trouble setting up my OE to use spamcop

ca95965

I have used spamcop in my yahoo account for some time, and though I also registered at the same time for my main (OE6) account I never did figure out how to correctly submit spam so I didn't use it.

I am now trying to do that again, but am still having problems.

I received the confirmation from spamcop in my OE mailbox, and with it was a user ID number and my personal validation number. Now what?

Links in that letter just lead me back to forums and to places where I could log in so that I could use the forums. I don't have any idea how to proceed from here.

I do recall that unlike at yahoo there was quite a process to go through for OE to bring up and forward complete headers, and I did just now look up that information again, but I do not have an address to forward to like in my yahoo account and also don't really understand the headers thing, though I know I can work through that part.

If anyone will tell me how to get the address to forward to I would greatly appreciate that, and though I could wade through the headers stuff and figure it out it would also be great if someone has some simple way to explain it and would tell me.

Thanks.

Mary

Hi, Mary!

<snip>

I received the confirmation from spamcop in my OE mailbox, and with it was a user ID number and my personal validation number.  Now what?

<snip>

17585[/snapback]

...Navigate to URL http://www.spamcop.net/. At the top of the screen, there is a place to enter your new user id and password. Do that and click the button labeled "Login." This will take you to the SpamCop reporting page.

I do recall that unlike at yahoo there was quite a process to go through for OE to bring up and forward complete headers, and I did just now look up that information again,

17585[/snapback]

...See Miss Betsy's reply in thread "Help - can't report spam".

but I do not have an address to forward to like in my yahoo account and also don't really understand the headers thing, though I know I can work through that part.

If anyone will tell me how to get the address to forward to I would greatly appreciate that

17585[/snapback]

...If I understand you correctly, you want the e-mail address to which you send the spam to the SpamCop parser -- that's on the aforementioned SpamCop reporting page on a line that begins, "Forward your spam to...."

This is another of those posts that make me have to ask .... how did you find your way to "here" to post your query. I'm sure (if you make it back here) that you'll notice that I moved your posting into an area called "E-Mail" ... but I have to suspect you followed a link that said "get Help here" and got dropped into the "Help" Forum, thus not realizing that the other Forums existed. I'd like confirmation that this is probably what happened. And of course, some feedback on whether the Pinned items (and Steve T's response) are enough to get you rolling.

On the other hand, as you are expressing so many doubts on your handling of the spam for submittal, I would rather suggest that you attempt to submit spam viw the www.spamcop.net page that you will log into, use the paste-your-spam-in-the-box type submittal and ensure that what you are providing actually works. Then move into trying to do submittal by e-mail.

<snip>

I'm sure (if you make it back here) that you'll notice that I moved your posting into an area called "E-Mail" ...

<snip>

17589[/snapback]

...Oops, a little premature, isn't it, Wazoo, until we find out whether Mary is a SpamCop e-mail user or merely a reporting user? :) <g>

...Oops, a little premature, isn't it, Wazoo, until we find out whether Mary is a SpamCop e-mail user or merely a reporting user?  :) <g>

Actually, I had first moved it to e-mail set-up ... then re-read it a few times, took another look at the Pinned items there, and changed both my comments and the location of the Topic back into the E-Mail forum. I'm actually more confused over how the Yahoo submission has been accomplished that would leave the use of OE so confusing, but that's not for me to conjecture upon <g>

Actually, I had first moved it to e-mail set-up ... then re-read it a few times, took another look at the Pinned items there, and changed both my comments and the location of the Topic back into the E-Mail forum.  I'm actually more confused over how the Yahoo submission has been accomplished that would leave the use of OE so confusing, but that's not for me to conjecture upon <g>

17591[/snapback]

...E-mail setup seems to me to be a more logical choice that Email (FWIW). :) <g>

...My guess is that submitting spam from Yahoo is a bit easier in that when you ask Yahoo to "forward" an e-mail, it forces you to choose from "in-line" or "as attachment" (at least, it does for my free Yahoo!Mail account), so it's a bit more obvious than for OE, whose "normal" forward (not appropriate for SpamCop) seems to be forward rather than forward as attachment (appropriate for SpamCop).

Yeah, but .... what I seemed to read was questioning how the put what address on the forwarded e-mail ...

If anyone will tell me how to get the address to forward to I would greatly appreciate that

The how to get full headers and such is already existent within the FAQ, so wasn't sure about having to get into that details bit

there was quite a process to go through for OE to bring up and forward complete headers, and I did just now look up that information again, but I do not have an address to forward to like in my yahoo account and also don't really understand the headers thing, though I know I can work through that part

The other "don't have an address" comment ... I really didn't want to get into trying to figure out where the big process with OE is (am guessing that viewing the source is what's being described) but guess I'll have to figure out where the "right-click and send as attachment" line doesn't exist ...

And it was this that made me move back out of e-mail set-up .. thinking that the question there would have been about the web-mail buttons and such ... promise, I really try not to make snap decisions <g>

Oh yeah .. it seems like the last time I looked at my Yahoo account (how long ago, I don't recall) ... it was because someone was complaining that the option to forward "as an attachment" didn't exist .. I would swear that I pointed out an option screen which selected the default mode ... but also recall that there are differences in the Yahoo setup depending on which country/server is involved. Example, POP3 is a pay extra in the U.S. but apparently still free in the U.K. ...

Yeah, but .... what I seemed to read was questioning how the put what address on the forwarded e-mail ...

<snip>

The other "don't have an address" comment ... I really didn't want to get into trying to figure out where the big process with OE is (am guessing that viewing the source is what's being described) but guess I'll have to figure out where the "right-click and send as attachment" line doesn't exist ...

And it was this that made me move back out of e-mail set-up .. thinking that the question there would have been about the web-mail buttons and such ...  promise, I really try not to make snap decisions <g>

<snip>

17593[/snapback]

...Those things are what made me think that the OP was asking about reporting rather than about SpamCop e-mail. :) <g>

Archived