Being Threatened for Rptg an Item as Spam-Help!

jcbank

We reported an item this morning which really had the appearance of a 'phishing' email - Sent from an oversees country asking for credit card processing. I reported this as spam and am now being threatened with legal procedings by this person and "You better solve this problem immediately if you do not like your

bank to be blacklisted for incompetence!"

I guess the question is - is there a way to remove the spam request? Or to find out if others have reported them and they are just 'blowing smoke' in my direction? This is spam Cop ID: 1324324590

Asking for "credit card processing" isn't your normal "phishing" type of contact.

Threatened legal action from overseas ... costly investment there. Surely your "bank" has legal representation and they have been contacted by now ..??

"Remove this spam request" doesn't make a lot of sense. Perhaps checking the FAQ 'here' for the entry "How do I Unsend a Report" is what you are asking .... and no, these complaints are sent out via e-mail .. there is no "recall" option available.

Your SpamCop ID number is only of value to Admin/Staff folks who only occasionaly show up here. The Tracking URL of the spam report would allow ithers here to take a look and do some analysis.

That said, not enough data provided to go any further from this side of the screen.

Thanks - that is the topic I was looking for - I had scanned thru the list but must have missed it. No, I would not normally consider something asking for a service as spam or phishing, but you would have to read it. There were punctuation errors, capitalization errors and poor sentence structure. It seriously had the appearance of a letter that would be massively sent out to 10,000 banks hoping someone would bite.

Well, if was was with someone you do not have any affiliation with or did not request this email then you did your job. I would not reply to them.

* Rule #1: Spammers lie.

- Russel's Admonition: Always assume that there is a measurable chance that

the entity you are dealing with is a spammer.

- Lexical Contradiction: Spammers will redefine any term in order to

disguise their abuse of Internet resources.

- Sharp's Corollary: Spammers attempt to re-define "spamming" as that which

they do not do.

- Finnell's Corollary: Spammers define "remove" as "validate."

* Rule #2: If a spammer seems to be telling the truth, see Rule #1.

- Crissman's Corollary: A spammer, when caught, blames his victim

and also under rule #3

Spammer's Standard of Discourse: Threats and intimidation trump facts and logic.

Thanks - that is the topic I was looking for  - I had scanned thru the list but must have missed it.   No, I would not normally consider something asking for a service as spam or phishing, but you would have to read it.  There were punctuation errors, capitalization errors and poor sentence structure.  It seriously had the appearance of a letter that would be massively sent out to 10,000 banks hoping someone would bite.

21838[/snapback]

Yes I saw the email -- it was unclear that it was legit. There was no "TO" which implied, to me, that it was sent BCC. I would tend to think that a legitimate email regarding a company's available services would have been addressed specifically to an email address at the bank. Also the email signature was from someone in Cyprus and the IP for injection was for a German ISP. That in of itself wouldn't indicate instant spam but I found that curious also.

Not being a banking person I wasn't able to tell if the services asked for in the email were the sort of thing that made sense or whether they were the sort of thing that might be a scam. A year or two ago I probably would have said 'this wasn't spam' -- after the scams and phishes of the last year it is a lot more fuzzy as to whether this email should have been reported or not. Personally if I were a company that was in the business of locating banks who could provide services for other banks, I think I would use snail mail or at least not send my query bcc and introduce myself and my company.

I think a reasonable person could go either way on whether to report this or not as there were troublesome things about the email.

I too get phishers on regular basis, some that have spoofed my own bank very successfully. I take my time to track the bank/agency the phisher tries to emulate and report it to them as well. The response from them is as a rule greatful and positive. You have to be quick and proactive about phishers, they tend to run briefly.

Archived