Updated Look and Feel for SpamCop.Net

feedbackwelcome

Hi, julian!

...The buttons under the SpamCop logo ("Report spam," "Mailhosts," etc) change to a much smaller size on mouseover.  VERY ANNOYING and hard to read!
That certianly would be annoying. I've standardized on "em" as the font-size specifier rather than percent. Let me know if the problem is fixed - I never saw such behavior in my testing - definitely not intentional.

-=Julian=-

18387[/snapback]

...Just checked -- no change.

...[EDIT] Just noticed something -- when I change my IE browser option "View | Text Size" to "Medium" it's okay! It is only when I use a text size larger than medium (mouseover causes the "buttons" to appear LARGER) or less than medium (mouseover causes the "buttons" to appear SMALLER) that I have a problem. By setting your "Text size" control and IE's text size parameter, I can get the effect I want. Seems to me, however, that mouseovers should not cause the effect I'm seeing....

Just checked -- no change.

OK, you were a bit too quick. I *just* published the code and I am now telling akamai to refresh the .css page from it's cache.

Check this URL:

http://www.spamcop.net/images/05look.css

You should see "/* 05look.css $Revision: 1.3 $ */" as the 2nd line if you are actually fetching the new code. If you see that, *then* let me know how it looks/if it's fixed.

-=Julian=-

Screenshot here. I'm running at 1600*1200, so it may seem huge if you're running at a lower resolution.

Now that I've fixed my own font size problem, this is really only a minor problem. The two sections in red just seem to be a little too large, even more so if there is a long URL involved. If I move to the smaller style sheet, then the section in green (and the full headers at the top of the parse) becomes too small to read.

It's not a major fault, but it does make checking out the parse as I scroll down more problematic.

Hi Julian,

at the bottom of the web page there is the following:

© 2004 Copyright SpamCop.net, Inc., All rights reserved. HTML4 / CSS2

The HTML4 and CSS2 are links that allow on to validate the HTML of the CSS. Pressing the HTML4 link asks for a username and password, and pressing the CSS2 link returns a "Validator Error:"

Target: http://mailsc.spamcop.net/sc

I/O Error: Basic realm="your SpamCop account"

Regards

Rudolf

Hi Julian,

at the bottom of the web page there is the following:

The HTML4 and CSS2 are links that allow on to validate the HTML of the CSS. Pressing the HTML4 link asks for a username and password, and pressing the CSS2 link returns a "Validator Error:"

That's 'cause the validator needs to log into your account if you use that authen-required link. Some pages are accessible without a password, and there the links are helpful (really just for me trying to jump through all the hoops). If you use them from the www.spamcop.net site, they work OK on many pages, but still they don't work for the pages where login is required (no error, but they check only the "login required" page, not the actual logged-in version).

-=Julian=-

I love it. Looks great, fast loading.

One issue: I'm using Opera 6.06 and the text size buttons, [WOLFCASTLE] they do nothing [/WOLFCASTLE].

I think this falls under the category of "Older browsers may cause some cosmetic problems, but the site should still work OK. " Get the new version of opera. It works fine.

If you see a way to fix the site so that it works with that version, share. I don't have that old version here, and don't think there are many people using it, so am not going to spend time on it. But if you volunteer the fix (if any), I'm happy to incorporate it.

-=Julian=-

I love it. It loads faster and looks great in Safari.

Just a comment: there are no links to the forum. Hell, I didn't know Spamcop had a forum until today. I found it in the Site Map, but I think it would be a nice idea to add a link to the forum in the header.

Help link at the top...

Web-based Bulletin Boards

Use the bulletin boards to communicate directly with other SpamCop users.

Index of all forums

General help. Have trouble using SpamCop? Wonder if you are listed on the SpamCop blocking list?

Email help. Need help with a spamcop.net email account?

Mailhosts System. Have problems with the new Mailhosts verification system?

Please read the 'Pinned' items at the top of each bulletin board before posting.

with links to the 3 forums listed plus the main page.

I think this falls under the category of "Older browsers may cause some cosmetic problems, but the site should still work OK. "  Get the new version of opera.  It works fine.

If you see a way to fix the site so that it works with that version, share.  I don't have that old version here, and don't think there are many people using it, so am not going to spend time on it.  But if you volunteer the fix (if any), I'm happy to incorporate it.

18439[/snapback]

I'm not worried about it. It's just a niggle.

...Stu

• 1 month later...

As those web pages were re-designed a while back, and the flurry of complaints were dealt with back then ... ??? Where is this coming from? Which web page? Which Display Style? What browser are you using? Merged into the Topic started over in the Lounge area, already dealing with the "new" SpamCop layout ...

hashar PM'd to advise of the Move / Merge

As those web pages were re-designed a while back, and the flurry of complaints were dealt with back then ... ??? Where is this coming from?  Which web page?  Which Display Style? What browser are you using?  Merged into the Topic started over in the Lounge area, already dealing with the "new" SpamCop layout ...

hashar PM'd to advise of the Move / Merge

20208[/snapback]

Hello Wazoo,

Firstly thanks for the private message :o) Here is a bit more descriptive bug report:

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 1.0 under Debian GNU/Linux

Webpage: http://www.spamcop.net/

My desktop use a dark gray instead of white for background. Light gray instead of black for text. This mean that text color which is not set through css will be set to my default font color (light gray). On the main webpage, the background is set to white but text is not set.

This is how one can patch it:

in /images/05look.css some class definitions set the background-color attribute without any color: attribute:

body

#content

#footer

Just add the following line in them:

color : #000000;

That should fix most troubles :o

If you are using firefox you can reproduce the bug by hardsetting colors:

edit -> preferences -> general -> button("Fonts & Colors")

In the label "Text and background" set:

Text : white

Background: black

Untick the checkbox [] Use system colors

;o)

Although Courtney I believe has moved on to other duties, I sent her a note (and CC: to Deputies for Julian's possible look) ... stated your use of an alternate color configuration and the problem that the incomplate .css definitions were causing. Not sure if I'll get an e-mail response or if someone will respond here ... but issue has been raised to those that can influence if not do the changes you've suggested ...

Archived