Previously Appealed

jjrowan

This morning I waded my way through the ever increasing volume of spam to find new garbage from www.scsoffshore.com

I did not subscribe to any service nor do I want to receive what they call "news". They claim not to be spam but a news service. Their e-mails are only solicitations to buy services from them to host web sites off shore without restrictions. They're based in Bermuda I think. They say to call long distance to "opt out" but I'm not going to spend money on long distance charges to end up in their voice response unit trying to opt out. I though I could just deposit the e-mail in SpamCop but when I did it said they have been previously appealed.

These people use mis-configured servers around the world to send their bulk e-mail. I put the network block of the companies they're using into my sendmail access database rejecting subsequent spam from any server on the unknowing company that's being used by thes SPAMmers.

What options are there for getting SPAMmers previously appealed back into a SPAMmer stautus?

What options are there for getting SPAMmers previously appealed back into a SPAMmer stautus?

19585[/snapback]

Just one - write to the Deputies at deputies <at> spamcop.net, including the info above, plus at least a Tracking URL.

Also, please be aware that the full-uppercase Registered Trademark "spam" should not be used to refer to email or newsgroup postings, per the Trademark holder, Hormel, Inc.

Just one - write to the Deputies at deputies <at> spamcop.net, including the info above, plus at least a Tracking URL.

Also, please be aware that the full-uppercase Registered Trademark "spam" should not be used to refer to email or newsgroup postings, per the Trademark holder, Hormel, Inc.

19588[/snapback]

Done and so noted. Thanks.

19588[/snapback]

I suspect that they'd have trouble making this stick as AFAIK there has to be the possibility for confusion in order for it to be an infringement. There is, at least in the UK, an agricultural insecticide called UNIX. In the spirit of devilment, I raised this with the then holders of the trademark for the UNIX which we know and got a very nice email back saying something along the lines of "thank you for letting us know but there's nothing we can do about it as we don't make chemicals".

--

Regards

Pete

I think you've just hit the nail on the head. Their team of lawyers have a vested interest in arguing about it whether there is any basis in law for their argument or not. Of course, if anyone took them to task about it then the lawyers, on both sides, would make even more money.

<snip>

19588[/snapback]

I suspect that they'd have trouble making this stick as AFAIK there has to be the possibility for confusion in order for it to be an infringement.

<snip>

19678[/snapback]

...And there also has to be some money being made, probably.

...They've asked nicely (ref spam and the Internet, especially the third paragraph), I don't see any reason to not comply.

Archived