We hired the wrong marketing company

pcw

I own www.printercartridgewarehouse.com and on 9/20/04 we hired NIM Corporation to do some direct marketing for our company. They said that they would send our HTML message to their 'opt-in' members and they would include an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the message to handle all requests. Well, 8 days later I have found out from the several e-mails from people that they are just e-mailing a direct text URL to people, they are sending the e-mails from made up e-mail addresses and there is absolutly no unsubscribe information. I have contacted the company SEVERAL TIMES but they will not respond. How can I stop this spamming?????

I have removed the link to page that they were sending out, and we have installed a link on our homepage to an appology page. What else can I do?

-Matthew

Wazoo: Please move this thread accordingly as it has nothing to do with the spamcop email service, probably the lounge.

They said that they would send our HTML message to their 'opt-in' members and they would include an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the message to handle all requests.

Spammers LIE.

Well, you have learned the hard way that you can not buy an "opt-in" list because the people on that list did not agree to receive emails about YOUR product or service from you.

First, I would stop any payments to this company (you didn't pay cash, did you?) and let them come to you looking for payment where you can air your complaints.

I would also contact your web host and (if separate) your email provider, and let them know what has happened and what you have done to undo the damage. They may have already received spamcop reports for the spamvertizement of the site. The way I read it they sent the messages out for you so your email should not be affected.

I have removed the link to page that they were sending out, and we have installed a link on our homepage to an appology page. What else can I do?

Dispute the payment to NIM with your credit card company, because it was indeed fradulent. Bring legal action against NIM. The owner/operator is named Robert Soloway, and you'll find information about him at:

http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/listing.lass...net%20Marketing

(once you go to the SmamHaus site, you might need to pass through a "cookie acceptance screen" and then enter the URL a second time)

NIM has been fooling a LOT of otherwise innocent people into spamming with their recent "28 million" spams.

DT

There is nothing you can do. You did not do your homework and you were ripped off by a known spammer/criminal. The emails sent out on "your" behalf were against the CAN-spam act but not only that you intruded into many millions of inboxes for no reason except personal gain. You spammed them. These millions of victims had to pay with their time and money for their internet connection to download and read "your" garbage that they did not ask for to begin with.

Only because of your own greed!

You know the state of spam these days it is in the papers and all over the web but "your" greed took over.

Lay with dogs and get fleas.

You are now known as spammers.

I have a feeling you will do it again. I hear it gets easier after the first time.

nuff said.

Matthew,

Take the harsh verbage of some of us "anti-spammers" with a grain of salt. I think you probably should have "done your homework" in researching the spammers you got into bed with, but I am also ready to give you the benefit of the doubt, in that this particular outfit uses very deceptive tactics to lure in unsuspecting clients.

You do realize that "printer cartridges" is almost an entire category of spam unto itself, don't you? So, in your line of business, you must be *extra* careful, which I think had been the case with your domain up until recently, because both Google and Google Groups searches on you and your domain come up very clean.

One more thing you can do....share your bad experience with others, so that they learn from your mistake.

DT

This is going to get off-topic for this thread, but Merlyn and dra007, this is what I was talking about around a month ago...about jumping on the OP without giving them the benefit of the doubt.

What about the story seems fishy to you? What other data did you collect on this company that had you saying he is lying?

I checked out his web site, there is the link and apology he spoke of.

I checked google groups for his domain and got no hits.

I checked hiw domain registration and found the domain has been registered since 8/28/2000 with the last modification done 1/22/2004.

All of these things seem to check out very clean.

First, it doesn't take very much knowledge to know you cannot purchase an opt-in list.

Second, I said nothing that I would not have said to one of my kids.

Third, I went to a catholic school in the 50's and 60's, he's lucky it wasn't a nun explaining the situation to him it would have been much worse.

Finally, yes an apology is posted on their site which means many others sent them a notice of their displeasure also.

Hopefully they will not purchase any more lists but only time will tell.

...FWIW, I would like to associate myself with StevenUnderwood's (implied) suggestion that we give people such as the OP the benefit of the doubt.

...The SpamCop FAQ entry "What are some general tips for responding to questions in the forum?" includes:

7. Don't assume that a mistake or misunderstanding is the result of malice.
...IMHO, that doesn't mean that the remarks that Steven is questioning should not be posted at all, just that their proper place is the Lounge, not Help.

...The reason I bother posting this is that I fear that we might have otherwise made a convert but the personal attacks send the OP off with such a bad taste in her/his mouth that (s)he reacts in a way that actually makes the problem worse, perhaps even sharing with others her/his negative experiences with SpamCop people and spreading the problem.

WOW Merlyn, if the whole world was like you I would rather crawl in a hole and die. You sure must be a perfect person that has NEVER made a mistake at all!!! I'm courious, are you a business owner? Have you ever done any advertising??!?? Why spend your hard earned money for advertising if it doesn't produce sales? It's called making a living to support your family...not greed!!!

I am thankful for the comments of the other folks. This afternoon I have done major research on this guy and the business he runs. He has been doing this to millions of people over the past 5 years, and I was just one of the millions of people that fell for his sweet talking. I emailed him several times before the 'marketing campaign' started, and called 4 times and I always got through the first time. He answered all of my questions with full answers and I never at any time thought he was not going to do the right thing. I contacted the credit card company today and filed a complaint against the company. I have owned this business for 6 years, the past 4 years on the internet. This is the first...and last time I do more than register the website on search engines. I will post here again if I hear from him again, and when I hear back from the credit card company.

Thanks - Matthew

<snip>

This afternoon I have done major research on this guy and the business he runs. He has been doing this to millions of people over the past 5 years, and I was just one of the millions of people that fell for his sweet talking. I emailed him several times before the 'marketing campaign' started, and called 4 times and I always got through the first time. He answered all of my questions with full answers and I never at any time thought he was not going to do the right thing. I contacted the credit card company today and filed a complaint against the company. I have owned this business for 6 years, the past 4 years on the internet. This is the first...and last time I do more than register the website on search engines.

<snip>

17946[/snapback]

...All right, class, now let's see how well you've all learned this week's subject. Please answer the following multiple choice quiz:

Q1: Before agreeing to do business with a search engine registration enterprise, I shall:

1. Sign up right away if the salesperson/owner sweet-talks me
  2. Wait to sign up until the salesperson/owner answers all my questions completely at least four times
  3. Do the same kind of research Matthew here did (unfortunately too late to help him but publicizing it here in a way that will hopefully help others) on NIM
  4. Stop doing business entirely -- no one can be trusted

:) <g>

WOW Merlyn, if the whole world was like you I would rather crawl in a hole and die. You sure must be a perfect person that has NEVER made a mistake at all!!! I'm courious, are you a business owner? Have you ever done any advertising??!?? Why spend your hard earned money for advertising if it doesn't produce sales? It's called making a living to support your family...not greed!!!

I am thankful for the comments of the other folks. This afternoon I have done major research on this guy and the business he runs. He has been doing this to millions of people over the past 5 years, and I was just one of the millions of people that fell for his sweet talking. I emailed him several times before the 'marketing campaign' started, and called 4 times and I always got through the first time. He answered all of my questions with full answers and I never at any time thought he was not going to do the right thing. I contacted the credit card company today and filed a complaint against the company. I have owned this business for 6 years, the past 4 years on the internet. This is the first...and last time I do more than register the website on search engines.  I will post here again if I hear from him again, and when I hear back from the credit card company.

Thanks - Matthew

17946[/snapback]

Yes I do own an company. The internet is what places food on our table and put two children through college and pays for raising our two younger children. Yes I do advertise but I do not spam. I have seen what spam has done to the internet and the problems it has caused for many small business owners. That is why I am so much against spamming. I was also listed on Spamcop a few years ago for a short time (2 hours) when a spammer used our machine so I know what you are going through.

Running your own business means you must do the proper research before making any important descisions. You have to do more than just talk to these sharks, they are good at selling their services. If you just used a simple Google search before you hired this person you would have not been hurt by this spammer.

Contrary to what you think, I feel bad for you. I have had my company for almost 5 years now and business is not as good as it was when we first started. Most of our advertising is now done through printed media. The internet is a tough place to do business and many small shops are going under every day. If you want assistance researching a company before you market via email again just email me your details of the company and I will send ya the results I come up with. Better yet, post here asking about them and you will get the best research team around. There are some great people here that can dig up almost anything about spammers.

Good Luck.

There are several good places to start you research:

1. Rip Off Report (read how this buisnessman was put on collection for stopping payment to NIM)!!

2. ..and as always The Better Buisness Bureau

in fact any smart shopper should do a bit of internet research before even contacting a company to do internet business..

I often do my research while on phone with telemarketers, that for the most part are scammers, just to have the satisfaction and read to them (on line) the fraud they are trying to perpetrate... I have cut down the telemarketer's phonecalls to nearly zero that way..

Not to mention there were some well advertized legal actions against NIM..

• 2 weeks later...
There are several good places to start you research:

1. Rip Off Report (read how this buisnessman was put on collection for stopping payment to NIM)!!

VERY very OT here but.... I posted to the NG's about a RipOffReport on SpamCop. Quite a few people think that ROR is like our FreaSpeach Store friend, but the problem is that the site is read by about 2 million more people than FSS. Just took a look, and a very well informed response was posted to a consumer complaint about SC, but there's a new one complaint there now. Looks like someone in Indy is a little PO'd.

Know of any spanked spammers in Indianapolis?

Archived