Not sure, which one of your two of the same posts should we reply to?   :D

18503[/snapback]

I don't know why it posted twice...the first time it said error...please try again in thirty seconds....when I did as I was instructed, it posted twice. Thanks for the smart aleck comment and no help whatsoever. If anyone has anything constructive to tell me please do. This person obviously was more concerned about the forum posting twice.

Thanks

I don't know why it posted twice...the first time it said error...please try again in thirty seconds....when I did as I was instructed, it posted twice.  Thanks for the smart aleck comment and no help whatsoever.  If anyone has anything constructive to tell me please do.  This person obviously was more concerned about the forum posting twice.

18506[/snapback]

Can you see a smiley? It was a joke. Quit sending your abusive mails to me and grow up!

Hello,

I am getting both Success AND error emails for each address I try to register.  Which one should I believe?  Thanks.

18502[/snapback]

Hello!

...Where are you trying to "register?" I presume this is for one of the SpamCop services but you did not specify which (for example: SpamCop.net - Sign up for SpamCop reporting or SpamCop Email System for Individuals).

Can you see a smiley?  It was a joke. <snip>

18508[/snapback]

...Not that the OP did this but: there is an option to turn off the emoticons so you should probably not make the assumption that everyone can see them. That's why I'll (usually) use the :) emoticon followed by a "<g>".

...Not that the OP did this but: there is an option to turn off the emoticons so you should probably not make the assumption that everyone can see them. That's why I'll (usually) use the :) emoticon followed by a "<g>".

18510[/snapback]

Thanks....

I will do that. So much for my sense of humor :) <g>

ANd I answered in the other thread but will post it here so that one may be deleted (Wazoo)

If you have a secondary MX that is not active for each address, you will get an error message for that server. The probe goes to each and every MX server for your domain to try and catch all paths the messages might take.

Not enough information to guess any further.

The "both success and failure e-mails" scenario would seem to be a MailHost configuration issue. As such, moving this to that Forum. If I had more time, I'd merge it into one of the existing Topics on the same subject, but .... it's just going to be moved at this point.

OK, then moved to a new post and saw the double posting .... merged the two together ... suppose I should go through and clean this up a bit, but ... time is an issue right now ... as suggested above, this "situation" has been seen, Ellen has responded in at least a couple of those Topics (that's in my head anyway) ... and another off the top of my head, I believe it boils down to whether or not the host in question is showing in "your" list of hosts . if it's there, no problem .. and yes, I know that seeing if it is there is yet another issue for some <g>

If you have a secondary MX that is not active for each address, you will get an error message for that server.  The probe goes to each and every MX server for your domain to try and catch all paths the messages might take.

I spent 10 years dealing with all the email delivery errors for some academic mailing lists, and I've seen this scenario many times. There are domains for which "fallback" (lower priority) MX servers are listed that aren't actually configured to accept mail for the domain in question. This is not a good situation, in that instead of delaying the eventual delivery of the mail, a fatal error (500 level) is actually produced by the secondary server.

If you properly confirm the successful probe, then you should be OK...unless your ISP decides to get their act together and properly configure the secondary MX, in which case, you'd need to go through the process again. If I were you, I'd complain to the ISP and either have them remove the unwilling server from the DNS records, or have them configure the secondary MX to actually accept mail for the domain, as it should be doing.

DT

Archived