AOL ip's Blacklist blocks my personal mail

bbdpeg

Tonight When I sent AOL mail from Internet explorer, it was blocked as spam by my email server at work. When I logged onto AOL directly and sent an email using the same email account (bbdpeg[at]aol.com) the mail went through without a snag. When I logged off and opened IE and went to www.aol.com and sent the same email from the same computer, it was returned as containing spam. I am really confused as to why that is happening. SpamCop blockes IP address's not Email Acounts right?

PG :(

One can only guess from here that the blocking ISP isn't creating much of a useful error message ... normal and suggested mode is to supply a link to the "evidence" page on the SpamCop BL pages to show what the status of that IP was. You only note that the message complained of spam ... call your admin staff at work and advise them of the problem.

Also not stated specifically that SpamCop's BL list is even involved, though it would seem that this is the impression you wanted to leave.

Why the difference? Without details, "we" can't point at anything, but tchnically, the error messages about the bounced e-mail should contain the IP of the srver involved .. and comparing that to the server involved in sending the AOL e-mail that "flew" .. you should certainly see that there is more than one server involved .. one of them listed on the SpamCopBL .. the other isn't ...

Tonight When I sent AOL mail from Internet explorer, it was blocked as spam by my email server at work.  When I logged onto AOL directly and sent an email using the same email account (bbdpeg[at]aol.com) the mail went through without a snag.

This is fairly easy to explain. The origin and route your email is travelling by sending using those two different methods is different. When you send using your browser, as opposed to the full AOL interface, your message is seen as originating from the AOL webmail system, the servers of which (for some reason unknown to me) wind up being listed on the SpamCop Blacklist far more frequently than the conventional AOL email servers.

I'm assuming that your "email server at work" is programmed to use the SpamCop BL. What you need to do in this case is to ask the administrator of that server for the ability to "whitelist" the AOL addresses from which you normally receive email, including your own. They might even be able to program their system to allow all messages through that originate on the AOL webmail system. Unfortunately, those of us with SpamCop email accounts aren't able to do that, so we have to whitelist AOL addresses one at a time.

DT

Archived