NEEDED: Ability to skip past old held mail to new

Wish me a happy birthday, because today is my day.

"Did you get the ecard I sent you?" my sister asked. "I sent it hours ago."

"It's probably in my spam folder right now," I told her, "but this sytem I'm using isn't designed to let me access it. I have to process these 5600 bogus messages in lots of 100 before I can get to the one you sent me, and the system goes sooooooo slowly... I just don't think I can get to it."

I expect my next held-mail report will tell me the message is sitting there, but that won't help me get to it. One of two features would solve my problem:

* Allow users to page through their held mail. If only there were something at the bottom of page one like this:

Pages of Held Mail: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next >>

That would let me jump past the first several thousand bogus messages to find my sister's card to me, and it wouldn't require that I make a decision about every message before getting there.

* Put links in the held mail reports so that when I see the summary of a message I want, I can go directly to view that individual message. While working on the held mail report, it would be helpful to put the dates in there for these messages too.

But alas, I'm stuck...

Bill the Birthday Boy

I have to process these 5600 bogus messages in lots of 100 before I can get to the one you sent me...

No, you don't, if you simply alter your settings the webmail Options. Here's how:

1. Log into https://webmail.spamcop.net

2. Click on Options

3. Click on Display Options (in the "Other Options" section)

4. Select the "Arrival Time" option for "Default sorting criteria"

4. Select "Descending" for the "Default sorting direction"

5. Click on "Save Options"

Allow users to page through their held mail. If only there were something at the bottom of page one like this:

Pages of Held Mail: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56  Next >>

Ah...wait...it looks like you're not in the webmail system...or if you were, you might have clicked on the big "Held Mail" icon....don't do that! Instead, select the "Held Mail" in the upper right hand corner and click on the Open Folder icon.

There you'll see the options you're asking for, and more. Another useful option to select is the amount of characters of a message to "preview" along with the Subject line...try this:

1. Log into https://webmail.spamcop.net

2. Click on Options

3. Click on "Mail Previews" (in the left-hand column)

4. Select "Enable message previews"

5. Select 100 for "Characters to display"

6. Select "Strip linebreaks?" and "Show previews for unread messages only?" but not

"Show previews in tooltips?"

7. Click on Save Options

DT

From your statements I will assume that you are using the VER interface and what you say is very true.

There are two other options to get around the 100 message limit.

1) use the WebMail interace and set the display value to a higher number.

2) use IMAP on you local client (to save downloading time, configure to NOT downlaod the message, just the header). Note: not all clients will permit the use if IMAP, it does work great with OE.

Edit:

It looks like DavidT posted while I was still writting.

For option one, see DavidT's very detailed instructions

IMAP remains another option

A couple of things .. why so many e-mails in Held to begin with? Why haven't you whitelisted your sister? Some reason why you don't have another account that she can use to directly contact you (on the premise that she would not sign you up for garbage, like using some off-the-wall web-site to send this card? <g>)

A couple of things .. why so many e-mails in Held to begin with?

Maybe because they aren't expiring after 14 days as they're supposed to?????

Why haven't you whitelisted your sister?

An "ecard" wouldn't be sent directly from his sister's system....it would come from some third party, and a lot of those will indeed wind up in Held Mail.

DT

Yes, there was that thought of redirecting to one of your existing Topics ... but wanted to hear that this wasn't a case of receiving 5,000 spams a day <g> As far as the e-card thing, i think I did mention that <g> I recently had some folks pass through, during the cathing up of the last 20 years since last "together" . spam came up, I went through a lot of explaining ... and naturally, the next thing that happens is that I get an e-card from HallMark, allegedly from "her" .... I've not taken the look and actually haven't came up with an appropriate "response" to her <g> ... "Thanks" just doesn't quite convey the sensation I'm feeling <g>

A couple of things .. why so many e-mails in Held to begin with?  Why haven't you whitelisted your sister?  Some reason why you don't have another account that she can use to directly contact you (on the premise that she would not sign you up for garbage, like using some off-the-wall web-site to send this card? <g>)

15938[/snapback]

I'm the admin for 1200 domains, plus 300 websites. You have no idea the amount of spam I get. All told, they come in at the rate of about 10 a minute during the day, and double that at niight. Some nights, they come in 50 a minute.

I'm the admin for 1200 domains, plus 300 websites. You have no idea the amount of spam I get. All told, they come in at the rate of about 10 a minute during the day, and double that at niight. Some nights, they come in 50 a minute.

Not all of us are that "fortunate" <g> ... but, that's what I meant be waiting for the original poster coming back and answering before going with the "14 day delete isn't working" or if there might be a reason as you're suggesting. (Though the thought of a SYSOP/SYSADMIN having problems snagging an e-mail from a family member does point to one end of the scale <g>)

Wait....don't jumpt to conclusions about the OP's mail situation. I'm the admin for only a few dozen domains and having it filtered though a single SpamCop inbox is indeed a valid thing to do. Much of my personal mail is also filtered through the same account, so my situation is similar, but on a smaller scale.

For example, I have both personal and administrative addresses at my primary web-design and hosting domain, so I have many of those addresses forwarded to my SpamCop address. If I was getting as much junk as the OP, I might consider having two SC accounts...one for the admin addresses for all those domains and one for my personal addresses...unless the addresses aren't separated out (although I'd recommend that). I recently changed the addresses I use for domain registrations, across all the domains for which I'm responsible, and that's helped cut down the flow a little, but spammers have already harvested the new addresses from the registrars, so it's going to pick up again.

DT

Topic started by benac ...  SysAdmin post by Matt621

what's missing is any kind of response from benac thus far.

15982[/snapback]

Thanks Wazoo, I missed the fact that the poster had changed

As such my response makes no sense as it treats the two individuals as it they were the same one individual which was my assumption. Need to look at the name of the poster first. Sorry about that

I Have deleted my post.

For others reading this. Disregard DavidT's post

Wait....don't jumpt to conclusions about the OP's mail situation.
as it is a reply to my now deleted post.

Archived