't happening? If you had caught that, you could have then quickly contacted your provider to explain what was going on...that happened once to me recently. Reporting should only be done knowing that this can happen, and you have to be sure that you know where the reports have been sent.

If you are the victim of huge amounts of spam then I suggest using spamcop only  to catch more of it but forget the reporting feature unless you like spending several hours a day manually reporting each and every spam to make sure you aren't getting ready to get your own email service blocked.

This is why the new "mailhosts" technique is being developed. However, I don't use it, and yet, despite reporting hundreds of spams each day, only one has actually resulted in a report going to my web host, and that was probably due to something I did wrong. YMMV

DT

BTW how would one find that link?? I look all over the website for a conmtact page and did not see it... thanks for posting it though  :)

14147[/snapback]

I think you're right on this one. The "mail.spamcop.net" subdomain is not the "front door" for website visitors....those are "www.spamcop.net" and for logged in users, "mailsc.spamcop.net." I just poked around on both of those, looking for any "Contact Us" link and it currently only appears in the "Mirrors still needed" paragraph with some specific URL parameters that cause the form to be specifically about "Reason for contact: Mirror Volunteer."

So I would agree with the OP on this....the "Contact Us" is not readily found.

DT

Okay how would you know to go to the mail.spamcop.net page of you usually go to www.spamcop.net? Seems like the contact page you be linked there?

14205[/snapback]

...Well, I normally go to www.spamcop.net only because I don't use SpamCop e-mail but rather only use its reporting service. I expected a link to ask for a refund for the e-mail service to be on the home page for the e-mail service. But I didn't know what that URL was. So:

...IIRC, I:

• navigated to the SpamCop home page at http://www.spamcop.net/
  • clicked the link under "Site Map" labeled "$30/year: filtered POP/IMAP/web mail and reporting."
  • Clicked the link labeled "Sign up for SpamCop Email"
  • removed the "account_new.php" from the URL to get to the home page.

Guest 1xdlug1efl
This is why the new "mailhosts" technique is being developed. However, I don't use it, and yet, despite reporting hundreds of spams each day, only one has actually resulted in a report going to my web host, and that was probably due to something I did wrong. YMMV

According to the spamcop I may have reported as many as 500 emails coming from my domain in a span of a few days. I was using the new mailhosts technique but they need to add a manual submission of domains and IPs to ignore because the IP address of the account that was reported and my domain are not the same.

What I don't understand is if that is the case then why did my domain getting blocked effect the rest of the server.. anyway.. I have a better solution which is to just screw it and shutoff the accounts and not mess with spamcop.

My web host provider was reluctant to turn my service back on but I swore I would not use Spamcop again. I have requested serveral times to receive copies of the messages that caused the problem but I haven't and wel it's a moot issue.. I'm just glad they decided to rule in my favor and not the spammers.

My webhost uses spam assasin so I just need to lower the threshold I guess but it was nice to beable to include the other blacklists. The annoying thing was that legit emails would start to register as spam... who knows why?

Other Spamcop annoyances:

More frequently than I care for email I forwarded from the held mail page would disappear or take forever to show up.

It would have been great if from the held mail page that any spam to be reported was sent to a secondary folder.. so that you could easily review it before sending reports.

It would have been nice if you could move legit messages to the inbox from the held mail page.

The quick report feature should be disabled alltogether.. it is far too dangerous and is what got me into trouble.

What I don't understand is if that is the case then why did my domain getting blocked effect the rest of the server

Because it was not your domain being blocked, it was your IP address.

There is no way to know the domain of an incoming message (easily forged). The only information not easily forged for an incoming message is the IP address. That is what is placed on the bl. You share your mail services with other companies, so you are all using the very same email IP address.

When that IP address is added to the blocklist, everyone who uses that mail server is affected. That is why it is important for the administrators of that mail server to keep an eye on what is happening, how many messages are going through it, if there is a large increase, and to act quickly when there is a complaint sent to them, whether via spamcop, or otherwise. Every complaint is a possible blacklisting somewhere, be it on an private blocklist or a public one like spamcop.

According to the spamcop I may have reported as many as 500 emails coming from my domain in a span of a few days. I was using the new mailhosts technique but they need to add a manual submission of domains and IPs to ignore  because the IP address of the account that was reported and my domain are not the same.

Mail-host is a configuration, not a technique. I'm also not quite following the "account that was reported" and "my domain" .... best I can guess is that you must be talking about a spamvertised URL, but that doesn't fit in with mail-hosts or quick-reporting.

What I don't understand is if that is the case then why did my domain getting blocked effect the rest of the server

Again, you're mixing the case of domains and IPs ... not the same thing, espicially when it seems that you're really talking about a shared e-mail server.

More frequently than I care for email I forwarded from the held mail page would disappear or take forever to show up.

Another Topic on this at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2213 ... perhpas you would have been able to provide additional data to diagnose this? Perhaps a bit late if you're already cancelled, but ...

It would have been great if from the held mail page that any spam to be reported was sent to a secondary folder.. so that you could easily review it before sending reports.

A bit over my head, apparently, as why wouldn't one do the review prior to submitting to begin with?

It would have been nice if you could move legit messages to the inbox from the held mail page.

I can't help but wonder what else the "Whitelist and Forward" thing does, as I see itmentioned so often.

The quick report feature should be disabled alltogether.. it is far too dangerous and is what got me into trouble.

There's a number of old-timers that have suggested the same, though it does seem that perhaps you just jumped into the middle of things without verifying that things were working correctly before putting all your trust into the parsing tool.

Actually that is one of the things that does work quite well.

You simply mark the box of the legit messages.

Select the dropdown box and select either

Forward (and white list sender)

Forward (do not white list sender)

This will move the messages to you inbox or forward them elsewhere dependant upon how you have setup your mailbox.

The above is based on using the VER interface

The web mail interface works the same way but the terms are different

Release

Release and Whitelist

It also proved a second method which allows you to copy or move the message to any folder you wish.

Thanks for posting the reasons you decided to leave

Sorry that it did not work for you

Archived