www.spamcop.net unavailable?

get-even

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you relying on your own ISP for your DNS? Mine got a bit flakey recently, so I've switched to using the ones found here:

http://support.open-rsc.org/.servers/

You can plug those into the config on your own PC and perhaps you'll have better luck.

DT

26731[/snapback]

I did it (plugged the dotted-quad of the Dutch server as my primary DNS server) but nothing changes. Even www://atlantic.ocean and www://free.tibet -- which according to the open-rsc blurb should now resolve -- remain unresolved.

Remember: I can access SC using IE6 or NS7, so it cannot be a case of "unresolved DNS".

Even www://atlantic.ocean and www://free.tibet

That should be:

http://atlantic.ocean

http://free.tibet

The first one no longer exists, but I'm using the Open-RSC servers and I can visit the free.tibet URL, so perhaps you didn't try restarting your computer?

Remember: I can access SC using IE6 or NS7, so it cannot be a case of "unresolved DNS".

Yes, I considered that, but thought I'd try my suggestion anyway. Are you still unable to visit http://selfcare.skynet.be/ ? To me, it sounds like there are problems with your own installation of FireFox.

DT

Even www://atlantic.ocean and www://free.tibet
That should be:

http://atlantic.ocean

http://free.tibet

Oops, I misquoted. That is indeed what I tried to visit (by clicking in the open-rsc page) and couldn't.

The first one no longer exists, but I'm using the Open-RSC servers and I can visit the free.tibet URL, so perhaps you didn't try restarting your computer?
Yes I did. What I did not do was plug the address of a US server into my secondary DNS (I'm in Europe after all). I left my ISP server there. But should it be used at all if the primary answers? I thought not. So -- is there something wrong with 199.168.29.3 ?

Yes, I considered that, but thought I'd try my suggestion anyway. Are you still unable to visit http://selfcare.skynet.be/ ?
Yes I am; and just like before I do not get a popup saying the concerned URL could not be found (I get such a popup with free.tibet). In the case of selfcare.skynet.be or www.spamcop.net it's just that nothing happens: the throbber turns for a second or less then stops with "Done" on the status bar and the page content unchanged from what it was before.

To me, it sounds like there are problems with your own installation of FireFox.

DT

26766[/snapback]

Maybe, but AFAICT I did nothing untoward installing it. Do you want me to list all installed extensions and all about:config settings? Normally none of that should interfere, should it?, but I can't see anything else which should either. My current version of Firefox is the 1.0.3 release "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050414 Firefox/1.0.3" and AFAICT nothing changed in this respect since 1.0 (.0) or even (IIRC) 1.0PR. I'm not sure about 1.0RC. IIRC I never had anything earlier than that.

Please try using these instead and see if it solves your problem:

It will only take you a minute to test it.

DT

26755[/snapback]

Just tried it. after plugging these into

Internet Explorer 6

-> Tools

... -> Internet options

... ... -> Connections

... ... ... -> [skynet ADSL (Siemens) PPP] Settings

... ... ... ... -> Properties

... ... ... ... ... -> Network

... ... ... ... ... ... -> [internet Protocol (TCP/IP)] Properties

... ... ... ... ... ... ... -> Primary DNS server

... ... ... ... ... . and -> Secondary DNS server

then rebooting,

everything becomes unresolved, even in IE6 or NS7. So I plugged 195.238.2.21 and 195.238.2.22 back in, disconnected, reconnected with password, did not reboot, and now everything is as before (can access anything with IE or NS, and almost anything but e.g. not the SC parser with Fx).

...Maybe something in your FF settings is interfering, such as Proxies or Popup blocker?

26773[/snapback]

No proxies set ("Access the Internet directly") just as in IE and NS7.

Popup blocker is installed but when it blocks something a message appears at the top of the displayed page, just below the toolbars. Nothing such in this case. Again, popups are also blocked in NS7 (Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Popup Windows -> [x] Block unrequested popup windows; and "Allowed sites" includes nothing related with either SC or Akamai) but I can access SC there. I just set up popup blocking in IE6 (Tools -> Popup blocking -> Enable popup blocking) and I can access SC there too, without any mention of it in "allowed popup sites".

OK, in between all sorts of other things going on today here's what I've tried;

beat the hell out of FireFox 1.01 and couldn't come up with anything

Downloaded/installed FireFox 1.03 and tried this that and the other

Googled the hell out things, but nothing definitive ....

went hard core and started screwing with one of my systems ... I believe I'm also back to something wonky with your FireFox install/configuration ... why? ...

Built a HOSTS file, setting the resolving of www.spamcop.net to your Akamized server IP ... specifically, adding the line;

194.78.133.224 www.spamcop.net

IE6, FireFox 1, 1.01, and 1.03 hit the (not logged in .. again, no cookies set yet) www.spamcop.net page just fine.

Based on that, I would suggest you trying thr same thing, but using the following data in your HOSTS file ....

(bit of research .... C:\>ping www.spamcop.net

Pinging a369.g.akamai.net [209.3.158.8] with 32 bytes of data:

Noting that yesterday it was C:\>ping www.spamcop.net

Pinging a369.g.akamai.net [63.215.124.193] with 32 bytes of data: )

209.3.158.8 www.spamcop.net

Based on my bit of testing, the results will probably be "no change" .. IE6 will get there, FireFox won't, and if so, it is definitely something going on with FireFox ...

Firefox was taking forever to load so I killed it then created a new profile (using "cd \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" followed by "firefox -ProfileManager", case-sensitive) and with that new profile it can access SC with the above line in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Next I'll comment that line out and test it again -- I suspect it'll work too.

If it works, I gotta reconfigure my preferences and readd my extensions, one by one, until it fails. Once it fails I'll know the culprit.

Great! .. sorry it took so long to get to this point .....

26803[/snapback]

<_< yeah... sorry it took me so long to "take the bull by the horns" as we say in French. :blush: That'll larn me.

ATM I have (after a lot of work) got back most of my extensions, themes, preferences, bookmarks, even my userChrome.css, and I can still access SC, so I still don't know what I had done wrong but starting afresh from a new profile cured it. Maybe some obscure about:config setting but since apparently it's not possible to load two instances of Fx with different profiles at the same time it won't be easy to compare them. Oh, well :rolleyes: I sure don't wish it on anyone.

Currently using the latest (yesterday's) aviary-branch nightly, "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050421 Firefox/1.0.4" :)

...Son of a gun, it might be a config setting!  Wish I had thought of suggesting that to you ( 26773[/snapback] )!  :D <big g>

26836[/snapback]

Yeah, it might, but which one? There are a lot of them. Well, as long as it's working, let's leave it at that.

turetzsr [at] Apr 22 2005, 04:31 PM)]...Son of a gun, it might be a config setting!  Wish I had thought of suggesting that to you ( * )! :D <big g>
Yeah, it might, but which one? <snip>

26850[/snapback]

...Well, one you changed as opposed to leaving as the default. If you changed a lot of them, that wouldn't help you, in which case the sensible thing to do is what you did -- start with a fresh version. :) <g>

Yeah, it might, but which one? <snip>

26850[/snapback]

...Well, one you changed as opposed to leaving as the default. If you changed a lot of them, that wouldn't help you, in which case the sensible thing to do is what you did -- start with a fresh version. :) <g>

26852[/snapback]

Since I can't load two instances of Fx in parallel with different profiles (I tried: -ProfileManager is ignored if Fx is already running, resulting in one instance with two windows), I'd have to diff the prefs.js in both profiles -- and on this dratted Lose-dough machine there is no usable diff program. Guess I'll proceed with my re-created profile.

I did take a look at the new about:config and nothing rang any bell; but of course the error is somewhere in the old profile.

I suggest you try logging all traffic that the "broken" Mozilla profile generates when unsuccessfully trying to load SC. I recommend WinDump for this task.

Here's how to use it if you don't know it already:

Please go to http://winpcap.polito.it/install/default.htm and download WinPcap 3.1 beta 4. You have to run that installer once, it will install the libraries (packet.dll, wpcap.dll, pthreadVC.dll, and npf.vxd/npf.sys depending on your Windoze version) in your system directory. Then download the sniffer itself, WinDump 3.8.3 beta, from http://windump.polito.it/install/default.htm

Open a command prompt, change to the directory where you saved WinDump.exe, and try entering

windump -D

You'll get a list of all networking interfaces installed in your system. Choose the one responsible for internet access and remember its number. Now start the logging by entering

windump -n -i3 -s4000 -w packets

where you must specify the previously determined interface after -i. While the sniffer is running, all packets are dumped into the file "packets".

The logging can be stopped by pressing CTRL C.

Try logging the failed load attempt, and send the "packets" file to me (axel[at]opera.com).

[...] Try logging the failed load attempt, and send the "packets" file to me (axel[at]opera.com).

27229[/snapback]

Done -- watch your inbox.

Archived