Overactive Mail Blocker

pancake

Suddenly, my held mail is holding mails that I have been receiving regularly. Yesterday I missed some important mails, from addresses I used to receive regularly to my in-box without problem. I didn't think to check 'held mail' till after the fact, but yes, they were there.

I can understand this happening when I first set up the system, but that is not the case.

I've gone and individually whitelisted each sender's address, but would rather this glitch didn't happen at all.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Hershey Wier

Hi, Hershey!

Suddenly, my held mail is holding mails that I have been receiving regularly. Yesterday I missed some important mails, from addresses I used to receive regularly to my in-box without problem. I didn't think to check 'held mail' till after the fact, but yes, they were there.

I can understand this happening when I first set up the system, but that is not the case.

I've gone and individually whitelisted each sender's address, but would rather this glitch didn't happen at all.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Hershey Wier

17340[/snapback]

...IIUC, it's not a glitch at all, it's a feature! The nature of the SpamCop BL (I"m assuming that's what is causing the behavior you are experiencing) is dynamic -- IPs go on and off the list as they meet the criteria (see SpamCop FAQ: What is on the list?).

...Perhaps others with more experience and knowledge of the SpamCop e-mail blacklist/whitelist functionality will be able to provide you with a more useful reply. :) <g>

...Not certain but thread "How I use spam Cop, A detailed example" might have something that could help you.

...Good luck!

You haven't given us any details, but one thing to check is the level that your SpamAssassin is currently set. I would recommend using the default setting of "5" because if you have it set at a lower number, you'll wind up with more false positives. I tried lowering mine to "4" for a while, but was seeing too many messages wind up just barely exceeding that. With a setting of 5, I haven't seen anything wind up in my Held Mail that shouldn't have in a long time.

However, if the messages in question were blocked due to "bl.spamcop.net" or one of the other blocklists, then changing your SA setting won't help.

DT

You haven't given us any details, but one thing to check is the level that your SpamAssassin is currently set. I would recommend using the default setting of "5" because if you have it set at a lower number, you'll wind up with more false positives. I tried lowering mine to "4" for a while, but was seeing too many messages wind up just barely exceeding that. With a setting of 5, I haven't seen anything wind up in my Held Mail that shouldn't have in a long time.

However, if the messages in question were blocked due to "bl.spamcop.net" or one of the other blocklists, then changing your SA setting won't help.

DT

17343[/snapback]

Agreed. I saw a message with a high SpamAssassin rating slip through to my inbox once, but "5" seems to work well for me.

Archived