Using G-Lock SpamCombat with Spamcop

Arf

Hi,

I am very interested in using Spamcop but have a few questions please.

1. Will Spamcop retrieve my e-mails automatically from my ISP and how often?

Why I ask is that I get arpx' 100 spam e-mails a day and if I was to go away for a week my ISP inbox would be overloaded with spam so hopefully Spamcop will retrieve my e-mails from my ISP on a regular basis and put them up on the Spamcop servers.

2. I use G-Lock spam Combat (works well) can I still use it as a secondary defence? I will be using my original e-mail account using Outlook express.

I would be grateful for any info,

Thanks,

Arf

Welcome. If you are talking about geting a spamcop email account then continue:

1. YOu can either have spamcop POP your current email account or some ISP's allow you to forward to another account. Forwarding would be quicker and use less spamcop resources.

2. I don't know what G-Lock spam Combat is but if it is a local program it should be no problem. You would simply change your system to POP spamcop rather than your ISP. If it is another online type thing, you can also have spamcop forward all untrapped email to another location, so that would work as well.

Welcome.  If you are talking about geting a spamcop email account then continue:

1.  YOu can either have spamcop POP your current email account or some ISP's allow you to forward to another account.  Forwarding would be quicker and use less spamcop resources.

ANS: Yes I will want to have a spamcop account but I still would like to know if spamcop will retrieve my e-mail while I am not around or away for a week or so, if yes  how often does it retrieve my e-mail from my ISP ? hourly, daily ect.

2.  I don't know what G-Lock spam Combat is but if it is a local program it should be no problem.  You would simply change your system to POP spamcop rather than your ISP.  If it is another online type thing, you can also have spamcop forward all untrapped email to another location, so that would work as well.

ANS: Thank you.

15548[/snapback]

Thanks Steven,

Arf

Inquiring minds ask why I moved this posting from E-Mail setup to Help .... let's start with the Topic Title .... Questionable, but ...???? open up the post .... " am very interested in using Spamcop" .... hmmm, not a "setup" question yet, as one could still guess / question just what type of account that's in question.

"1. Will Spamcop retrieve my e-mails automatically from my ISP"

Definitely a FAQ item.

"how often"

covered in lots of ways in different places, but an easier approach is for the user to make known the apparent requirements. I have dealt with interesting people that had a slow computer, a slow modem, and to make up for all that slow stuff, set up their e-mail client to check for new e-mail every 15 seconds .. and wondering why they seemed to have so many "issues" with their e-mail client goofing up ...???

Then we finally get around to the product mentioned in the Topic Title, but this still doesn't seem to be a "how do I get my system to talk to SpamCop e-mail servers" ... most of which is already found in the FAQ, especially when noting that Outlook Express is to be the e-mail client.

So at this point, I decided that this post was not so much of a "how do I set things up" as a generic request for data, most of which is already in the FAQ. Made the move, attempted to step back a few pages and do a refresh to get things back in sync, and got yet another system crash here ... thus no follow up post from me at the time.

Anyway, back now ... that the "worry" is about overloading the other ISP account is yet another call to check the FAQ for the entries dealing with issues of allowing the Folders in a SpamCop e-mail account to get overloaded. And if the user is "away" and not checking e-mail, why would it be critical as to how often e-mail was checked anyway?

Back to the Topic Title, if the user is "away" and we make the assumption that G-Lock is some tool used on his/her system, there is no connection to the first question at this point (and noting that this wasn't a setup issue for accessing a SpamCop e-mail account) .... thus far, we don't know if a laptop is involved, such that the same computer is involved, or are looking at some other type of access to any e-mail account .. local library, internet cafe, friend's house, etc ....

http://www.glocksoft.com/sc/

"G-Lock SpamCombat is email filtering software that lets you eliminate all unwanted messages at the server level without receiving them with your email client."

This actually sounds a bit scary in trying to make things happen between the existing ISP, user's client, and the SpamCop servers. I get the funny feeling that the words "lost e-mail" are just around the corner, and sorting out who and what did the deletion is not going to be fun.

Anyway, I still don't see this post/Topic as yet fitting the E-Mail Set-up Forum .... and the E-mail Forum is still a bit of a question ... again, starting with the Topic Title used and the fact that it's only assumed at this point that it is probably a future e-mail account that's in question .... and before I snag yet another system crash, this is being posted now <g>

Inquiring minds ask why I moved this posting from E-Mail setup to Help .... let's start with the Topic Title ....  Questionable, but ...????  open up the post .... " am very interested in using Spamcop" .... hmmm, not a "setup" question yet, as one could still guess / question just what type of account that's in question. 

"1. Will Spamcop retrieve my e-mails automatically from my ISP"

Definitely a FAQ item.

"how often"

covered in lots of ways in different places, but an easier approach is for the user to make known the apparent requirements.  I have dealt with interesting people that had a slow computer, a slow modem, and to make up for all that slow stuff, set up their e-mail client to check for new e-mail every 15 seconds .. and wondering why they seemed to have so many "issues" with their e-mail client goofing up ...???

Then we finally get around to the product mentioned in the Topic Title, but this still doesn't seem to be a "how do I get my system to talk to SpamCop e-mail servers" ... most of which is already found in the FAQ, especially when noting that Outlook Express is to be the e-mail client.

So at this point, I decided that this post was not so much of a "how do I set things up" as a generic request for data, most of which is already in the FAQ.  Made the move, attempted to step back a few pages and do a refresh to get things back in sync, and got yet another system crash here ... thus no follow up post from me at the time.

Anyway, back now ... that the "worry" is about overloading the other ISP account is yet another call to check the FAQ for the entries dealing with issues of allowing the Folders in a SpamCop e-mail account to get overloaded.  And if the user is "away" and not checking e-mail, why would it be critical as to how often e-mail was checked anyway?

Back to the Topic Title, if the user is "away" and we make the assumption that G-Lock is some tool used on his/her system, there is no connection to the first question at this point (and noting that this wasn't a setup issue for accessing a SpamCop e-mail account) .... thus far, we don't know if a laptop is involved, such that the same computer is involved, or are looking at some other type of access to any e-mail account .. local library, internet cafe, friend's house, etc ....

http://www.glocksoft.com/sc/

"G-Lock SpamCombat is email filtering software that lets you eliminate all unwanted messages at the server level without receiving them with your email client."

This actually sounds a bit scary in trying to make things happen between the existing ISP, user's client, and the SpamCop servers.  I get the funny feeling that the words "lost e-mail" are just around the corner, and sorting out who and what did the deletion is not going to be fun.

Anyway, I still don't see this post/Topic as yet fitting the E-Mail Set-up Forum .... and the E-mail Forum is still a bit of a question ... again, starting with the Topic Title used and the fact that it's only assumed at this point that it is probably a future e-mail account that's in question .... and before I snag yet another system crash, this is being posted now <g>

15559[/snapback]

To Wazoo,

What on earth was all the above about. Surely all you had to say is that you have moved ths topic to the help topic.

Also you could have just asked "What computer will you be using, home computer, laptop ect. (Home computer)

Also I have been to your site checking QA and reading the forum messages on and off for several weeks, just check your web site statistics.

Perhaps I did not make my questions very clear so I will try to explain a bit more,

The reason I wanted to know whether Spamcop will pick up my mail even if I am not online for a few days is I would like spamcop to delete known spam for me, hopefully I can set the days my e-mail will be deleted from your server, not just 2 weeks, maybe every 2 days? so that when I go online I will not have a ton of spam to check, I know some false spam will probably be deleted, but for me it would be worth it. Also the reason I asked about SpamCombat is because it is a paid version and thought I could still use it as a second defence somehow.

Arf

I would like spamcop to delete known spam for me, hopefully I can set the days my e-mail will be deleted from your server, not just 2 weeks, maybe every 2 days? so that when I go online I will not have a ton of spam to check...

No, you can only set a value for how long things stay in your Trash, and then they only get purged upon a login to the webmail system, so if trash a buch of items and don't log back into the webmail system, the items will stay in your Trash indefinitely.

As for Held Mail, people have asked to be able to set the value for the amount of time that Held Mail is retained, but here's the answer given:

"Making this configurable is very complicated from a technical standpoint."

So that was basically a "no."

The Held Mail is supposed to be automatically deleted after 14 days, but I've run multiple tests on this feature, and have yet to see any of my Held Mail go away, even after three weeks or much more time. This is a growing problem for us SC email users and my reports about this problem are either met with restatements of the 14-day feature (which is broken) or silence. But I'm a pretty stubborn person so I won't be letting this go unanswered. The most recent discussion thread on this is at:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2396

dt

To Wazoo,

What on earth was all the above about.  Surely all you had to say is that you have moved ths topic to the help topic.

I received about a half-dozen PMs asking me why this Topic was moved. One answer to all.

Also you could have just asked "What computer will you be using, home computer, laptop ect. (Home computer)

There's a number of things that I (or others) could have asked. Yet, why would you be expecting the entire staff of mind-readers to drop everything and run to your query and attempt to handle everything that you forgot to mention, ask, point out, include .....????

Also I have been to your site checking QA and reading the forum messages on and off for several weeks, just check your web site statistics.

I'm sorry, but none of the sites I manage have a thing to do with SpamCop. I have no access to any of the SpamCop servers.

Perhaps I did not make my questions very clear so I will try to explain a bit more,

The reason I wanted to know whether Spamcop will pick up my mail even if I am not online for a few days is I would like spamcop to delete known spam for me, hopefully I can set the days my e-mail will be deleted from your server, not just 2 weeks, maybe every 2 days? so that when I go online I will not have a ton of spam to check, I know some false spam will probably be deleted, but for me it would be worth it.

And now you're delving into issues that are currently being discussed over in the E-Mail Forum. And if you'll do your own walking around over there, you'll find that there seems to be an issue at present, so there's no way to give you an answer here and now.

Also the reason I asked about SpamCombat is because it is a paid version and thought I could still use it as a second defence somehow.

Yes, and I would have sworn that I also talked to this in the post you quoted, perhaps another post in this Topic .... and again, I didn't see this as an E-Mail Set-up issue, especially when you are still wandering around wondering if you'll even try a SpamCop account. At least, sign up for a free account and see what it's all about.

PM from user;

Please remove my membership and any messages from the Spamcop forum.

Thanks,

Arf

Deleting accounts is not within my power.

Deleting comments and discussions is out of the norm. Had it just been one post and only I had responded, maybe not that much of a decision, I might have done it. However, there are several folks talking to various points in that Topic, so it's a public thing. Deleting just your comments would leave what everyone else was taling about and referring to a bit distorted.

Archived