I have been falsely and/or maliciously accused....

nawin

Dear Fellow Posters,

Our server has been blocked by Spamcop for the last 2 days due to our automated news/product alerts emails being sent to their spamtraps. I know that we will be unblocked after sometime, but what concerns me the most is that we have a double opt in confirmation policy and there is no way our emails could have triggered off dedicated Spamcop spamtraps unless somebody had maliciously signed us up for them by clicking on the confirmation email.

We have responded to spamcop using the suggested contact email address blproblem[at]admin.spamcop.net and followed instructions found on this link below but have not gotten any response.

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/167.html

1) The entire SpamCop report, including full headers and the entire spam.

2) Proof that the user in question did subscribe for your list.

(Proof can be a log excerpt or a copy of the returned, e-mailed confirmation. There must be proof of a two-way, secure confirmation. This must include IPs and datestamps for two stages - both a signup and a confirmation.)

In Response to requirement (1)

The problem encountered here is that since Spamcop changed the reporting format sometime back, we cannot actually see the full headers as they are not revealed. The situation is made worst as Spamcop do not reveal any information about their Spamtraps. Previously only spam complains were listed on the site.

In Response to requirement (2)

We will be happy to provide proof that the users had signed up with us, but since spamcop does not reveal the identity of their spamtraps, we are able to provide the evidence required.

It will be greatly appreciated if any follow posters could share any similar experiences you've had, or encountered as well as know of any alternative means to contact Spamcop (by email, phone or fax). Any other advise, suggestions or feedbacks are welcome.

Thanks & Best regards,

Nawin

You could also read the FAQ "here" as there is a lot of additional content not found on the pages you reference .. in particular, the "Why am I Blocked" Pinned item ...

I'm glad that you seem so sure that you'll be unlisted soon. From the data you've provided, I sure wouldn't have such high hopes.

"Double-opt-in" .. sure, in some circles, this is the "magic" phrase ... to the anti-spam folks in general, this is pretty much spammy-speak.

"Automated ... e-mails" .... I don't think I can count the number of warning bells that phrase sets off.

"since Spamcop changed the reporting format sometime back, we cannot actually see the full headers as they are not revealed" .. that's a hard one to wrestle with ... kind of curious as to your time-frame of "sometime back" might be .. I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that I'd consider "recent"

"Spamcop do not reveal any information about their Spamtraps. Previously only spam complains were listed on the site" .... It was seen that spammers were using the provided data to their advantage, so data was dropped, no longer real-time, and spamtrap data has never been made openly available (hint .. look up most any definition of spamtrap)

In my opinion, if "you" are the admin of the e-mail system involved, there is enough data provided in the spam complaint/report for you to compare logs ... sure, it's some work, but ...

On the other hand, with no data provided here for "us" to work with, I'm not sure exactly what you wish to have happen "here" ... For other experiences, just read away at other Topics and postings here, there are plenty of examples and issues that might parallel your quandry ..... for further data, again, try the FAQ "here" .... advice, contacts, suggestions .... already exist, you just need to take the time to take a look ...

I don't think that spam traps send reports so if the OP wants to listwash, he can't do it.

His claim that some malicious person clicked on the confirmation email is patently impossible with spam traps - since there is no person and never was.

Some legitimate people do use 'double opt-in' However, it is unlikely that there would be lots of spam trap addresses on a confirmed subscription list. I wonder if he bought the list?

IMHO, he can provide his 'double-opt-in' list to the deputies and let them check it for spam trap addresses.

OTOH, it may have nothing to do with his new list. He may have a compromised machine. He is just assuming it has to do with his list. He didn't give an IP address, did he?

Miss Betsy

Hi, Nawin!

<snip>

We have responded to spamcop using the suggested contact email address blproblem[at]admin.spamcop.net and followed instructions found on this link below but have not gotten any response.

<snip>

We will be happy to provide proof that the users had signed up with us, but since spamcop does not reveal the identity of their spamtraps, we are able to provide the evidence required.

<snip>

16814[/snapback]

...Only the deputies can provide information about e-mails received at the spamtraps. Please write to deputies <at> spamcop <dot> net.

Our server has been blocked by Spamcop for the last 2 days due to our automated news/product alerts emails being sent to their spamtraps.  I know that we will be unblocked after sometime, but what concerns me the most is that we have a double opt in confirmation policy and there is no way our emails could have triggered off dedicated Spamcop spamtraps unless somebody had maliciously signed us up for them by clicking on the confirmation email.

16814[/snapback]

What's the IP address of the server is question?

<snip>what concerns me the most is that we have a double opt in confirmation policy and there is no way our emails could have triggered off dedicated Spamcop spamtraps unless somebody had maliciously signed us up for them by clicking on the confirmation email.<snip>

16814[/snapback]

It is true that this could possibly happen, but the chances are extremely remote - better odds at winning the lottery.

My guess is that your double opt in list is partly made up of lists of names that you have aquired from some other source which claims that their list is an opt in list. If this is the case, you are NOT using a "double opt in confirmation policy" It is actually a reverse opt out policy. Your are simply asking the receipeint if they would like to opt in, not much different than asking them to opt out. You have already sent the first piece of "junk mail" ie spam may asking them to opt in.

If my guess is right, you better re-read the definition of double opt in.

Please, everyone, give the people coming here with problems the benefit of the doubt. Before I joined spamcop and the anti-spam fight, I would have understood double opt-in to be the equivalent of confirmed opt-in. Just because someone uses tha phrase does not autmatically make them a spammer.

I doubt, because of the reaction in this thread, that we will ever get the full story and an explanation of what the OP meant by double opt-in. I prefer to try and understand what someone with problems is doing and then try to guide them to a better way of doing it if needed. The honey/vinager thing.

The way I read this OP, they did not come in here with guns blazing looking to take out the "spamcop". They came here looking for information and trying to test their theory. I would like to get the answer to some of the questions, but doubt they will post again. Another chance lost to educate someone who sends bulk mail to customers.

Specifically, I am speaking to the last 3 posters, dra007, dbiel, and spamh8tr. The OP has made one statement, possibly using incorrect verbiage, and you have built upon other peoples posts questioning the OP and become judge and jury to convict this person of being a spammer. While it may be so, it may also not be. Just a little more patience with people, please.

Enough for now.

Archived