How can I stop 'Spamcop Quick reporting data'

I regularly report my missed spam through the web mail interface. This results in a quick reporting report. I do not want this report, I do not need this report, and all I do is delete it. I want to not recieve it in the first place. I've tried two filters, fist filtering on from and then on teh subject line, and nothing happens.

The nick is because I on't like to have to re-register just ot get help. isn't my spamcop account and payment enough so that I do't have to spend more time registering for yet another random BB.

Just as with the SpamCop toolset, you could have test run a "free trial" simply by reading through things that others have posted. That you chose to take a pre-emptive strike and badmouth those that do spend/volunteer their time to offer assistance, and in such as visible spot .... hmmm, think I have a bit of attitude coming in .... You barge in, hang your sign, use terms that are confusing (are you using quick-reporting or not?) and then try to justify all of this for some fairly silly reasons ... not sure why you'd actually expect to receive much help at this point .. so let's just make your case ...

You may not want the report generated from quick reporting but it is still your responsibilty to validate that the quick reports that you did send went to the correct locations.

If you really do not want to receive the reports generated by quick reporting, then DO NOT QUICK REPORT ANYTHING.

It is blind reports like you that create excessive false reports. If you do not want to take the time to do it right, don't do it at all

Come back with a new nickname and a new attitude and maybe you'll actually get some help. And like you were just told...if you're not willing to go through the Quick reporting data messages to be sure that you're not accidentally reporting innocent parties, then don't report at all.

dt

Just as with the SpamCop toolset, you could have test run a "free trial" simply by reading through things that others have posted.

I have. There was nothign about stopping Quick reporting reports, aside form another users unanswered post.

If you are familar with the Webmail 'Report a spam' are completely useless, because even if you make a report in error, it is too late). All they provide are links to detailed in formation on who was reported. Why woudl I want these?

That you chose to take a pre-emptive strike and badmouth those that do spend/volunteer their time to offer assistance, and in such as visible spot ....  hmmm, think I have a bit of attitude coming in .... 

Actually I am bad mouthing Spamcop's pay for service (or lack of service) and thier silly requirements to reregister for another account when I have already registered for an account and payed them money. Why not integrate this into their accont area? It is silly and wasteful (of my time).

You barge in, hang your sign, use terms that are confusing  (are you using quick-reporting or not?)

Yes and I am using the Webmail 'Report as spam', because they ar ethe same thing.

and then try to justify all of this for some fairly silly reasons ...  not sure why you'd actually expect to receive much help at this point .. so let's just make your case ...

I expect to get help from an employee at Spamcop because I payed for this serivce, and expectin service when I pay for something is what I usually do. I don't really case if non-Spamcop employees chime in or not. Althought if they could be helpful (unlike the first three replies) I woudl welcome it.

...Please avail yourself of the opportunity for a refund (Pricing and Contact Us form, Fill in the form and in the drop-down list labeled "Please select your type of question" select "I want to cancel my account"). Then we'll be able to spend our time helping people who are more interested in trying to get help for their problems than in complaining about what they consider poor service.

I see Wazoo moved this while I was writting a reply. It is nice to see that the system saves your message on a clipboard when it is unable to find the original post becuase it was either moved or deleted.

Actually I am bad mouthing Spamcop's pay for service (or lack of service) and thier silly requirements to reregister for another account when I have already registered for an account and payed them money. Why not integrate this into their accont area? It is silly and wasteful (of my time).
Do you really what to use your valid spamcop email address as your forum log in making it available to anyone to use for any purpose?

Also the forum is a joint function between reporting and email which actually reside is separate parts of the country (east coast/west coast) Reporting accounts did not require logging in until just recently.

Using your logic what would you say about my work situation where I:

1) log into SCO Unix (username/password)

2) log into windows (citrix interface within a Unix window) with separate username/password

3) log into the company email with separate username/password)

4) If I need to log into the company web site it requires still another username/password)

It just boils down to different systems, different logins.

I expect to get help from an employee at Spamcop because I payed for this serivce, and expectin service when I pay for something is what I usually do. I don't really case if non-Spamcop employees chime in or not. Althought if they could be helpful (unlike the first three replies) I woudl welcome it.
How much tech support do you think $30.00 should provide especially after you deduct the cost of the one year email service it provides?

If SpamCop charged $30.00/month, then I too would be expecting better tech support, but they don't.

At $30.00/year it is the best deal in town.

Since you think that advise telling you why it is not a good idea to do what you are asking is not helpful, or that what you want is not available is not helpful, it is quite clear that you are not seriously looking for help. You just what things your way period. It just does not work that way.

My recommendation, Take Steve T's advise

Please avail yourself of the opportunity for a refund

I have.  There was nothign about stopping Quick reporting reports, aside form another users unanswered post.

If you are familar with the Webmail 'Report a spam' are completely useless, because even if you make a report in error, it is too late).  All they provide are links to detailed in formation on who was reported.  Why woudl I want these?

Actually I am bad mouthing Spamcop's pay for service (or lack of service) and thier silly requirements to reregister for another account when I have already registered for an account and payed them money.  Why not integrate this into their accont area?  It is silly and wasteful (of my time).

Yes and I am using the Webmail 'Report as spam', because they ar ethe same thing.

I expect to get help from an employee at Spamcop because I payed for this serivce, and expectin service when I pay for something is what I usually do.  I don't really case if non-Spamcop employees chime in or not.  Althought if they could be helpful (unlike the first three replies) I woudl welcome it.

15841[/snapback]

You paid for the mail service and the reporting service comes with it. Webmail and reporting are two different entities although reporting can be done through Webmail. The help you receive for reporting will come through this forum. The attitudes you receive here only reflect your own.

HTH HAND

For people who are used to calling a help desk, using a web forum (or a newsgroup) for help does seem like a lot of trouble.

However, spamcop was originally designed for techies by techies. A user group is really a much better way to get help - there are different 'fixes' sometimes. If one person doesn't explain it the way you understand it, there may be someone else who can. It is very difficult for one help desk person to remember all the possible problems and how to fix them. In a user forum, if one person doesn't, another one will. And if there is really a bug, it surfaces very quickly when several knowledgable people have the same problem.

I don't really case if non-Spamcop employees chime in or not. Althought if they could be helpful (unlike the first three replies) I woudl welcome it.

I think you were told at least once, and perhaps more than once, that you get the report for a reason. If you do not want to be responsible for the reports that are sent, then you should just use the filtering aspect of the spamcop email service and delete your held mail. That is the only answer you will get from spamcop users or spamcop employees.

The 'Report spam' button is not like the ones at Hotmail and Yahoo where you are reporting to Hotmail or Yahoo and they use the information to design content filters. The 'Report spam' button means that you are reporting to the ISP who allowed spam to be sent.

Spamcop does not report for you. The spamcop software looks at the headers of the spam email and automatically chooses the proper abuse address. Lots of things can go wrong because it is automatic and if certain things don't process correctly, then the result is incorrect. It doesn't happen very frequently, but it does happen. Many seasoned reporters will not use quick reporting for that reason.

The spamcop software merely prepares a report for the reporter to approve or disapprove. The reporter is the one who is responsible for the accuracy of the report. If the recipient of the report replies, s/he will reply to you, not spamcop.

As has been suggested, perhaps you did not understand what you were buying when you paid for the spamcop email service. If the explanation of what spamcop reporting really is, does not fit your expectations, then you are able to cancel your account.

OTOH, you may like the idea of actually contacting the person(s) who are allowing spammers to operate. If so, then you may want to continue reporting, but not use the quick reporting, but only report what you can easily do in a day. (sometimes that's none for me.)

Miss Betsy

For people who are used to calling a help desk, using a web forum (or a newsgroup) for help does seem like a lot of trouble.

However, spamcop was originally designed for techies by techies. A user group is really a much better way to get help - there are different 'fixes' sometimes. If one person doesn't explain it the way you understand it, there may be someone else who can. It is very difficult for one help desk person to remember all the possible problems and how to fix them. In a user forum, if one person doesn't, another one will. And if there is really a bug, it surfaces very quickly when several knowledgable people have the same problem.

I don't mind the forum so much, just the waste in time of registering again, getting a confirmation email, and so on and so forth. A _vastly_ superior system is to use a propper "help desk"/"help ticket" where sucessfuls resolutions are published into a well maintained FAQ. Thus you get the best of both worlds, the ability to share in other people's solutions.

I think you were told at least once, and perhaps more than once, that you get the report for a reason. If you do not want to be responsible for the reports that are sent, then you should just use the filtering aspect of the spamcop email service and delete your held mail. That is the only answer you will get from spamcop users or spamcop employees.

I've been told be a bunch of people who don't seem to understand the report at all.

Spamcop does not report for you. The spamcop software looks at the headers of the spam email and automatically chooses the proper abuse address.

This is plain and simple WRONG. Here is an exaple from an unadulterated Quick Reporting data report I just got for some missed spam:

spam Quick Report

As you can clearly see, Spamcop automagically reported to all of the relevant abuse addresses with NO intervention from me. So you don't understand. Perhaps you don't have a paid webmail account? Perhaps you don't use it or have never used the webmail feature (a check box in a modified version of Horde) 'Report as spam'. But when a peice of spam gets through, and needs to be reported (so you don't get 10 mor elater), all one has to do is to check the box next to the email to be reported and hit 'report as spam' along the top of the pane.

Presto...spam reports are flying without any intervention, and the useless Quick reporting data reports are generated by Spamcop's system.

The spamcop software merely prepares a report for the reporter to approve or disapprove.

Nope, see above. There is no chance to take it back once it has been sent.

As has been suggested, perhaps you did not understand what you were buying when you paid for the spamcop email service.

Nope, I fully understood as I was a customer of their free service before. I wanted them to filter email from blacklisted servers, which they do well. I also wanted to be able to report new servers as they cam available, which I can.

I just don't want a useless report which is nothing but a nuiscance.

This is plain and simple WRONG. Here is an exaple from an unadulterated Quick Reporting data report I just got for some missed spam:

You are choosing to send reports without verifying that they are accurate. If the parser hiccups, the report data shows that that is what happened. Then you are responsible for correcting any listing and for apologizing to the report recipients. That is why you get a report on what was sent - because /you are responsible/ for what was sent. spamcop is not going to turn off the report because /you are responsible/. If you ignore the reports and reports are sent irresponsibly, spamcop will turn off the ability to quick report.

A _vastly_ superior system is to use a propper "help desk"/"help ticket" where sucessfuls resolutions are published into a well maintained FAQ.

Since I don't have a lot of experience with help desks except with spamcop, Quicken, and McAfee, I am not quite sure what you mean. My preference, after my initial encounter with spamcop, is the user forum for all three.

And since Wazoo has spent a lot of time on getting FAQ organized, I suggest that an explanation be included in the FAQ of why a user cannot turn off the reports from Quick reporting of where reports were sent.

Perhaps, spamcop_has_bad_help_IMO will hang in here until we find the right words to convince hir that the results of quick reporting are essential and should be looked at so that others will have no misunderstanding when they read the FAQ.

Miss Betsy

There seems to be a bit of confusion in terminalogy, so to an extent both Miss Betsy and the OP are both right.

Unfortunately Miss Betsy's choice of words allowed for an incorrect interpretation by the OP.

I will try to state it in another way that hopefully the OP will understand. I know that Miss Betsy already does.

It is true that when you use quick reporting you do NOT have the option of reviewing the reports before they are sent. Quick reporting is just that - QUICK.

You do still remain responsible for the reports that you do send and that is why the AFTER THE FACT" report is sent to you for your review, just in case that a mistake did happen.

That fact that the OP does not want to take the time to review the report is the very reason he should not use quick reporting.

If you read Miss Betsy post the way it was meant to be read it says exactly the same thing that I have just repeated only using different words, but the same meaning.

So,,,,,,,,,

Why don't you go into webmail and create a filter rule to send the auto replies to your trash folder?????

Yes I am a paid member for many years!

15865[/snapback]

Because webmail is only one way I check my mail from spamcop's servers (and in general I use it onyl to report unfiltered spam and/or remove unwanted emails so they do not get to anohter device). I also use a PDA, mobile phone, and PC. On 2 or these 3, filtering isn't an option.

The deep problem is that the webmail rules are webmail rules, rather than server-side rules which are executed irrespective of the use of webmail (all but whitelists from what I can garner form the forum and FAQ).

Since I don't have a lot of experience with help desks except with spamcop, Quicken, and McAfee, I am not quite sure what you mean. My preference, after my initial encounter with spamcop, is the user forum for all three.

And since Wazoo has spent a lot of time on getting FAQ organized, I suggest that an explanation be included in the FAQ of why a user cannot turn off the reports from Quick reporting of where reports were sent.

Perhaps, spamcop_has_bad_help_IMO will hang in here until we find the right words to convince hir that the results of quick reporting are essential and should be looked at so that others will have no misunderstanding when they read the FAQ.

Well, symantec has a good system of rep replied tickets where useful replies are catalogued into a searchable knowledge base. For instance on symantec enterprise KB, I can firs search abotu a problem (say a false positive). if nothing turns up, I can post a new message. A symantec rep will see it. If the solutoin already exists, or it is a known problem, then will close it and put a reference to the previously answered ticket of the same question. If not, they will reply and get what ever information needed to resolve the problem and then it will be entered into the KB for others who may the same problem.

Yes,but the FAQ didn't answer my question (official or unofficial), not did a search of 'Quick Reporting data' where it turned up this question previously asked but unanswered.

And it's he. But I just don't see how I will be convinced that sifting through reports when I do not have a basis to detect if the parser munged the header and sent the wrong report is going to do me or anyone any good. If it reports that a report was sent to abuse[at]random.web.hosting.fr how am I supposed to verify that this is the correct abuse? My interest lies in not recieving furhter spam. Period. And often if I do not report a spammer I will get 4 or 6 rom the exact spam source with in a couple of hours before it is stopped. So I still dont see the point in recieving spamreports, particularly via email when I goal is to cut down on unwanted email as much as possible (and reporting spammers does help accomplish this goal)

It is true that when you use quick reporting you do NOT have the option of reviewing the reports before they are sent.  Quick reporting is just that - QUICK.

You do still remain responsible for the reports that you do send and that is why the AFTER THE FACT" report is sent to you for your review, just in case that a mistake did happen.

15868[/snapback]

Ok, but I make sure the mail is indeed spam before I send the reports. And as I said above, if there was a mistake in teh parsing, I'm in no position to expeditiously determine if it made a mistake. I'm sure when it comes to understanding who is actually sending an email, the spamcop bot is orders of magnitude better than I am.

That fact that the OP does not want to take the time to review the report is the very reason he should not use quick reporting.

If you read Miss Betsy post the way it was meant to be read it says exactly the same thing that I have just repeated only using different words, but the same meaning.

No, it is not. The reason I repot is simple *I* want *my* account to recieve less. Getting open relays blacklisted ASAP is in *my* best interest. Yes, it si a selfish motivation, but improving my internet experience was the reason I signed up in the first place.

15860[/snapback]

...That sure isn't my experience! These fora are far and away faster and better in their sphere than any Help Desk I've ever experienced! :D <big g>

It is true that when you use quick reporting you do NOT have the option of reviewing the reports before they are sent.  Quick reporting is just that - QUICK.

Ok, but I make sure the mail is indeed spam before I send the reports. And as I said above, if there was a mistake in teh parsing, I'm in no position to expeditiously determine if it made a mistake. I'm sure when it comes to understanding who is actually sending an email, the spamcop bot is orders of magnitude better than I am.

<snip>

15873[/snapback]

...The most frequent mistake seems to be reports going to the reporter's (that's you, in this case) own e-mail or Internet service provider (ref SpamCop FAQ: Why does SpamCop want to send a report to my own network administrator?). It's something easily seen if you review the reports. In my case, I see it (unless I'm careless) before it's sent, because I don't use quick reporting. In your case, if it happened then you would send an apology letter to your provider's abuse desk and to the SpamCop deputies. If you do it too many times or without apology, you are subject to having your account terminated (ref SpamCop FAQ: I have been falsely and/or maliciously accused of spamming, what can I do?).

...The most frequent mistake seems to be reports going to the reporter's (that's you, in this case) own e-mail or Internet service provider

Whew. Good news for me that my 'provider' (not and ISP but a very large US university) has an extremely simple mal setup and is trusted (as well as particpiating in other spam lessening technologies), so this is n't a concern for me.

On your other point, I just don't do this. I don't subscribe to random lists, and I always give list removals a chance to work. Freelotto, OTOH, does have me on one of their lists and I never subscribed to their service, nor do they provide a reasonable wayto be removed from their list. Oh, and I report them every time ;)

Because webmail is only one way I check my mail from spamcop's servers (and in general I use it onyl to report unfiltered spam and/or remove unwanted emails so they do not get to anohter device). I also use a PDA, mobile phone, and PC. On 2 or these 3, filtering isn't an option.
If your issues is that you do not want to be forced to down load the report to your PDA because of the varrious way you access your mail, there is a solution to that problem. But keep in mind that this is the first time you even mentioned the PDA and even at that I am reading much between the lines to create my own question on your behalf.

You can send an email to deputies <at> spamcop.net and request that the report be sent to a different address (other than the Spamcop address) which would permit you to control how and when you down load it. (by the way, this has been addressed before in this forum) But stopping the report is simply not an option.

I always give list removals a chance to work
Beware of click here to remove. Unless the email is NOT spam in the tradional sense, but only something that you do not want; requesting removal most often has just the opposite result by validating your email address it becomes more valuable to spammers. Only the antispam bulk mailers have a reputation for honoring removal requests, they hate spam just as much as we do.

The deep problem is that the webmail rules are webmail rules, rather than server-side rules which are executed irrespective of the use of webmail (all but whitelists from what I can garner form the forum and FAQ).
Looks like you have not read the forum very closely.

Messages not Filtered - Why?, Faq entry?

FAQ about the personal webmail filters, Client filters within webmail

All filters are applied at the server level except for the personal filters which only work within the webmail interface

Also why don't you take the time to read the following, it contains some great suggestions on how to use spamcop in different ways yielding different results.

How I use spam Cop, A detailed example

Whew.  Good news for me that my 'provider' (not and ISP but a very large US university) has an extremely simple mal setup and is trusted (as well as particpiating in other spam lessening technologies), so this is n't a concern for me.

15877[/snapback]

Except the problems can happen at any time even if it normally works OK.

For instance, if spamcop is having connection problems, the parse trying to do DNS lookups fails and stops parsing the message too soon, causing the report to go to the wrong place. This can happen to ANY spam message during ANY parse and report your ISP, possibly for a whole page of reports. It has happened before and while I have not heard of this situation in about a year now (during the DDOS attacks), there is a chance it could happen again.

Every report you receive should be scanned looking AT LEAST for your university abuse address.

Because webmail is only one way I check my mail from spamcop's servers (and in general I use it onyl to report unfiltered spam and/or remove unwanted emails so they do not get to anohter device).  I also use a PDA, mobile phone, and PC.  On 2 or these 3, filtering isn't an option.

15869[/snapback]

That is where the filter is! In You Webmail!

It works, you filter it and you will never see it. it will go to trash............

login Webmail

While you are in your inbox at the top click "filters"

Then when the new screen comes up click "Edit your filters"

when the new screen comes up click "new rule"

You should know what do do from there.

Just send the autoreplies to the trash and you will never see them.

Believe me, it is easy.

and I always give list removals a chance to work.

If you are really serious about reducing the amount of spam to your inbox, then NEVER unsubscribe to anything you have not subscribed to. Sometimes I make it plain in my report that I am willing to be listwashed (for spam that really does have something to do with my business), but that doesn't work either usually. And I have anecdotes about what convinced me even before the FTC recommended not to use the 'remove' why I will not use the remove.

Also, in order to use the list removal, one has to open the email. I never do that either - there are too many web bugs that phone home and say 'someone's reading this! Got another live one!"

The idiots don't play fair to start with - there is no reason to think that they will honor list removals.

Well, symantec has a good system of rep replied tickets where useful replies are catalogued into a searchable knowledge base. For instance on symantec enterprise KB, I can firs search abotu a problem (say a false positive). if nothing turns up, I can post a new message. A symantec rep will see it. If the solutoin already exists, or it is a known problem, then will close it and put a reference to the previously answered ticket of the same question. If not, they will reply and get what ever information needed to resolve the problem and then it will be entered into the KB for others who may the same problem.

I haven't used the search function of forum posts very much so I don't know how well it works - others seem to be able to find the information they want to. I can't see how symantec's system works very differently than this forum except that if the poster couldn't find an answer on his own, and doesn't understand the links that are given, in this forum people keep trying to explain. I don't know about symantec's system, but very often posters don't give enough information on the first post to know what they are wanting to know. Others don't understand the answers (one poster thought ISP was 'jargon')

The spamcop FAQ are not well organized, but Wazoo has recently done a tremendous amount of work to make it work better. My theory has always been that Julian deliberately doesn't make the FAQ clearer because persistence and ability to decipher clues is a valuable trait in a spamfighter!

Miss Betsy

You can send an email to deputies <at> spamcop.net and request that the report be sent to a different address (other than the Spamcop address) which would permit you to control how and when you down load it. (by the way, this has been addressed before in this forum) But stopping the report is simply not an option.

Finally a solution :D Becasue if you can send it to another email address is is as good as stopped (while possibly indemnifying Spamcop in teh way they probably want to be).

I sure didn't see this solution it in half a dozen searches, and it should be added to the FAQ.

Under reporting only accounts the reply address is user adjustable.

With email accounts there is not direct link to be able to change it. There is a back door, but the reliability is questionable.

The change can be made adminsitratively

By the way, this topic has been discuss before.

See Responses to reports, I want them to go somewhere else

Actually on second thought, this is a slightly different issue, but definately related.

It looks like I gave you the wrong address though see below It seems that I just can not keep the two sides of the house straight (email / reporting)

For reasons beyond the scope of this discussion, is it possible to set something up so that my "registered address" with spamcop is NOT <secret id [at] cesmail.net>, but another email address that belongs to me?

If you want to send me your username ([at]cesmail address) and the home address you want the mail sent to and I'll change it adminstratively. Write to me at service[at]admin.spamcop.net

- Don -

Note: email address at cesmail.net and spamcop.net are basicly the same thing just a different domain names.

Had you taken the time to explain what you wanted better an answer would have been provided quicker, as it was I had to guess at the question simply based upon your last post when you indicated that you down loaded mail to your PDA.

Archived