What's the route for getting support on...

It used to be the NG, spamcop.mail.

Then I was informed that some people use the web forum at forum.spamcop.net

Then I was informed that I need to use the support email address, support at

spamcop.net.

Over the last week I have tried all and haven't seen a word back from any

support personnel at SC. (Thanks for the other SC users posting though.)

Give me a clue guys.

PP

some people use the web forum at forum.spamcop.net

This "SpamCop Email" forum is the right place. You'll mostly get informal "user-to-user" support here, but the actual server admin (JT) and other official people occasionally post here also.

Then I was informed that I need to use the support email address, support at

spamcop.net

Yes, that's the address to use for specific problems with your account...but response time is quite variable.

Your topic five days ago was "White/Black List Interface Is *NOT* User Friendly" and I see that it didn't generate many responses (I responded). I think you've got a great point, but the resolution of that particular issue would involve changes to the configuration and/or software underlying the webmail system that are probably not trivial. So, keep the issue alive, build some groundswell of support (here in the forum) for changes, and then be very patient...sometimes that method actually works.

(note: word in red added later...I left it out when first posting this reply)

DT

I'm struggling to understand why this question has come up so often lately. Once again, the answer to the question asked is already addressed in both the FAQ here and on the original www.spamcop.net FAQ.

The support address described hits the InBox of a specific person in Georgia .. the guy (JT) that owns and manages the hardware that the SpamCop Filtered E-Mail systems runs on. If the other Topic you started here this morning is any indication of the subject matter of your previously mass-notify situation, you are targetting the wrong side of the SpamCop system. JT has very little to do with the reporting side of the house. Your query there may have been among the thousands of e-mails handled by (probably) being ignored, as there is nothing he can do about reporting or BL issues.

So now that you are "here" . please take the time to at least take a look at the FAQ here. The odds are great that your issues have already been touched in the item tagged "please read before posting" ..

Your topic five days ago was "White/Black List Interface Is *NOT* User Friendly" and I see that it generate many responses (I responded).

21077[/snapback]

DT, I appreciate you responding, but at the time of writing this you have been the *only* one that did respond to that particular post. You must have been looking at the responses from another post.

...the resolution of that particular issue would involve changes to the configuration and/or software underlying the webmail system that are probably not trivial.

21077[/snapback]

I understand your point. Being an experienced software developer for over 25 years, I know that some tasks require much more resources than others.

But based on my experience (yes folks, you are now hearing from an expert), I personally believe that implementing the items I requested to the white/black list would take little time and effort.

And in the case of adding an 'Are You Sure' dialog for Releasing and Whitelisting ... I can honestly state it would take (me) no more than 5 minutes to implement. I have already looked at the java scri_pt code used to create a confirm dialog for reporting spam, and duplicating that for Releasing and Whitelisting would be a PIECE OF CAKE.

That's right SC developers, I'm calling you out! Remember that old game show, "Name That Tune". Well, I've got a new game... it's called "Write That Code". I can write it in less than 5 minutes. Beat that.

PP

I'm struggling to understand why this question has come up so often lately.

21078[/snapback]

Reason: Lack of communication to customers from a paid email services provider called spamcop.

I rarely have support issues. The last time I did the main place to get support was on the NNTP newsgroup spamcop.mail. This has obviously changed, but was I notified about it... no. The only thing I have gotten from SC in my many years as a customer is a renewal notice.

Am I really supposed to search the entire spamcop website each time I have a support request just to find out HOW to submit it? I think not. If support options change, then at the very least paid members should be notified of this and shouldn't be left guessing or searching for what to do.

Stick that in the FAQ.

PP

<snip>

And in the case of adding an 'Are You Sure' dialog for Releasing and Whitelisting ... I can honestly state it would take (me) no more than 5 minutes to implement. I have already looked at the java scri_pt code used to create a confirm dialog for reporting spam, and duplicating that for Releasing and Whitelisting would be a PIECE OF CAKE.

That's right SC developers, I'm calling you out! Remember that old game show,  "Name That Tune". Well, I've got a new game... it's called "Write That Code". I can write it in less than 5 minutes. Beat that.

PP

21167[/snapback]

...There only one: JT aka JeffT. He rarely makes his presence known here but he does occasionally visit. Perhaps he will pick up your offer and contact you ... who knows? :) <g>

<snip>

Am I really supposed to search the entire spamcop website each time I have a support request just to find out HOW to submit it?

<snip>

21168[/snapback]

...Maybe, but surely it's reasonable to expect you to scan the content of (er, rather, the content in the link of) an item right near the top of the forum home page labeled "Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting." :) <g>

scan the content of (er, rather, the content in the link of) an item right near the top of the forum home page labeled "Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting."

21171[/snapback]

That link is *NOT* on the home page. You have to actually go into one of the forums to find that. In fact there is not one reference to 'FAQ' on the home page.

Having the link to the FAQ located on the home page rather than nested within the forums would actually make more sense, and possibly entice people to actually read and use it.

PP

That link is *NOT* on the home page. You have to actually go into one of the forums to find that.  In fact there is not one reference to 'FAQ' on the home page.

Having the link to the FAQ located on the home page rather than nested within the forums would actually make more sense, and possibly entice people to actually read and use it.

I sure have the strange / funny feeling that you have not looked at the FAQ "here" ... else you'd have noticed the very first paragragh that very clearly indicated that the following stuff was something I put together, and for the zillionth time, even that was intended to be a temporary thing. So, pointing out the obvious .... the www.spamcop.net is the "official" FAQ ... the one "here" incorporates that data into an expanded version that "I" put together (with a lot of help, and actual data comes from may other folks) .. specifically, "this one" is not a creation of the SpamCop owner, staff, or Admin ....

I don't have access to "your Home page" .. though noting that the FAQ there does include the "where to get Help ...." and "How to contact ..." which (I seem to recall) both have pointers to the web-based Forum. I am at a bit of a loss in coming up with your suggested scenario that changes are a constant.

Getting damned crazy these days, some bitch about not having enough content, ohers bent out of shape as the one-page list is too damn big, now you're bitching because it isn't highlighted enough ... think it'll get any better if I go ahead and kill this one completely? (Background is that the "official" FAQ stuff now also has to pass "legal" review, so my bit of free-wheeling here in adding in whatever seemed to be 'needed' appear to be coming to a close.) That'll take you back to only one point to search for whatever data is available anyway ...???

That link is *NOT* on the home page. You have to actually go into one of the forums to find that. In fact there is not one reference to 'FAQ' on the home page.

http://www.spamcop.net

Help Home http://www.spamcop.net/help.shtml

SpamCop mail service http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/289.html

Where can I get further assistance? http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/327.html

The same link I posted earlier. The same content is available replacing the www with mailsc as well (use the Help link at the top right corner of the page).

It really bothers me when someone claims it is not there when it pretty clearly is.

That link is *NOT* on the home page. You have to actually go into one of the forums to find that.  In fact there is not one reference to 'FAQ' on the home page.

21176[/snapback]

You're right. There is no official all-encompassing SpamCop FAQ. Yet. I imagine that when there is, its address announcement will be plastered prominently on the forum, www, members, and mailsc websites, and will probably be emailed as well.

That's right SC developers, I'm calling you out! Remember that old game show,  "Name That Tune". Well, I've got a new game... it's called "Write That Code". I can write it in less than 5 minutes. Beat that.

21167[/snapback]

...There only one: JT aka JeffT.  He rarely makes his presence known here but he does occasionally visit.  Perhaps he will pick up your offer and contact you ... who knows?  :) <g>

21170[/snapback]

Ehh, I did it myself anyway and beat my own challenge: 2 minutes 58 seconds to write and test it. Here it is, now fix it.

function Submit(actID)
{
    if (actID == 'spam_report') {
       if (!window.confirm('Are you sure you wish to report this message as spam?')) {
              return;
       }
    }

// START NEW CODE

else if (actID == 'sc_relwhite') {
       if (!window.confirm('Are you sure you wish to release and whitelist the selected message(s)?')) {
              return;
       }
    }

// END NEW CODE

if (AnySelected()) {
        document.messages.actionID.value = actID;
        document.messages.submit();
    } else {
        window.alert('You must select at least one message first.');
    }
}

It took longer to format this forum message than it did to write and test this code.

PP

Getting damned crazy these days, some bitch about not having enough content, ohers bent out of shape as the one-page list is too damn big, now you're bitching because it isn't highlighted tnough

21178[/snapback]

Just to get you back on track, my post you quoted was to 'turetzsr' who stated clearly that the FAQ was on the *FORUM* home page. I was just trying enlighten 'turetzsr' that "No, the FAQ isn't on the Forum Home Page".

I was just trying to help. I certainly wasn't trying to get you back on your doses of Lithium. Take some of your own advice and read things before you post.

Who's the b*tch now?

PP

It really bothers me when someone claims it is not there when it  pretty clearly is.

21179[/snapback]

.... my post you quoted was to 'turetzsr' who stated clearly that the FAQ was on the *FORUM* home page. I was just trying enlighten 'turetzsr' that "No, the FAQ isn't on the Forum Home Page".

...read things before you post.

21186[/snapback]

My sentiment goes out to Steven, too.

PP

DT, I appreciate you responding, but at the time of writing this you have been the *only* one that did respond to that particular post.

Oops! I left out an important word: "didn't"

My response should have read:

I see that it didn't generate many responses

and not:

I see that it generate many responses

Sorry about that!

DT

...oh, and PeterPepper....even if seem to have encountered a little "attitude" here in this thread....how about rising above it, relaxing, and joining the group of helpful users here who are mostly happy with the SC email/filtering service, despite the obvious drawback of rather spotty support, etc.?

It sounds like you'd have a lot to offer. :-)

DT

...There only one: JT aka JeffT.  He rarely makes his presence known here but he does occasionally visit.  Perhaps he will pick up your offer and contact you ... who knows?  :) <g>

21170[/snapback]

Ehh, I did it myself anyway and beat my own challenge: 2 minutes 58 seconds to write and test it. Here it is, now fix it.

<snip>

21185[/snapback]

...Sorry, I can't. There's only one [person who can]: JT aka JeffT.

...Gee, I'm getting a déjà vu feeling, here -- haven't I seen a very similar sentence earlier? :) <g> )

Just to get you back on track, my post you quoted was to 'turetzsr' who stated clearly that the FAQ was on the *FORUM* home page. I was just trying enlighten 'turetzsr' that "No, the FAQ isn't on the Forum Home Page".

<snip>

21186[/snapback]

...You didn't need to enlighten me, I already knew that, which is why I didn't write that the FAQ is on the Forum Home page. What I wrote was:
<snip> the content of (er, rather, the content in the link of) an item right near the top of the forum home page labeled "Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting."  :) <g>

21171[/snapback]

:) <g>

I think the confusion about the location of the FAQ boils down to the fact that we all have different interpretations of what a "Home Page" is.

My definition of a home page is the primary root page of a web site. For this website, I would say that the home page is located here: http://forum.spamcop.net/

If we use my definition, then 'no' there is not a link to a FAQ there.

Based on what I have read, I think that the 'turetzsr' interpretation of this site's home page could be the starting page of an individual forum, such as the forum 'SpamCop Email' which is located here: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showforum=4

If we use what I think is the 'turetzsr' definition of a home page, then 'yes' there is a pinned item noting a FAQ there.

And others appear to think we are referring SC's home page, which using my definition would be here: http://spamcop.net/

It appears that we all have different definitions of a home page yet we weren't willing to open our eyes enough to see that maybe others have different interpretations other than our own (this includes me).

I hope this concludes our cat fighting so we can continue to pursue resolution of what 'DavidT' so aptly referred to as 'rather spotty support' from actual SC personnel.

PP

I think the confusion about the location of the FAQ boils down to the fact that we all have different interpretations of what a "Home Page" is.

My definition of a home page is the primary root page of a web site. For this website, I would say that the home page is located here: http://forum.spamcop.net/

If we use my definition, then 'no' there is not a link to a FAQ there.

Based on what I have read, I think that the 'turetzsr' interpretation of this site's home page could be the starting page of an individual forum, such as the forum 'SpamCop Email' which is located here: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showforum=4

If we use what I think is the 'turetzsr' definition of a home page, then 'yes' there is a pinned item noting a FAQ there.

And others appear to think we are referring SC's home page, which using my definition would be here: http://spamcop.net/

It appears that we all have different definitions of a home page yet we weren't willing to open our eyes enough to see that maybe others have different interpretations other than our own (this includes me).

<snip>

21229[/snapback]

...Actually, I agree with everything you have written here. Unfortunately, though, the confusion seems to me to be wholly yours ("If we use what I think is the 'turetzsr' definition of a home page"). Here's what I wrote:
...Maybe, but surely it's reasonable to expect you to scan the content of (er, rather, the content in the link of) an item right near the top of the forum home page labeled "Pinned: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting."  :) <g>

21171[/snapback]

If I had meant http://forum.spamcop.net/, I would have written "the home page of the SpamCop Forums."

...[EDIT] *sigh* Okay, after a more careful reading of your reply, I see how there might have been confusion as to whether I was referring to the home page of the Forums or the home page of THIS forum. :) <g>

PeterPepper:

My response to you was about this post of yours where you do mention searching the main web site (because you did not know about the forums) and MOSTLY in response the what I took as a rude comment at the very end. The pointer to the forums is in the FAQ I pointed to from that page.

Am I really supposed to search the entire spamcop website each time I have a support request just to find out HOW to submit it? I think not. If support options change, then at the very least paid members should be notified of this and shouldn't be left guessing or searching for what to do.

Stick that in the FAQ

And yes, if it has been a while since I last did support with ANY organization, I would expect to find the current way support was being handled and also would search for and read the FAQ before posting. FAQ's are relatively fluid documents because programs change so the questions about them change or get updated.

And in this business, where ANY unsolicited message becomes verbotten, sending an email to all customers when most never access the help is not very good business.

Just my $0.03 (inflation you know)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I realize this has come up before and not gotten much interest in the forum, but it's one of my pet peeves about Spamcop. (I don't have many.) I hope other error-prone users will rally 'round this issue, please!

On the Held Mail page of webmail, the "Release and Whitelist" link really needs a confirmation dialog. It's a real pain to go in and clean up your whitelist if you hit that baby by accident!

If you ignore the "attitude," PeterPepper has already come up with java scri_pt that fixes the problem, here:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=21185

(Apparently, his original thread on the topic rolled off the cliff already.)

Please, someone, let the appropriate people look at this and decide it's worth doing!

:(

Archived