Will SC Mail continue to pop free Hotmail?

Ex_Brit

Whenever Microsoft has made a move to restrict free, non-advertising-supported access to Hotmail or MSN accounts, the programmer(s) behind popgate have reacted appropriately, and I hope that they will so react in the face of the latest threat.

Thanks. One would hope that they do. It will be interesting to see if SC/Popgate can as MSN seems quite adamant that there will be no access except directly through their web interface.

It will be interesting to see if SC/Popgate can as MSN seems quite adamant that there will be no access except directly through their web interface.

24671[/snapback]

Can't popgate pretend to be a person and access your email directly through their web interface? Of course, in that case popgate would need to be updated every time MSN makes a significant change to their web interface.

Can't popgate pretend to be a person and access your email directly through their web interface? Of course, in that case popgate would need to be updated every time MSN makes a significant change to their web interface.

24672[/snapback]

I'm going to wait and see as I don't actually use SC right now to filter Hotmail, but I would be interested in adding it to my list if it is successful.

Which leads me to another question, that link I quoted on my post above leaves a lot of info out. I can't find anywhere any reference to hotmail.cesmail.net for instance.

I assume in the case of hotmail. SC only acts on the incoming mail? In Outlook Express I see no settings for outgoing mail for hotmail at all. It's an http link much like a newsgroup.

I find the SC instructions are lacking in info.

that link I quoted on my post above leaves a lot of info out.

24673[/snapback]

Yes, it does. I far prefer my FAQ Entry: Email System "POP Configuration" Setup, but then I'm biased. :)
I can't find anywhere any reference to hotmail.cesmail.net for instance.

24673[/snapback]

That reference on Does SpamCop work with AOL/MSN/Hotmail? should have been removed a long time ago.
I assume in the case of hotmail. SC only acts on the incoming mail?

24673[/snapback]

Correct.
In Outlook Express I see no settings for outgoing mail for hotmail at all. It's an http link much like a newsgroup.

24673[/snapback]

But it works. Sometimes. I've got one account on which it only works the third time.

24673[/snapback]

Does my post help? Thanks.

In Outlook Express I see no settings for outgoing mail for hotmail at all.

Actually, you ptobablt don't see an Incoming server either ... it's an Microsoft server using a specialized form of HTTP to handle traffic.

It's an http link much like a newsgroup.

Actually, a real newsgroup would be seen with NNTP: as the file protocol ...

Yet so few have the courage to say this out loud <g>

That reference on Does SpamCop work with AOL/MSN/Hotmail? should have been removed a long time ago.

Actually a bit funny there, am having a bit of e-mail dialog with RW about that FAQ ... he had just stated that part of the "Trashed" items I was showing were due to most of the "Mail Service" entries being deleted when JT took that part of the show over .... I had just responded talking about yesterday's name change and referenced those FAQ entries that still carried the "Mail Service" lines .... added this last comment into my last to him .. maybe it'll be gone later this morning <g>

Yes, it does.  I far prefer my FAQ Entry: Email System "POP Configuration" Setup, but then I'm biased. :)That reference on Does SpamCop work with AOL/MSN/Hotmail? should have been removed a long time ago.Correct.But it works. Sometimes.  I've got one account on which it only works the third time.Does my post help?  Thanks.

24686[/snapback]

Yes it helps....thanks!

Here is the beginning of what Microsoft's "MSN Hotmail Member Services" actually wrote to me (the rest is advertising and opt-out crap):

MSN HOTMAIL MEMBER COMMUNICATION

Dear MSN Member,

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer

experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services,

Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via

Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and

valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN

account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to

continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook

Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will

not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express.

Note that this appears to mean no change for us "existing and valued customer"s.

Here is the beginning of what Microsoft's "MSN Hotmail Member Services" actually wrote to me (the rest is advertising and opt-out crap):Note that this appears to mean no change for us "existing and valued customer"s.

24703[/snapback]

Do I detect a change of heart over [at] MSN? I wouldn't miss it really, all I ever got there was spam, and with filters set right, even that doesn't arrive any more.

Thanks for the update.

I would like to know exactly how:

Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via

Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

will accomplish this:

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer

experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services,

The only way I can see it is that people will stiop using MSN and will no longer complain to them. ;)

Ooh, one of their ads just hit the tripwire, and is strictly advertising (not important concerning using MY MSN e-mail service) - should I report it? :ph34r:

Subject: Using your MSN e-mail service - important alert

X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.0 (2004-09-13) on blade6

X-spam-Level: *****

X-spam-Status: hits=5.6 tests=AWL,FORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD,HTML_60_70,HTML_MESSAGE,

HTML_TEXT_AFTER_BODY,HTML_TITLE_EMPTY,X_MESSAGE_INFO version=3.0.0

X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.105 216.154.195.36 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.201 65.54.252.13 207.46.132.135 207.46.153.40

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked SpamAssassin=5

Archived