Improve the whitelist module please!

I just tried to delete unwanted entries in my SC Mail whitelist. Each entry I deleted took me back to page 1. When you have over 35 pages to deal with this makes it a very slow process. It should at least remain on the page you are dealing with. It would also help if each item had a date attached as to when it was placed there.

I just tried to delete unwanted entries in my SC Mail whitelist.  Each entry I deleted took me back to page 1.  When you have over 35 pages to deal with this makes it a very slow process.  It should at least remain on the page you are dealing with.  It would also help if each item had a date attached as to when it was placed there.

24896[/snapback]

I agree The whitelist is hard to update

I try to whitelist domains and only use specific domain addresses when it becomes a problem to keep the list shorter

It would also be nice if it were possible to add names to the white list from within the web mail interface in the same fashion that you can in the VER interface -

Select one or a list of emails and white list and forward. (of course, forwarding would not be necessary when using the web mail interface)

Currently I use IMAP to handle my held mail. I move any messages that I want to white list to a separate folder and then after processing and deleating anything that is left in HeldMail, I move the messages back to the HeldMail folder, then go to the VER interface and white list and forward from there. It is a bit of a hassle, but is easier that entering each one individually.

It would also be nice if it were possible to add names to the white list from within the web mail interface

Those functions are currently available from the Held Mail folder of webmail. I agree that they should probably be added (with confirmations) to the new version of webmail when the customizations are done.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps someone could look into improving the way the whitelist works? As it is it's very cumbersome to use, especially if you are trying to delete items here and there. I just tried earlier and wanted to delete one on page 10, did so and was returned to page 1, I then had to click "Next" repeatedly until I reached page 38.

Recommendations would be to to have a progressive 1 2 3 4 Next page choice at the bottom and to stay on the page selected after an address is deleted so that one can continue without having to start from the beginning all over again.

Sorry, this is a repeat request... I was just hoping someone might have done something about it by now!

Edited by Ex_Brit

I know not if Turba is in use, but ....

http://wiki.horde.org/display.php?Horde=fb...ge=FAQUserTurba

How can I delete all my contacts and start over?

Many times people want to delete all their contacts, or a large number of contacts, in one simple operation. At this time, there is no way for the user to do this in Turba. You must delete them one by one.

If you have a large number of contacts you want to remove (from a bad import for example), you may want to contact your system administrator and ask if they can delete them for you at the backend level (sql, ldap, etc). Many times the administrator can quickly and easily remove all entries for a user at this level. However, not all administrators can, or will, provide this level of service.

In the next release of Turba you should be able to easily delete multiple contacts easily.

This question or anything close isn't in the FAQ/Wiki for IMP ...????

Strangely, http://wiki.horde.org/ is now giving me a "connection refused" condition ...????

Try http://www.horde.org/faq/ instead??

Strangely, http://wiki.horde.org/ is now giving me a "connection refused" condition ...????

Well, turns out that this set of pages (Horde Wiki Documentation) is a waste of time at this point. One page on conf.xml that doesn't actually offer specifics, another "list of things that need to be documented" - blank ... no help on that Wiki at all ...

Guess I'll just note the following http://wiki.horde.org/display.php?Horde=1f...iHome&page=FAQ# includes the text;

User's FAQ

The User's FAQ is still quite new; if you know of something that you think should be added to it, please let us know!

(should note that the Wiki for the FAQ seems to be just another view of the existing plain old FAQ (see link in my last post) and appears to be just as woefully empty as the above example ..??strange)

The same guy is listed as maintaining both the User and Admin FAQ, e-mail is screened via a PHP code block ... maybe hit the FAQ and shoot the query their way?

It seems the owner of that, whoever it is, is as bad at maintaining his pages as he is at fixing things. I give up. But someone at SC might know who to contact and what to say better than I.

• 5 months later...

One area where the Spamcop tools seem to be a bit lacking is in the ability to maintain your whitelist/blackist. My whitelist has grown quite large, and I'm sure that many of the entries are obsolete, or could be grouped under a domain (the majority of my entries are created using the 'Add to Whitelist' function when releasing messages.)

One of the biggest problems is that the entries can only be viewed 15 at a time, which makes it very tedious to search through the entries. I would love to be able to dump all the entries, clean them up, then load them back in. But to do that, a few new features would need to be added:

* The ability to export the existing entries. I would even be happy if I could simply be able to display all the entries on a single page, and I could copy/paste them into another file.

* The ability to upload whilelist entries from a file. This could be a very simplistic, 1 entry per line textfile.

* The ability to clear all current entries. This would be most useful just prior to uploading new entries (such as after an export and clean-up.)

The above should be fairly simple to implement, since they would not require any changes to the functionality of the existing data. However, since I'm asking, there are a couple of additional features that, while more complicated to implement, would also be very helpful:

* Showing, for each whitelist entry, the date it was last accessed (in other words, the last time an incoming message had that address/domain.)

* Indicating the number of hits on an entry

These would make it much easier to weed out one-time entries, or ones that are no longer being used, so that they could be deleted. If a file export were done, these two fields could be part of the dump to a csv file. I would think that more concise whitelists would help Spamcop's performance (it certainly wouldn't hurt!)

• 2 months later...

Would be nice to have a delete all checkbox in the personal whitelist page.

When I clear out my whitelist, it can take up to 10 min to check all the items, delete, move to the next page.

Thanks.

Moderator edit: merged into this existing Topic/Discussion. PM sent to advise of the Merge.

Edited by Wazoo

• 5 months later...

Recently I got in a hurry and didn't pay attention to what I was doing and whitelisted & released a bunch of spam from my held mail folder. I'm slowly deleting the bad whitelist entries, but it would be nice if SpamCop would "auto-clean" my whitelist or at least give me the OPTION to do it when reporting spam. Heck, even if I had to report 'em one-at-a-time, it would be worth it if there were a checkbox to "remove this entry from the personal whitelist" or something?

Just a thought. It would help people like me who get in a hurry and whitelist a whole bunch of spam. :)

Another idea would be a "filter" in the whitelist to show all the "new" whitelist entries for the past X days (say 30) for those of us who have done stupid stuff like this so we don't have to wait for spam to get through on the whitelist.

Thanks

Maxx

Recently I got in a hurry and didn't pay attention to what I was doing and whitelisted & released a bunch of spam from my held mail folder. I'm slowly deleting the bad whitelist entries, but it would be nice if ...

You are not the first person to ask this. There is likely a thread in the New Features but I was unable to locate one immediately. A moderator will likely move this thread into that group, possibly into an appropriate thread.

That being said, I'm not sure how much of the whitelist capability is home built and how much uses IMP (the webmail application).

Moved/Merged mrmaxx's last post (and Steven's reply) to this Forum section / this Topic ... PM sent to advise of this new location ....

And as stated in my PM reply... no problem. I wasn't sure if it belonged in the Feature Request section or in the e-mail section. :-) Keep up the good work, Wazoo.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's time spamcop updated the personal whitelist manager to become more user-friendly.

I have 51 pages in my personal whitelist, with only 15 people on each page. I should be allowed to specify how many entries are displayed on each page.

When I delete an entry, it always returns me to the first page. It should reload the last page from which I deleted the entry.

There should be a fast way to jump straight to a desired page, without editing the URL in the addrss box.

I think it's time spamcop updated the personal whitelist manager to become more user-friendly.

I have 51 pages in my personal whitelist, with only 15 people on each page. I should be allowed to specify how many entries are displayed on each page.

When I delete an entry, it always returns me to the first page. It should reload the last page from which I deleted the entry.

There should be a fast way to jump straight to a desired page, without editing the URL in the addrss box.

This has been asked for several times, the last only 5 threads down... this should be moved to that thread. http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3734

It would be nice to change it, but there does not appear to be much work being done on changes right now... only increased disk space, etc.

• 4 months later...

I know this has been mentioned from time to time in the past, but the SC email whitelist interface needs work, and now it's time. With the dramatic increase in spam of late, and the higher (in my personal experience) SCBL listing of certain ISPs causing desired mail to be blocked, the interface to the whitelist feature really needs to be augmented. The current interface simply doesn't scale.

It would suit my needs if I could upload a text file of the same strings that are now used by the whitelist function, and have my uploaded list entirely replace the installed whitelist on my SC email account. With a matching download to text file capability, I can download the current whitelist, edit it to remove entries, widen/narrow the string match, and add lots of new names, then upload the new whitelist.

With more ISPs getting listed due to p0wned boxen and whatever, the whitelist is even more important than ever to expedite desired email from senders stuck on those ISPs. When will this long-requested feature request be acknowledged, and maybe even scheduled?

I know this has been mentioned from time to time in the past, but the SC email whitelist interface needs work, and now it's time. With the dramatic increase in spam of late, and the higher (in my personal experience) SCBL listing of certain ISPs causing desired mail to be blocked, the interface to the whitelist feature really needs to be augmented. The current interface simply doesn't scale.

It would suit my needs if I could upload a text file of the same strings that are now used by the whitelist function, and have my uploaded list entirely replace the installed whitelist on my SC email account. With a matching download to text file capability, I can download the current whitelist, edit it to remove entries, widen/narrow the string match, and add lots of new names, then upload the new whitelist.

With more ISPs getting listed due to p0wned boxen and whatever, the whitelist is even more important than ever to expedite desired email from senders stuck on those ISPs. When will this long-requested feature request be acknowledged, and maybe even scheduled?

While I support your cause, I don't understand your premise that you are whitelisting more netries unless you have changed your blacklist settings.

The only entry I have added in the last year or so is a new mailing list my wife subscribed to.

While I support your cause, I don't understand your premise that you are whitelisting more netries unless you have changed your blacklist settings.

The only entry I have added in the last year or so is a new mailing list my wife subscribed to.

No, you miss the point. I have some number of email correspondents who, for better or worse, are stuck with ISPs that are listed on the SCBL from time to time. For example: AOL, Earthlink, etc. I am not about to whitelist the entire sending domain, but I would like to whitelist the addresses I expect to receive email from.

A common starting point for that list is addreses to which I have sent email, plus addresses from which I have received email that I accepted. I would like to upload a list of those addresses in bulk.

As time goes by, addresses on that list will become obsolete, and I would like to be able to delete them from the list. Paging through 35+ web pages is not my idea of the most efficient way to do this, especially if the one I am looking for ends up at the end of the list in sorted order.

I guess I don't understand *your* premise! Are you claiming that you never receive email from anyone at a large ISP that gets itself listed, but that you want to whitelist so that the email gets through without delay? (or even worse, doesn't get through because it is buried in a pile of real spam, not false positives?)

I guess I don't understand *your* premise! Are you claiming that you never receive email from anyone at a large ISP that gets itself listed, but that you want to whitelist so that the email gets through without delay?

I was responding to your statement:

the higher (in my personal experience) SCBL listing of certain ISPs causing desired mail to be blocked
.I have seen no increase in the listings of large ISP's.

The few people I know using large ISP's (hotmail, mostly) have been whitelisted since I started using SpamCop several years ago, not usually blocked by the spamcop bl, however. I have never found a compelling reason to delete entries from the whitelist. Perhaps if I started seeing spam coming through one of the addresses, I would. Almost all of my whitelisting is individual addresses, few domains.

As I said to begin with, I agree the whitelist utility should be fixed, I just don't interface with it enough to put it on a higher priority than many of the other ongoing issues (like the application upgrade that has been stalled twice in the last year or so).

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of work-arounds:

From the "better than nothing" department...

Resuming whitelist page after deleting an entry

Simple; use your browser's "back" button. Returns you to the whitelist page you just deleted from. I do not have to refresh when doing this, your browser may vary.

Deleting a page at a time

See this page of Form Bookmarklets, specifically the one named "toggle checkboxes". It toggles the state of each checkbox on a page. Lots of other goodies here too.

And uh, speaking as someone who's been bitched at upon offering work-around suggestions for living with systems that need improvement and which I do not control... Let me just say in advance to any such gripers; bite me. And by all means, do continue to suffer. :)

And oh yeah... that whitelist thing really needs some work. Where's the "whitelist every address in my webmail address book feature"? Feh.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotta say, this would be a great thing to improve. I kind of get the feeling that there hasn't really been any work done on the SpamCop interface in quite a while. I'm getting a ton more spam than I was a year ago but SC's tools haven't improved to keep up. I'm getting over 1500+ held messages a week. It takes quite a bit of time just to delete them, forget even trying to report them. I know I've accidentally selected the forward and white list on a batch of spam at least once. I gave up on trying to clean up the white list after the first page.