Not on bl.spamcop.net list

rneedham

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you checked out the FAQ, specifically the "Why am I blocked" section?

It can be accessed right at the top of every section in this forum and is titled: "Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting"

Somewhere in there it will also tell you that the web page is not real time any longer, so you could be blocked (use dns method) but the page will not show it.

Also, if you provide an IP address you think is blocked, we could help further.

Yes I have read the faq and this has been going on for a little over a month now. We have not EVER had issues with black lists in the past until SpamCop cam along. We have never shown up in Bl database and for the last month and a half have not been listed in yours but ISP's who use you still bounce mail. If this can not be corrected and if SpamCop can not act in a fiduciary manner to the Internet as a whole then I will begin an anti-SpamCop campaign. I understand the purpose of Blists but blocking mail from a server who has passed every relay test including the tests which you link to from your site and blocking mail froma server who is not even in your Db is borderline unethical. We are not a relay and have not been for the last 6 years.

I understand the purpose of Blists but blocking mail from a server who has passed every relay test including the tests which you link to from your site and blocking mail froma server who is not even in your Db is borderline unethical.  We are not a relay and have not been for the last 6 years.

16057[/snapback]

Oh goody, been at least a couple of days since a cartoony threat. Let me ask again since you ignored the last request. If you will kindly post the IP of the server that you think is blocked, or even better, a copy of a reject message, we will be glad to help. Without this, we must wait for our psychics to get back from vacation, and that may take a while.

Also you must work on your reading comprehension. Spamcop is not a list of relays. I congratulate you for not being a relay but that does not mean there isn't mail coming from your system that people might consider spam. In addition, it doesn't rule out any of the other million ways spammers exploit system including the SMTP/AUTH hack.

Provide us some info and we might be able to shed some light.

Spamcop is not a list of open relays, what gave you that idea? If you read the FAQ you would know that.

If you are not on the Spamcop List and some ISP is blocking you then you are checking in the wrong place. Maybe you should be asking the ISP doing the blocking, maybe they have faulty software.

If you are **removed** then your mail servers IP is not listed but it "is" in other lists. If it is not then post the IP of the machine you think is blocked or post the reject message.

Your message has encountered delivery problems

to the following recipient(s):

skip[at]marlerenterprises.net

Delivery failed

550-rejected because 216.212.47.149 is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net extra 550 info: Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?216.212.47.149

michelle[at]marlerenterprises.net

Delivery failed

550-rejected because 216.212.47.149 is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net extra 550 info: Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?216.212.47.149

No recipients were successfully delivered to.

Edit: I see that you have posted some additonal information while I was writing this, so you may disregard portions of my message that relate to your last post

We are not listed in the SpamCop Db or any other blasklist Db but my hosted domains are still being rejected by email servers subscribing to this Bl.  How do I correct this>

16055[/snapback]

I will expand on the comments made by louisd (which I fully agree with)

First receipients of email and their ISP's have the right to accept and/or reject any mail based on their own policies. You do NOT have the right to force people or ISP's to accept your mail.

Second, Spamcop does NOT approve of the use of their list for BLOCKING mail, it was designed and recommended to be used to FILTER mail. If ISP's decide to use in incorrect as a blocking tool that too is their right.

So with that said, what is your question and how can we help. No information provided No help will be given.

"We" who is we - our crystal balls are not working today

Since most blocking lists tend to use IP numbers, "we" would have to be your blocked IP number which might be your personal IP number, your ISP's IP number, the IP number of some relay in the chain.

Who actually blocked it and using what as the base to make that decision.

ONLY YOU HAVE THIS INFORMATION and unless you share it by posting the ENTIRE rejection notice with COMPLETE headers you are wasting our time.

Your right, I do not see you in any blocklists. Your not in Spamcops. You should check the ISP you are trying to send your email to and ask them if they have some kind of error. They could have you in their private blocklist and are just returning a bad error message.

550-rejected because 216.212.47.149 is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net extra 550 info:  Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?216.212.47.149

16061[/snapback]

You've absolutely got a problem. Sender base shows an increase of 503% in the last day and 845% in the last month of mail volume. There are many possibilities, but a good guess, which seems to be right about 90% of the time, is an SMTP/AUTH hack.

See: http://news.spamcop.net/cgi-bin/fom?file=372

http://www.winnetmag.com/article/articleid/40507/40507.html

http://www.winnetmag.com/article/articleid/42406/42406.html

You need to contact the people responsible for the MX for your intended email recipient. In this case, it appears that the primary MX for "marlerenterprises.net" is "avmx.atgi.net" and "atgi.net" seems like a very peculiar host, from a quick scan of Google and trying to connect to their site. Looks like they are the ones who are screwing up. Here's the phone number from their "whois" info:

707-284-5000

dt

This is not an isolated instance. I host domains from around the country, (hence the use of WE), and I am seeing this problem over and over and over again. This is a real problem caused by SpamCop and as such the Fiduciary duty should fall to you to correct these problems with ISP's. I will let my customers know that we must increase our cost to them so that we can staff to play detective because of SpamCop. I will encourage my customers to put pressure on their ISP's to discontinue the use of SpamCop. You can call this a “cartoonish threat” if you wish but I am simply letting you know that you have created problems in the email system and judging from the adolescent responses from this thread, customer service and fiduciary responsibility is not top most in your company.

Thank you for your help.

You've absolutely got a problem.  Sender base shows an increase of 503% in the last day and 845% in the last month of mail volume.  There are many possibilities, but a good guess, which seems to be right about 90% of the time, is an SMTP/AUTH hack.

See: http://news.spamcop.net/cgi-bin/fom?file=372

Gee, what a surprise.  Seems like the spamcop listing is legit and the person making threats isn't.

16064[/snapback]

Good Pick, I missed that one. I should have looked more.

Maybe not this machine but not good in sightings for birch.net either:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=birch.ne...e=off&scoring=d

I will encourage my customers to put pressure on their ISP's to discontinue the use of SpamCop.  You can call this a “cartoonish threat” if you wish but I am simply letting you know that you have created problems in the email system and judging from the adolescent responses from this thread, customer service and fiduciary responsibility is not top most in your company.

Thank you for your help.

16066[/snapback]

Not that this will be read....

What part of this not being Spamcop issue don't you understand. If your mail is currently being rejected the ISP rejecting your mail is providing the wrong message. You are not on the list so there is NOTHING that spamcop can do. This is not uncommon, often mail admins reject mail for many different reasons but don't bother to configure proper rejection messages.

Oh, one other thing. You aren't dealing with representatives of "the company". The people that you are working with are simply users and advocates of the Spamcop system who do not get paid or compensated in any way for helping you out.

This is not an isolated instance.  I host domains from around the country, (hence the use of WE), and I am seeing this problem over and over and over again.

....then YOU aren't giving us enough information to help you.

SpamCop doesn't block your mail

The ISPs who use the SpamCop BL to block mail are blocking your mail

From the miniscule information you've provided, the ISPs must be in error

You can stop with the "cartooney threats" and bad attitute if you want people here to help you

dt

I will repeat the same information previous posted as you seem to be ignoring it.

I will expand on the comments made by louisd (which I fully agree with)

First receipients of email and their ISP's have the right to accept and/or reject any mail based on their own policies. You do NOT have the right to force people or ISP's to accept your mail.

Second, Spamcop does NOT approve of the use of their list for BLOCKING mail, it was designed and recommended to be used to FILTER mail. If ISP's decide to use in incorrect as a blocking tool that too is their right.

So with that said, what is your question and how can we help. No information provided No help will be given.

"We" who is we - our crystal balls are not working today

Since most blocking lists tend to use IP numbers, "we" would have to be your blocked IP number which might be your personal IP number, your ISP's IP number, the IP number of some relay in the chain.

Who actually blocked it and using what as the base to make that decision.

ONLY YOU HAVE THIS INFORMATION and unless you share it by posting the ENTIRE rejection notice with COMPLETE headers you are wasting our time.

If you continue in this vain, you will be labeled a Troll and ignored in the future.

This is not an isolated instance. I host domains from around the country, (hence the use of WE), and I am seeing this problem over and over and over again. This is a real problem caused by SpamCop

Blocklisting of your servers is certainly not an isolated instance. A glance at Senderbase shows multiple compromised servers belonging to Birch on multiple blocklists. You have very major problems, spam is regularly spewing from your servers, you'd do much better to shut the f*ck up and do something about your security before every one of your hacked servers is on every blocklist on the internet. The 'problem' is caused by YOUR incompetence, dont shoot the messenger. PS if the particular server you posted is not currently on the list, it probably has been, probably will be again and certainly should be.

I will repeat the same information previous posted as you seem to be ignoring it.

If you continue in this vain, you will be labeled a Troll and ignored in the future.

16073[/snapback]

I am getting bounced emails because of a listing on SpamCop.

The blocked IP is 69.56.198.194 which is "socrates.pghoster.com".

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=69.56.198.194

Email's have been bouncing for the past three days. This is a server that everyone who SMTP with mail hosted by PGHoster uses.

customer service and fiduciary responsibility is not top most in my (snip/your) company

you are right...we just fight spam by reporting the spew, some of which obviously comes from you servers, as long as you continue spamming you will be listed (in spamcop and every other block list in the global village). That responsability (or lack of it) and its consequences rest with you only...

Good luck!

I am getting bounced emails because of a listing on SpamCop.

The blocked IP is 69.56.198.194 which is "socrates.pghoster.com".

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=69.56.198.194

Email's have been bouncing for the past three days. This is a server that everyone who SMTP with mail hosted by PGHoster uses.

16080[/snapback]

Try taking a look at this site.http://dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=69.56.198.194+

When I checked it your IP was listed in 4 separate lists and was NOT listed in the SpamCop list

You have much bigger problems than SpamCop.

At least SpamCop's list has automatic deletions.

Also the reverse DNS does not match your post

Preparation:

The  reverse DNS entry for an IP is found by reversing the IP, adding it to "in-addr.arpa", and looking up the PTR record.

So, the reverse DNS entry for 69.56.198.194 is found by looking up the PTR record for

194.198.56.69.in-addr.arpa.

All DNS requests start by asking the root servers, and they let us know what to do next.

See How Reverse DNS Lookups Work for more information.

How I am searching:

Asking h.root-servers.net for 194.198.56.69.in-addr.arpa PTR record: 

h.root-servers.net says to go to dill.arin.NET. (zone: 69.in-addr.arpa.)

Asking dill.arin.NET. for 194.198.56.69.in-addr.arpa PTR record: 

dill.arin.net says to go to NS1.THEPLANET.COM. (zone: 198.56.69.in-addr.arpa.)

Asking NS1.THEPLANET.COM. for 194.198.56.69.in-addr.arpa PTR record:  Reports 69-56-198-194.theplanet.com.

Answer:

69.56.198.194 PTR record: 69-56-198-194.theplanet.com. [TTL 86400s] [A=None] *ERROR* A record does not point back to original IP.

refer back to the post by Wazoo

This is not an isolated instance.  I host domains from around the country, (hence the use of WE), and I am seeing this problem over and over and over again.  This is a real problem caused by SpamCop and as such the Fiduciary duty should fall to you to correct these problems with ISP's.  I will let my customers know that we must increase our cost to them so that we can staff to play detective because of SpamCop.  I will encourage my customers to put pressure on their ISP's to discontinue the use of SpamCop.  You can call this a “cartoonish threat” if you wish but I am simply letting you know that you have created problems in the email system and judging from the adolescent responses from this thread, customer service and fiduciary responsibility is not top most in your company.

Thank you for your help.

16066[/snapback]

Your server is being used by spammers to send spam using your resources. I suggest you have a fiduciary responsibility to your customers to not have your server used by spammers. We have a responsibility to our users to list those IPs which are being exploited by spammers. When your server or any other IP is sending spam it is listed and when it stops it is delisted.

Specifically your server is being used to relay spam because spammers have guessed the name/password combo and are authenticating and sending spam. Specifically pills spam not that it really matters what the spam is.

See these urls for suggestions on how to close your server to relay:

http://news.spamcop.net/cgi-bin/fom?file=372

Some of the IPs that you are relaying for include:

This has been going on since at least 8/6/2004.

Specifically the way this spammer operates is that he uses the server until it gets listed and then waits a few days and starts back up again. Right now you are delisted but if you do not fix your server undoubtedly the spammer will be back and will start spewing spam again thru your server.

Question for Wazoo - should there be a FAQ item about "Threatening SpamCop with legal action" and why it's pointless?

Interesting ... I see that some of the www.spamcop.net web-page FAQs have in fact changed somewhat recently. One that comes close to almost touching this http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/95.html has been softened up quite a bit from what my mind recollects. (I also don't recall the HTML scripting errors that slid the words around from the use of color) Specifically, throwing up any 'legal' stuff might want to wait until the current court cases run their course. Then there'd be judgements that could be pointed to also.

You can lable me what ever you wish but this is a major problem. I am getting 3-4 of these issues every day and I do not have the staff to call every ISP to correct it, nor do I feel that the burden should fall to me to do so. SpamCop is the Only List or what every you want to call it that is causing these issues. Here is another. If there are bugs or problems in the software we provide it is our obligation to correct it just as it should be the obligation of SpamCop to correct the "Missuse" of there service or whatever is causing us to have mail bounced when we are not listed.

This person could email this address yesterday but can not today?

Your message has encountered delivery problems

to the following recipient(s):

cschwinke[at]siemermilling.com

Delivery failed

Unable to deliver to destination domain

SMTP greeting from host read:

552 RBL blocked by bl.spamcop.net

Archived