difference between pop, etc. and mail,etc in poppi

gailz

:( :angry: I can't seem to set up a Eudora "personality" to let me use my spamcop address as my return address and also POP to spamcop to get my mail in one mail-check. Using my ISP address I always POP to spamcop and that works fine; with the same settings but my spamcop return address I always get "ERR login failed." I've tried both pop.spamcop.net and mail.spamcop.net for the pop server and don't understand the difference, but neither works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

[can't find an "embarassed" face] I've found the answer to the pop/mail difference on the email setup forum, which i just discovered--my apologies to whoever might be trying to help on that. but i still can't figure out the eudora/return address problem, in case anyone isn't too annoyed to try to help.

thanks!

Using my ISP address I always POP to spamcop and that works fine; with the same settings but my spamcop return address I always get "ERR login failed."

Some ISP's require you to use your local account when sending email through their systems as a protection against unauthorized sending. Even if you are receiving all messages through spamcop, you still must use another smtp server (usually your ISP's) to send outgoing messages. Spamcop does not provide an SMTP server for generic use.

In addition, you are popping FROM spamcop, not to it.

Settings should be for the personality:

Generic Properties Tab

Return Address: May be dictated by your ISP to allow sending

Login Name: username<at>spamcop.net

SMTP Server: Your ISP will dictate this

Other settings as preferred or required by ISP.

Incoming Mail Tab

Server: pop.spamcop.net

Configuratio: POP

Other settings (such as leave on server) as preferred.

Hope this helps.

:) Thanks, troops! Things seem to working now. I cleaned everything out and started all over. Still can't figure out what I'd done wrong before, as your suggestions/instructions were what I'd been doing. But I never knew that I was popping from, not to. Old dogs (moi) can learn new tricks! Thanks again!

Archived