Habitual offenders

Copywriter

Forgive me, a newbie and a technophobe. I've been spamcopping for a few months now - mainly for the warm feeling - and once the machine has done its parsing thing it comes back and tells me it's reporting spam to (usually) abuse[at]xxx.xxx

Great.

And above that it tells me that the bunch of numbers that represent xxx.xxx are not on blocking lists. So far, I think I understand.

What I don't understand is that probably 30% of my spam comes via just a few ISP's - like comcast.net, kornet.net and rr.com, yet these always seem NOT to be on a blocking lists.

Given that they are habitual offenders, why not?

These "habitual offenders" are big ISP shops.

The addresses you actually recieve the "spam" from usually are NOT repeat offenders.

I've recieved about maybe 30 spams from duplicate IP addresses out of 3000+ spams. That's about 1 percent.

If the ISP shops you referenced were blacklisted (all of their customers would have to be blacklisted) and (probably) some of your correspondents would may not be able to send mail to you.

That would cause a serious communication breakdown for a lot of people.

And above that it tells me that the bunch of numbers that represent xxx.xxx are not on blocking lists. So far, I think I understand.

What I don't understand is that probably 30% of my spam comes via just a few ISP's - like comcast.net, kornet.net and rr.com, yet these always seem NOT to be on a blocking lists.

You seem to be thinking that the SpamCopDNSBL works on Domain names. It doesn't. The "repeated" spam spew from places like rr.com and comcast for example are from compromised end-user computers .... There are other BLs out there that would block this traffic based on the fact that these IP addresses fall inot a "Dial-Up user space" (which also serves to reduce the amont of complaints submitted <g> .... Your (and other) complaints may end up adding aone of these specific IPs to the SpamCopDNSBL, but spammer has probably already moved the spew to the next compromised machine found on that network. One would hope that these ISPs actually force these compromised machines to get cleaned up, and have to assume that with enough complaints, this may be done ... it just doesn't seem that these large high-speed providers are proactive enough yet ... So once again, pointing to the long-term effects of continued reporting as the only real-mode process at present ...

Archived