Is this spam?

rossmpersonal

I received an email with the body "This is an autoresponder. I'll never see your message." and the subject "Re: I'm in love". I never sent an e-mail with the subject "I'm in love" or "Re: I'm in love". Is this an e-mail that a spammer is sending to validate my e-mail address to make sure it exists or is it something else?

You're the only one with access to the headers of this e-mail. It might be a bounce, it might be a totally forged e-mail, it might be that you're missing that one chance in a million for true love .... Can you tell me where my last 100 spams came from?

There is an entry in the FAQ that may relate to your query .. look for "why am I getting all these Bounces" for starters.

From your description, I'd say that this is worm-related. There's a mass-mailing worm named "Mabutu" that sometimes has a Subject line of "I'm in love." Someone whose computer has "seen" your email address is infected, and it sent an infected message to an outdated address on a system that produces the autoresponder message you mentioned (many of the domains hosted at the Alabanza.com server farm do this). The autoresponse went to your address because that's the one that the infected computer put into the "From" on the message.

There's nothing you can do in this sort of situation except to use your email software to filter out (send to a folder) any further messages with the characteristics of the autoresponse you've already received.

dt

Archived