Gray list and SPF

I've heard of a sort of graylist system that should be very effective to reduse spam. Most virus infected computers is pc's with a non-intelligent SMTP agent that doesn't resend mails that has bounced. As I understand it, the graylist system on the receiving mail server first rejects the mail, but enter it in a graylist. If the sender computer resend the mail it is accepted. This has stopped a great deal of the spam we get in our mail boxes. Actually we almost don't get any spam anymore.

Also, our postmaster have begun using SPF. Domain owners identify sending mail servers in DNS. SMTP receivers verify the envelope sender address against this information, and can distinguish legitimate mail from spam before any message data is transmitted.

Does SpamCop use graylist and SPF?

Henrik

IMHO, greylisting goes against what spamcop is trying to do. I can see it is a great tool for use by ISP's and/or companies to reduce their spam load (and virus load as well, I would assume) but spamcop's "mission" is to accept all message and then try to classify them as spam/non-spam and save the spam to a seperate folder for investigation/reporting.

Personally, I want to receive all of my spam in my Held Mail area because I want people to fix their machines. It is the same reason I send manual LARTs to the admins of virus infected machines.

I also think that if greylisting becomes widely used, that the virus writers/spam senders will modify their code to simply repeat the process automatically and the second message will get through to those greylisted addresses and everyone else will receive 2 messages.

As far as SPF, I believe spamcop has listed at least some of its servers, but that process is really using a part of the DNS system for other than originally intended and not all email software can utilize it.

Archived