Has someone hijacked Spamcop account?

My office received an e-mail, supposedly from my spamcop address, that was sent before I even woke up or logged in this morning. The e-mail was in Italian. Now, I didn't send this, and I'm wondering how it was sent and how they knew to use my address to do it. Has Spamcop allowed someone to hijack my address? Who can I consult for this? Please reply in plain english--I only use spamcop to forward and filter my mail. I rarely enter the forums or do anything else with it.

Am I going to start getting reported by others as a spammer?

BTW, here is the text of the message that was sent using my account (it had my info in the From: box, then:

Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:17 AM

To: Janice Kawaminami

Subject: massas!

acrdito que em voce!!!

I'm a bit confused. If you are actually a SpamCop user, then one would think you'd know that it's the header data that would need to be seen for anyone to talk about your issue. The forging of e-mail addresses has been going on for years now, but the coincidence of your address being used in an e-mail to your office does suggest the possibilty of viral/trojan activity ... but without headers to see where/how the e-mail was originated and sourced ...??????

One of your contacts or YOU got infected by a virus/worm which is professionally coded to send spam.

As messing with "admin" is not a good idea, I have to say we advertise spamcop to many newbies wanting to buy Yahoo, Hotmail plus etc. ;)

So, prepare for lots not knowing what on earth "header" is *g*

Archived