Simple English Answers Please

BF13

I just needed to see the coding headers for an email that was sent to me. I don't want it reported as spam. I use AOL. Is there any way to do that here without a report being filed? I forwarded it to my mailaddress here and it showed only an option to "report now" for me to get the headers coding. Now on my past reports list it shows a few lines, but I can't find the whole coded message anywhere and I'm afraid it was reported as spam. I searched for answers here but can't find anything in plain simple English. Someplace said to send an email to the administrator to apologize or something and then to somewhere here but I don't even have the info on the past reports to refer to. HELP!!

This is quite easy. I believe that you are wanting to do is "parse" the header to get the true information behind it.

You need to go to http://www.spamcop.net and login. Once you log in there is a field that you can paste the full header into. Click the "Process spam" button, then once you receive the parsing information, cancel the spam report.

If this is not what you're needing, please reply so someone can try to help a bit more!

This is quite easy.  I believe that you are wanting to do is "parse" the header to get the true information behind it.

You need to go to http://www.spamcop.net and login.  Once you log in there is a field that you can paste the full header into.  Click the "Process spam" button, then once you receive the parsing information, cancel the spam report.

If this is not what you're needing, please reply so someone can try to help a bit more!

14311[/snapback]

I tried that and it gave me an error. The description page on how to do this for AOL email seems to say you can only do it as an attachment. If that's the case, how do I see the info without it becoming a report and without causing problems?

Since you had "the message forwarded", I think you are probably using the email service. You might have better luck in the email forum.

However, at the top of the spamcop page there is a menu item for past reports or reporting history where you can see if a report was sent. I don't know how you access that from the email service.

If you have submitted by email, then the 'Unreported spam Report Now' starts the parse after which you have the choice to cancel the report or send it.

If you use the quick reporting, then you should have gotten a report email showing that a report was sent.

If you do find out you sent a report in error, then you send an apology to the abuse desk and an email to deputies at spamcop.net explaining that you have made an error and they will not let that IP address be listed.

HTH

Miss Betsy

I just needed to see the coding headers for an email that was sent to me. I don't want it reported as spam.  I use AOL.  Is there any way to do that here without a report being filed?  I forwarded it to my mailaddress here and it showed only an option to "report now" for me to get the headers coding.

14310[/snapback]

...Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the term "coding headers," so I don't know how to help you with that.

...If you follow one of the links in the e-mail that was returned to you from SpamCop, it should take you to a page that contains some information starting with "spam Header". Further down the page, there's a section labeled "Report spam to:" that contains a list of e-mail addresses to which reports would be submitted. Just above that is a link labeled "View full message" -- click that to see what SpamCop thinks is the spam you sent to it for processing. Below the list of e-mail addresses are three buttons, labeled "Send spam Report(s) Now," "Preview Reports" and "Cancel." The "Cancel" button is the one you want to click so that the spam won't actually be reported!

...HTH (hope that helps)!

Since you had "the message forwarded", I think you are probably using the email service.  You might have better luck in the email forum.

<snip>

14313[/snapback]

...Hmm - I interpreted that to mean that BF13 submitted the spam by forwarding it in an e-mail, not that (s)he uses the SpamCop e-mail service.

You are correct. I just signed up for the free basic service because eBay sends that as the link for getting the full header information on your emails. I don't have the email pay service. It looks like there was "no report filed" but I don't know why. I also can't find the actual page anymore that showed the whole email with all codes revealed. There had been a link that said this can be saved and I clicked that but it didn't take me anywhere and now I can't figure out where that would be saved. I appreciate the prompt efforts to help though. Any ideas?

...Hmm - I interpreted that to mean that BF13 submitted the spam by forwarding it in an e-mail, not that (s)he uses the SpamCop e-mail service.

14315[/snapback]

I haven't used the free service for years, but in the web reporting system used by SC Email customers, in our "Preferences," we have and option titled "Show Technical Details during reporting" with "Simple Output" or "Show technical data" as the choices. If we select the former, we don't get to see all the details of the parsing of the spam we submit, but if we pick the latter, we do.

But maybe this is way off track....if so, sorry.

dt

Actually, this is going to be a tough one to handle, based on your apparent lack of background on several fronts. First up, do you still have the e-mail in question? If so, can you actually pull up the conplete and real headers? The real issue is that AOL does things their own way, which of course, is non-standard to the rest of the world. (on the flip side, they changed a few things a number of months ago that would allow you to access your AOL e-mail using Outlook Express, which might also simplify things..??)

If you've got the spam, got the headers, then go back to the spamcop login page, start by pasting in the headers into the big box ... hit the Enter/Return key once or twice, then paste in the body of the e-mail ..... hit the "Process" button and see where that takes you .... (as mentioned by David T, it would be advisable to check the little box before processing [actually need to do this twice to get Technical details to actually fire up]) ..... you have a "Cancel" option at the end of the parse .... after all that, then holler for more specific help, if needed.

OK, re-read ... perhaps going through Preferences is the wiser course ... that part is still new to me <g>

I haven't used the free service for years, but in the web reporting system used by SC Email customers, in our "Preferences," we have and option titled "Show Technical Details during reporting" with "Simple Output" or "Show technical data" as the choices. If we select the former, we don't get to see all the details of the parsing of the spam we submit, but if we pick the latter, we do.

<snip>

14318[/snapback]

...For those of us with free reporter access, it's a check box on the web page http://www.spamcop.net/.

You are correct. I just signed up for the free basic service because eBay sends that as the link for getting the full header information on your emails. I don't have the email pay service.
...Thanks for confirming my understanding.

It looks like there was "no report filed" but I don't know why.
...Perhaps because you never went to the web page and clicked the "Send spam Report(s) Now" button?

I also can't find the actual page anymore that showed the whole email with all codes revealed.  There had been a link that said this can be saved and I clicked that but it didn't take me anywhere and now I can't figure out where that would be saved.  I appreciate the prompt efforts to help though.  Any ideas?

14317[/snapback]

...If you go to http://www.spamcop.net/ (you may have to log in) there should be a line that reads Unreported spam Saved:"Report Now" If you click the link labeled "Report Now", one of your "saved" reports should come up.

There isn't anything that says anything about unreported spam. On the left there are the buttons for help, site map, etc. Closest is something that says "Past Reports" which brings up a button for "jump to link" or "view recent reports" which brings up a list (not clickable) of headers of "report history" with short intros of each that I have now forwarded but that doesn't show the full report with all of the revealed codes, which is the reason I signed up in the first place.

You are correct. I just signed up for the free basic service because eBay sends that as the link for getting the full header information on your emails. I don't have the email pay service.

...Thanks for confirming my understanding.

...Perhaps because you never went to the web page and clicked the "Send spam Report(s) Now" button?

...If you go to http://www.spamcop.net/ (you may have to log in) there should be a line that reads Unreported spam Saved:"Report Now" If you click the link labeled "Report Now", one of your "saved" reports should come up.

14321[/snapback]

BTW, I did the same thing the first few times I used spamcop (clicked on the URL that says this report can be saved) and wondered why nothing happened.

That URL is called a 'tracking URL' and if you copy it and save it to a file on your computer, then you can use it to find that report.

If all you want to do is to find addresses of abuse desks, you can enter a single line of the headers in the web page box or just the headers and no report will be offered to be sent, but you will get the addresses spamcop 'would use'. It would probably be easier if you don't intend to report, to use the web page box. Or if you want to check to make sure the headers haven't been forged, be sure you get the technical details. They aren't really that difficult to figure out if you go slowly.

You can find the IP address of a domain by just entering the domain name in the web page box.

And people will be very helpful (and keep their guffaws offline) even for really 'dumb' questions.

I am not clear on what has happened about the change from 'free' to 'paid user with no fuel' that has just happened, but it used to be that free users could not access past reports.

If it was a legitimate person, then probably no harm was done or you would have heard by now. Most ISP's have common sense and can tell by the content of an email whether it is spam or not. They also know that occasionally spamcop reporters make a mistake. So, in general, they ignore it. Since it takes more than one reporter to get an IP address listed, if it was a mistake, then it probably is not listed. Believe me, if it caused a problem, someone is going to start yelling and you will find out about it.

Miss Betsy

Thanks. I think I was safe because it says something about the emails being more than 3 days old so no report was sent. I had originally tried to cut and paste into the box but it didn't seem to work. I did check the technical details box though.

BTW, I did the same thing the first few times I used spamcop (clicked on the URL that says this report can be saved) and wondered why nothing happened.

That URL is called a 'tracking URL' and if you copy it and save it to a file on your computer, then you can use it to find that report.

If all you want to do is to find addresses of abuse desks, you can enter a single line of the headers in the  web page box or just the headers and no report will be offered to be sent, but you will get the addresses spamcop 'would use'.  It would probably be easier if you don't intend to report, to use the  web page box.  Or if you want to check to make sure the headers haven't been forged, be sure you get the technical details.  They aren't really that difficult to figure out if you go slowly.

You can find the IP address of a domain by just entering the domain name in the web page box.

And people will be very helpful (and keep their guffaws offline) even for really 'dumb' questions.

I am not clear on what has happened about the change from 'free' to 'paid user with no fuel' that has just happened, but it used to be that free users could not access past reports.

If it was a legitimate person, then probably no harm was done or you would have heard by now.  Most ISP's have common sense and can tell by the content of an email whether it  is spam or not.  They also know that occasionally spamcop reporters make a mistake.  So, in general, they ignore it.  Since it takes more than one reporter to get an IP address listed, if it was a mistake, then it probably is not listed. Believe me, if it caused a problem, someone is going to start yelling and you will find out about it.

Miss Betsy

14336[/snapback]

Going back to the original post for a moment...

I just needed to see the coding headers for an email that was sent to me. I don't want it reported as spam.  I use AOL.

14310[/snapback]

BF13, you can see the full headers of any AOL email if you click on the "Details" link on any given message (It's where it says "Sent from the Internet"). You wouldn't need to use SpamCop if all you were doing was trying to view the detailed headers on a message you received at an AOL address.

dt

Archived