Error and Feature request

drzoid

Hello,

recently I cant report spam manually anylonger, as any attempt to request the /sc resource from mailsc.spamcop.net results in a connection timeout. Oddly enough other resources (like /mcgi and /reportheld) actually work.

On another topic, I would like to ask whether its possible to have these two features added

1. The ability to have reported spam email deleted immediately. Currently you need to delete them manually after having reported them
  2. The ability to turn the sent spam reports off.

Thanks

recently I cant report spam manually anylonger, as any attempt to request the /sc resource from mailsc.spamcop.net results in a connection timeout. Oddly enough other resources (like /mcgi and /reportheld) actually work.

On another topic, I would like to ask whether its possible to have these two features added

1. The ability to have reported spam email deleted immediately. Currently you need to delete them manually after having reported them
  2. The ability to turn the sent spam reports off.

21299[/snapback]

I haven't used those URLs in a long time -- try starting from scratch at http://www.spamcop.net/ and update your bookmarks. I'm not sure what you're describing on the deleting spam, however, because if you report spam in the webmail interface, it deletes it, and if you're using http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog you can choose whether you want the messages deleted when they're reported.

Since you also said you want the sent spam reports turned off, you must be talking about the "Quick Report" or the "report as spam" button in webmail. I might be wrong but I believe the reports are an integral part of the SpamCop service and you cannot turn them off -- in fact it's your responsibility to review them at least occasionally. I have accidentally reported ordinary mail from my friends and family because of temporary glitches somewhere, and I would never know it if I didn't review the reports.

I haven't used those URLs in a long time -- try starting from scratch at http://www.spamcop.net/ and update your bookmarks. I'm not sure what you're describing on the deleting spam, however, because if you report spam in the webmail interface, it deletes it, and if you're using http://www.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog you can choose whether you want the messages deleted when they're reported.

21381[/snapback]

Well, I havent bookmarked these urls but I am using the links from within the webinterface. Actually the /sc resource worked once today, so it might be already fixed.

What I meant with deleting is that a reported email is immediately deleted and not only moved to "Trash", as it is now done.

Since you also said you want the sent spam reports turned off, you must be talking about the "Quick Report" or the "report as spam" button in webmail. I might be wrong but I believe the reports are an integral part of the SpamCop service and you cannot turn them off -- in fact it's your responsibility to review them at least occasionally. I have accidentally reported ordinary mail from my friends and family because of temporary glitches somewhere, and I would never know it if I didn't review the reports.

21381[/snapback]

Exactly, I probably didnt explain it well enough, as I certainly didnt mean the actual spam reports (turning them off would make the system rather useless), but I meant the confirmation reports telling me what exactly happened with the individual emails. When I report an email, I know what I was doing and do not really care much to whom it was exactly reported to. The confirmation report might be interesting for some people and so I just would like to thave the OPTION to turn it off, because for me it is rather an annoyance.

Thanks!

What I meant with deleting is that a reported email is immediately deleted and not only moved to "Trash", as it is now done.

21383[/snapback]

Ah, now I understand. What I do is set the webmail maintenance to delete the messages in the Trash folder after fewer days -- maybe you would set yours to 1 day.

Exactly, I probably didnt explain it well enough, as I certainly didnt mean the actual spam reports (turning them off would make the system rather useless), but I meant the confirmation reports telling me what exactly happened with the individual emails. When I report an email, I know what I was doing and do not really care much to whom it was exactly reported to. The confirmation report might be interesting for some people and so I just would like to thave the OPTION to turn it off, because for me it is rather an annoyance.

Here we ARE talking about the same thing. You have to review the reports because, for example, if your ISP changes a setting and your mailhosts settings are not updated, you might start reporting your ISP's server as a spam source. So you should review the reports every few days, at least. (Note that when you do the "old fashioned" reporting via the http://www.spamcop.net/ interface, you can avoid the quick reporting reports by going through the report and confirmation process for EACH MESSAGE.)

The webmail interface can help you with the Quick Report messages, too -- I created a folder to hold the reports, and a filter to automatically put the SpamCop reports in that folder, then I review them when I get a chance and delete them later.

As I mentioned before, I have accidentally reported friends and family due to a hiccup somewhere (usually a problem with my email client accidentally marking mail as spam, but sometimes other things happen, too). I have used the reports to retrieve the text of the original messages by pulling up the report ID from the SpamCop database.

And if I notice the problem soon enough, I have sent apologies to everyone involved, as described in a SpamCop FAQ somewhere. I just looked and I cannot find that FAQ, so maybe they don't want people to do that anymore...?

And if I notice the problem soon enough, I have sent apologies to everyone involved, as described in a SpamCop FAQ somewhere. I just looked and I cannot find that FAQ, so maybe they don't want people to do that anymore...?

The FAQ "here" .. look for "How to Unsend Reports"

The webmail interface can help you with the Quick Report messages, too -- I created a folder to hold the reports, and a filter to automatically put the SpamCop reports in that folder, then I review them when I get a chance and delete them later.

21386[/snapback]

The problem is, filters are only applied if you login via the web interface. They arent run by pulling your mails via POP3.

The problem is, filters are only applied if you login via the web interface. They arent run by pulling your mails via POP3.

21392[/snapback]

Yes, that's true -- you will want to create the filters on the email client that you use most of the time. (I've switched everything from POP to IMAP so I can move to a different OS. When I get eveything switched to the new system I will create filters on whatever email client I use there. In the meantime all my email clients benefit from whatever filtering gets done in one place, currently webmail.)

Archived