mail server moved to a new IP address

A few months ago I relocated my mailserver to a new network.

Upon reporting my first spam after the move, I realised I needed to reconfigure the mailhosts so it recognised my new IP as being legitimate. The hostname remained the same, only it resolves to a new IP address now. I deleted the host from my Spamcop mailhosts config (with the previous IP address) and re-added it.

The problem is when I re-added my host to the mailhost configuration, the old IP address is still on the list along with the new IP address. This old IP adress is no longer assoicated with my mail setup, so I'd like to get rid of it, but I'm not sure how. I have tried deleting the entry and re-adding it with the same results.

Do I need the deputies to intervene, or do I need to delete it and then wait a while (hours, days?), or what? It hasn't been an issue here yet as the old address hasn't been spoofed on any of the spam I've receieved, but I'm not sure what the broader implications are to Spamcop as a whole having my old IP address listed as a legitimate adress in the mailhosts database.

Theoretically, could a spammer could be operating from my old IP now and when people parse those spam consider my old IP as either associated with me or worse, a forged received line being treated as real?

I appologise if this issue has been dealt with elsewhere in the forum. I looked around and didn't find a suitable resolution.

Thanks.

In general, for a specific issue, see Ellen's Pinned entry, the "read before posting" one specifically. What you are attempting to resolve on your own is the content of a "shared" database. As far as reporting goes, I would think that if your "new" entry is also in there and you have parsed a few to make sure that the "new" address/domain/IP is in fact flowing through your MailHost configuration, then I'd also suggest that it isn't really a problem per se ... but yes, to resolve your "special" problem, Ellen's procedures will have to be followed.

I also edited your Topic Title, removing the confusion from the suggestion that the SpamCop servers had made a problematic "move" ....

In general, for a specific issue, see Ellen's Pinned entry, the "read before posting" one specifically.  What you are attempting to resolve on your own is the content of a "shared" database.  As far as reporting goes, I would think that if your "new" entry is also in there and you have parsed a few to make sure that the "new" address/domain/IP is in fact flowing through your MailHost configuration, then I'd also suggest that it isn't really a problem per se ... but yes, to resolve your "special" problem, Ellen's procedures will have to be followed.

I also edited your Topic Title, removing the confusion from the suggestion that the SpamCop servers had made a problematic "move" ....

If the OP wants to send me the registered SC email address, the MH name and the new IP and the old on I will take a look at it. It is unlikely to cause any problems the way it is now but I can see who else shares that MH ...

Archived