popgate Disrespecting Hotmail "Leave on Server"

Hi.

It appears that overnight on Thu, 28 Oct 2004 at 23:25:59 -0400 (EDT), AKA Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:25:59 -0000 (UTC), popgate decided that all the mail it had read on my one MSN Hotmail account marked "Leave on Server" had not been read, and downloaded it all again. I don't have any other accounts marked "Leave on Server".

Why did this happen?

Thanks!

Hi.

It appears that overnight on Thu, 28 Oct 2004 at 23:25:59 -0400 (EDT), AKA Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:25:59 -0000 (UTC), popgate decided that all the mail it had read on my one MSN Hotmail account marked "Leave on Server" had not been read, and downloaded it all again.  I don't have any other accounts marked "Leave on Server".

Why did this happen?

Thanks!

19338[/snapback]

This is pure guesswork on my part and may be completely wrong BUT:

I'd put a small amount of money on the 'fault' being at Hotmail's end. My guess is that the 'read' flag on all the held mail has somehow been reset to 'unread' popgate then does what it has been asked to do and downloads all the 'unread' mail?

This is pure guesswork on my part and may be completely wrong BUT:

I'd put a small amount of money on the 'fault' being at Hotmail's end. My guess is that the 'read' flag on all the held mail has somehow been reset to 'unread' popgate then does what it has been asked to do and downloads all the 'unread' mail?

19378[/snapback]

Nice guess, but no, that's not what happened. After popgate popped them the first time (11 months ago), I read them, and they stayed read until this day. When I've seen popgate leave on server, it didn't mark as read. However, Hotmail or JT could have made some other change to data or code invisible to us mere mortals that would have prompted that behavior. I was hoping others who use popgate to leave on server at Hotmail would chime in with their experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
It just happened again, Mon, 02 May 2005 at 23:58:13 -0400 (EDT) AKA 03 May 2005 at 03:58:13 -0000.

27526[/snapback]

I don't use Popgate, but in Internet tradition I'll take a stab in the dark :)

I've seen this same behavior with our Eudora users if the local Eudora file gets "confused" i.e. loses its hash of MsgIDs which have been downloaded, and email messages get downloaded again (and again...). The downloaded duplicates are marked as "read", but they are downloaded as "new". New, but "already read".

Since the POP client decides which of the available messages to download, I would tend to suspect a problem with Popgate losing its local database/hash of old messages, rather than a POP server problem.

In the process of doing some webmail --> Hotmail testing today, I noticed that when Popgate picks up the messages, they are then found in my Trash at Hotmail, which is supposedly emptied daily. So maybe that's the normal behavior?

DT

In the process of doing some webmail --> Hotmail testing today, I noticed that when Popgate picks up the messages, they are then found in my Trash at Hotmail, which is supposedly emptied daily. So maybe that's the normal behavior?

27858[/snapback]

That's only normal if you don't have "Leave on Server" Checked. For this particular account, which is advertised on my résumé and therefore needs some more robustness, I do have "Leave on Server" Checked.

• 3 weeks later...
It happened again, Wed, 01 Jun 2005 at 18:30:46 -0400 (EDT) AKA Wed, 01 Jun 2005 at 22:30:46 -0000.

28796[/snapback]

Did you see the announcement on the news page and posted in the Announcements section here this morning (after your post I beileve): http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=28797

Your last problem occured just around the time of that announcement.

Steven, I saw the announcement. My issue happened 1 hour 22 minutes before the news was posted (and multiple times before that as previously documented in this Topic), and I posted about it before you posted the announcement. I did miss the news because I usually stay logged in to Webmail, and I usually don't regularly check the news page.

Steven, I saw the announcement.  My issue happened 1 hour 22 minutes before the news was posted (and multiple times before that as previously documented in this Topic), and I posted about it before you posted the announcement.  I did miss the news because I usually stay logged in to Webmail, and I usually don't regularly check the news page.

28799[/snapback]

You are correct about the time of course, I saw your conversion to -0000 and misread it (GOD I hate time zones) ;)

I guess my main point is that they (JT) are at least working on the popgate issues and to monitor the situation to see if it improves or happens again.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived