mailing list delivers and receives on different IP

mhorowitz

I have a server which runs a mailing list. For historical reasons, it receives mail on one IP, and delivers it from another. spam got through the inbound filters, and we got a spamcop report as a result of this, as in the second case at SpamCop FAQ.

The IP addresses cannot be changed. The incoming name would be inconvenient to change. The outgoing name is easier to change, but I'm not clear on what will work to solve my problem. What can I do to avoid spamcop reports in the future. Is using a name in the same domain as the incoming IP's name according to reverse DNS sufficient? If I don't want to use the same domain name, is there any other approach I can take? Finally, how can I test that what I've done will make spamcop happy?

Hi, mhorowitz!

I have a server which runs a mailing list.  For historical reasons, it receives mail on one IP, and delivers it from another.  spam got through the inbound filters, and we got a spamcop report as a result of this, as in the second case at SpamCop FAQ.

The IP addresses cannot be changed.  The incoming name would be inconvenient to change.  The outgoing name is easier to change, but I'm not clear on what will work to solve my problem.  What can I do to avoid spamcop reports in the future.  Is using a name in the same domain as the incoming IP's name according to reverse DNS sufficient?  If I don't want to use the same domain name, is there any other approach I can take?  Finally, how can I test that what I've done will make spamcop happy?

17041[/snapback]

...Almost all spam reports are due to the fact that spam is being sent from the reported IP address. The real solution is to stop the spam.

...First, it would help us help you if you would post the IP address of the machine that is on the block list.

...To understand more about how SpamCop works and what you might do to identify and stop the spam, I'd suggest you start with the following:

If there's anything in these pages that require more explanation, please do return here to post follow-up questions.

Another "solution" took some "personal" work by manually screwing with a database, so it'd be much easier / wiser to have you actually fix the situation. Unfortunately, trying to come up with specifics from here is a bit of the impossible task as you've provided no data to go on .... So for a seemingly similar situation, that will also demonstrate the problem with lack of definition, problem with communications, attitudes getting in the way, and all kinds of other stuff that did result in a "solution" .. please take the time to go through a previous Topic at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2464

Archived