E-mail from SpamCop Rejected by ISP

All email that I send to the ISP "rose.net" gets rejected when I use a SpamCop reply-to

e-mail address. Text of "reject message" follows:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<xxxxxxx[at]rose.net>

(reason: 550 Invalid ip (ms-smtp-03-smtplb.tampabay.rr.com 65.32.5.133) for address (rjrobison[at]spamcop.net) wanted (*spamcop.net))

I munged out the address of the intended recipient. It looks to me like the ISP tries to match the IP address of the SMTP server used to send the e-mail to the reply-to IP address of the sender. Interestingly, if I try to send an e-mail from SpamCop webmail, I get a similar failure.

My friend on the other end has talked with the ISP people. They really don't know what's going on. They are willing to try to resolve the issue if I can provide some more info.

FWIW, I can receive e-mails from this ISP with no problem. Can anyone shed more light on what may be going on here?

Interestingly, if I try to send an e-mail from SpamCop webmail, I get a similar failure.

24411[/snapback]

If the problem is what you think it is, that would not be surprising, because the webmail is sent from a server at cesmail.net, not spamcop.net:

Received: from c60.cesmail.net (c60.cesmail.net [216.154.195.49])

My friend on the other end has talked with the ISP people. They really don't know what's going on.

Yes, they do...I just called them and spoke with "Clint" and he was very informative. They've just recently implemented SPF on their servers, but it's WAY too early for them to be blocking incoming messages based on SPF issues.

Your "friend on the other end" needs to call them back and tell them to turn this feature "off" for his/her account until they work out all the bugs, or until SPF becomes more universal. Clint indicated that they would act on such a request from a customer.

DT

Well, my friend contacted Clint at Rose.net. Clint supposedly set SPF "off". I tried an e-mail and got bounced again. We reported this to Clint as "not an answer". Clint in turn forwarded a note to me from someone in Technical Support for Rose.net. Here is the salient point from the note:

"We have a rule designated globally in Surgemail (Rose.Net mail server) that

requires anyone sending from the spamcop.net domain to send via the

spamcop.net email servers. This rule was put in place to stop an onslaught

of spoofed spamcop.net email addresses that was causing our mail server to

be listed in the spamcop.net black list. This rule can not be removed since

doing so could negatively impact our ability to send out email. "

O.K. so SpamCop doesn't use email servers in the SpamCop domain. Any suggestions on how to straighten this mess out?

They've just recently implemented SPF on their servers, but it's WAY too early for them to be blocking incoming messages based on SPF issues.

24419[/snapback]

It could not have been an SPF issue (at least if their SPF is properly implemented), because AFAIK SpamCop publishes SPF records that allow mailing from anywhere in the world.

O.K. so SpamCop doesn't use email servers in the SpamCop domain. Any suggestions on how to straighten this mess out?

24427[/snapback]

Simple workaround: Put something other than your SpamCop address into the From: field when writing to that person.

Better solution: Tell them not to use a C/R system. If I understand the situation correctly, they replied to the onslaught of spoofed mail by sending challenges "back" to the innocent owners of these spamcop.net email accounts, who in turn reported them and got them blacklisted. This page explains why such C/R systems are bad:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html

They should also note that not just owners of spamcop.net addresses report and contribute to the SpamCop Blocking List. So their "fix" does not at all guarantee that they will stay off the SpamCopDNSbl.

just my 2 cents. This issue was of blocking for a complicated reason. It's too hard for me to want to understand.

However anyone reading post #1 may have compared it to my post a week ago. And now I know my mail was NOT being blocked. Just some weirdness in Spamcop's Webmail and how it handles multiple matches for a recipient address in contacts.

I solved it by clicking on Expand Names twice.

Archived