my brother and I suddenly can't email each other

kitowa

My brother has a sidekick on Tmobile, and I have a text messager on airmessage.net. Starting this morning, his messages cannot get through to me. I do not have an account with spamcop (at least I didn't til I signed up to post). Why is he blocked from contacting me? We really need to be able to keep in touch as we are both deaf and have no other way of contacting each other if not at home on the computer. Please help! :o

1. I don't know if text messaging uses a standard email type interface on the network side. I am going to assume for the sake of this discussion that it does, otherwis spamcop would not be involved at all.

2. You do not mention what brought you here to the spamcop forums. Are one (or both of you) receiving error messages when trying to send to the other? Please post that error message if it exists.

3. From your message, I don't know which drection the problem is happening. It is not likely that both servers are listed at the same time disrupting communications in both directions.

4. Signing up for the spamcop forums does not sign you up for any of the spamcop services. Each service (parsing and reporting, blocking list, and email service) is operated independently, while using resources from the others.

Ok, here are my responses...

1. yes, it uses a standard email type interface

2. I came to spamcop because my brother is receiving a message that his email to me has been refused by "a blackhole site blspamcop.net" (his words to me to my computer email account).

3. It is happening in only one direction. My emails from my text messager to his sidekick account get through. his emails from his sidekick to my text messager are the ones being refused. This started abruptly this morning.

4. And yes, I know that signing up for the forum doesn't entitle me to any services. I just mentioned that because I am puzzled as to why spamcop is not letting my brother's messages come through to me, since I have not signed up for any services and do not want his messages blocked. Our parents are elderly, live separately, and this is a big deal for us not to be able to keep in touch and coordinate care.

If there is something I can do from my end to allow his messages to come through, I'd very much appreciate the appropriate procedure to follow. Thanks!

Here is the exact message my brother is receiving (I have replaced actual email addresses for security):

Failed to deliver to 'my email address[at]airmessage.net'

SMTP module(domain airmessage.net) reports:

return-path address <my brother's email address[at]tmail.com> rejected by

airmessage.net:

550 5.7.1 Mail from 216.220.209.222 refused by blackhole site

bl.spamcop.net

216.220.209.222 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 3 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

Seems your system is bouncing to spamtraps. This was covered in several recent threads.

Notably, there is an unusual increase in volume spewed from that IP recently:

Volume Statistics for this IP 

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day 5.0 636%

Last 30 days 5.0 710%

Average 4.1 

Ok, I will check that out, thanks for the info, and hopefully all will be well soon. It has been more than 3 hours, but hope it will be back online before Monday when we will really need to be able to keep in touch thru the day. Thanks!

Not mentioned is whether or not you spent some time reading the "read before posting" entries ... specifically the "Why am I Blocked" item also found in the Forum FAQ. Reasons for getting on the BL and some possible work-arounds/solutions are also offered.

THere is also at least one real report listed from this IP address but it was sent by a mole reporter, which last I know does not count toward the blocking list (weight=0). THis one also looks like a bounced message being reported.

Submitted: Friday, March 11, 2005 6:31:58 PM -0500:

Undeliverable mail: Hi

I did try looking there, but I am totally new to this problem, and did not know what would apply, and which info would apply to me. Now I do know what does apply, and am in the process of reading it. English is a second language for me, and sometimes I don't always realize what I"m reading. I'm a little smarter now, thanks to the helpful info provided. This is a fascinating new field that just opened up to me, and I will be researching it more, and applying the knowledge. I'm starting to understand a little more how email works and what problems can come up. Many thanks again!

that's interesting... I have noticed that when I use a short subject line like hi, hey, or hello to another friend, and he replies, the ISP adds "possible spam" in the subject line. So I'm avoiding using those short words in subject lines, and advising my brother not to also. Problaby not related to this problem, but your example reminded me of that.

THere is also at least one real report listed from this IP address but it was sent by a mole reporter, which last I know does not count toward the blocking list (weight=0).  THis one also looks like a bounced message being reported.

Submitted: Friday, March 11, 2005 6:31:58 PM -0500:

Undeliverable mail: Hi

25395[/snapback]

OK ... it appears that the server handling your outgoing e-mail has some spam issues. The server used by your brother's e-mail provider is using the SpamCopDNSBL as part of their incoming spam control. Due to the issues of spam at your end, this e-mail is blocked at the brother's end. One possibility is that your brother "may" have a way to whitelist your address .... but all that is unknown from here .. he needs to talk to his provider.

Ok thanks for the additonal input. We'll be getting together tomorrow, and I'll pass along that info to him, and we will see what we can do to resolve it. I feel like I've gotten some tools to work with from coming on this site, and truly appreciate it. Will come back on tonight to see if any further tips or info are sent in the meantime. Thanks again! :)

<snip>

English is a second language for me, and sometimes I don't always realize what I"m reading. <snip>

25396[/snapback]

...Please take this as the compliment it is intended to be: your claim that English is a second language for you is not at all credible. Your posts here are clear, grammatically perfect (maybe that should have been a hint to me!) and even colloquial! My hgh commendations to whomever taught you written English. :D <big G>

Archived