Multiple users on the same account.

Hi, I have an account with demon that allows the email address anything[at]hostname.demon.co.uk. I several users set up and normally they just download the mail for them. Is there any way (without forwarding) for me to POP email from spamcop and only get mail for the intended user?

Regards

CC

Admitting that trying to make total sense out of what you said is a bit of a struggle for some reason, I'm thinking the final answer you are looking for is "no" .... In general, you make a POP3 connection and the general flow is that all the mail on the server gets tranferred to your system. Not discounting that there are some "magic" tools out there, some scriptung that could be done, even some manipulations done "by hand" during a direct connection .. however, I'm thinking that if you had any of this stuff or knowledge, you wouldn't be asking the question you posed.

Hi, I have an account with demon that allows the email address anything[at]hostname.demon.co.uk. I several users set up and normally they just download the mail for them. Is there any way (without forwarding) for me to POP email from spamcop and only get mail for the intended user?

Regards

CC

19229[/snapback]

I would not try using POP3 but would rather try to set Spamcop to forward all mail.

It will require some changes in you basic setup.

Setup all mail to forward to your Spamcop account then have the mail forwarded to your server and using filters on your server break it back down into the individual accounts.

You could set up separate accounts with SpamCop for each user and have them use POP3 to access their mail, but that could get expensive if you have a lot of users.

;) Many thanks for the reply, not sure why this didn't make sense, however I think you got the point. To clarify, the accounts I currently have are :-

me[at]hostname.demon.co.uk

myotherhalf[at]hostname.demon.co.uk

anybody[at]hostname.demon.co.uk

The hostname is really the important thing here, as I can put anything else in front.

Normally my other half pops in to the demon account as myotherhalf[at]hostname.demon.co.uk and she only gets the email intended for her.

I pop in as hostname.demon.co.uk and get all the emails. Sadly my hostname has been hi-jacked and I'm getting 1000+ bounces per-day. I thought it would stop, however one month down the line and it's just getting worse :angry: I've got spamcop poping into my account and I'm filtering the bounces to the trash, my other halfs email to a folder for her, mine into a folder for me and the rest into an unsure folder.

I'd like to be able to just pop in to spamcop and get just the data in the folder for that user. Sadly I can only seem to get everything for everyone.

Filtering it when it arrives is not really any use, if I was doing that I might as well just filter the bounces at source anyway and avoid Spamcop full stop.

When I signed up, I was kind of hoping Spamcop would help me identify the source of the bounced messages, however I ill advised by the person who suggested I sign up.

Again many thanks for the reply. If you can think of anything I can do, without having to pay, yet again, for another reliable email source I'd be very happy to hear from you.

Regards

CC

I would not try using POP3 but would rather try to set Spamcop to forward all mail.

It will require some changes in you basic setup.

Setup all mail to forward to your Spamcop account then have the mail forwarded to your server and using filters on your server break it back down into the individual accounts.

You could set up separate accounts with SpamCop for each user and have them use POP3 to access their mail, but that could get expensive if you have a lot of users.

19253[/snapback]

Thanks Dbiel, sadly Demon won't forward mail, so I have to get Spamcop to POP in, which works well I have to say. I thought about emailing the filtered valid replies back to my demon account, however I think that would result in a round-robin :( I don't really want the expense of setting up x many new email accounts on a reliable service just because some idiot is using my hostname. So I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks Dbiel, sadly Demon won't forward mail, so I have to get Spamcop to POP in, which works well I have to say. I thought about emailing the filtered valid replies back to my demon account, however I think that would result in a round-robin  :(  I don't really want the expense of setting up x many new email accounts on a reliable service just because some idiot is using my hostname. So I'm a bit stuck.

19258[/snapback]

Any reason you feel you need to POP your spamcop account as opposed to using webmail to access you mail on the SpamCop server?

You could create separate folders within SpamCop and use the personal filters to filter the mail.

Using IMAP you could access the individual folders from your local machine.

I believe that POP3 will only access the inbox files, not the sub folders.

Note: personal filters only work when logging into webmail.

See How I use spam Cop, A detailed example for more information. PeterJ's example may (post#3) may be of help to you.

<snip>

When I signed up, I was kind of hoping Spamcop would help me identify the source of the bounced messages, however I ill advised by the person who suggested I sign up.

19257[/snapback]

...You can use the spamcop parser to identify the IP addresses that are the spam sources (as well as their abuse desk e-mail addresses [sometimes]), you just may not use SpamCop to send the spam reports. Note that if you decide to send reports, you must make it clearly look as if you had generated the reports (not SpamCop).

Any reason you feel you need to POP your spamcop account as opposed to using webmail to access you mail on the SpamCop server?

You could create separate folders within SpamCop and use the personal filters to filter the mail.

Using IMAP you could access the individual folders from your local machine.

I believe that POP3 will only access the inbox files, not the sub folders.

Note: personal filters only work when logging into webmail.

See How I use spam Cop, A detailed example for more information.  PeterJ's example may (post#3) may be of help to you.

19260[/snapback]

Thank again for the response. I don't just want web mail, I want my emails on my local PC's, not just on some random web mail account. I thought about IMAP, however the perl tool I use for poping doesn't support it as yet. Something I could look at though as I'm thinking of using Thunderbird, which supports IMAP I think.

...You can use the spamcop parser to identify the IP addresses that are the spam sources (as well as their abuse desk e-mail addresses [sometimes]), you just may not use SpamCop to send the spam reports.  Note that if you decide to send reports, you must make it clearly look as if you had generated the reports (not SpamCop).

19266[/snapback]

Thank you any pointers to where I can find such a tool? I've been doing it by hand so far, but had no success in getting the account closed down as most of it is from a known (and blacklisted) server.

Regards

...You can use the spamcop parser to identify the IP addresses that are the spam sources (as well as their abuse desk e-mail addresses [sometimes]), you just may not use SpamCop to send the spam reports.  Note that if you decide to send reports, you must make it clearly look as if you had generated the reports (not SpamCop).

19266[/snapback]

Thank you any pointers to where I can find such a tool?

<snip>

19305[/snapback]

...Tool? The SpamCop parser itself! Just submit the spam to the parser, click the "Preview Reports" button (instead of the "Send spam Report(s) Now" button), copy and paste one of the offerend reports into an e-mail, remove all references to SpamCop, then go back and "Cancel" the report on the SpamCop Tracking URL page....

Thank you any pointers to where I can find such a tool?

<snip>

19305[/snapback]

...Tool? The SpamCop parser itself! Just submit the spam to the parser, click the "Preview Reports" button (instead of the "Send spam Report(s) Now" button), copy and paste one of the offerend reports into an e-mail, remove all references to SpamCop, then go back and "Cancel" the report on the SpamCop Tracking URL page....

19307[/snapback]

Hi sorry, I've been a bit of a cabbage here. I had presumed that the report spam icon did the same as the report spam text link, which just says "are you sure" and then results in rather grumpy emails from spam cop as half of the submiitted items are bounced messages. I hadn't realised that the report spam icon requires a second login and offers the tool, but then again why would I? I've only been using the thing for a couple of days and all the other links text links seem to do the same as the icons.

Thanks for the update.

Archived