[Resolved] Problem with Emails from IPB Forum SW

Jeff G.

And again, I placed an entry in the "How to Use ..." Forum that talks about the confusion factor of some of these buttons .... the developers think that the quote marks on the button are self-explanatory, but then get a bit hyper when asked about the "+" symbol on the multi-quote button (though again, pointing out that it's obvious once you figure out what it means <g>)

Back the on-topic side of things ... just posted this over in the IPB support Forum, jumping into (yet another) Topic that started with a query as to why another Forum's users weren't getting the "new post in Topic" notifications. (be advised that I'm more than a bit let down over there ... I've yet to get anything close to a usable answer to my original query (different subject, but still dealing with e-mail from this app) ... yet I'm at around 70 posts answering other people's questions that too lazy to look stuff up themselves (this said after spending three days reading thousands of items looking to see if the answer already existed) ... 4 different "Technical staff" have totally blown off my requests for a look at my original [and further amplified/expanded requests for help]) .... fingers crossed on this one ...

Here I go again, not having access to the actual code and hitting a Topic at the same time I was going to post my 'new' query ... Got a bit of a gripe this morning from a user complaining about the fact that these notifications were arriving with no Date: line in the headers .... thus the notifications received weren't "sorted" in his display of new e-mail.

User offered up an example of his "Registration" e-mail to show the "no Date:" problem .. I started with pointing out that I was pretty sure that the Registration code and the New Post code were probably different, so I asked for a 'real' example ... had several folks chime in showing that none of the outgoing e-mails generated by the "X-Mailer: IPB PHP Mailer" includes a Date: line.

Now thinking that perhaps I'm right back with another twist on the same question I originally posted in here ... this time going further and asking if this is a bug or not? I see nothing referencing this from the ACP (in 2.0.3) ....???

I never noticed this as it appears that HotMail adds a Date: line ...???

• 2 months later...

Wow, looking for something else entirely, but came upon this Topic ..... somewhere within the last couple of months I actually did modify the code for this application and there is now a Date: line inserted into the outgoing e-mail headers ... (as I have yet to find what I've actually blown a couple of hours looking for, I'm not going to start a new search) ... suffice to say that I think I'll call this item 'resolved'

Wow, looking for something else entirely, but came upon this Topic ..... somewhere within the last couple of months I actually did modify the code for this application and there is now a Date: line inserted into the outgoing e-mail headers ... (as I have yet to find what I've actually blown a couple of hours looking for, I'm not going to start a new search) ... suffice to say that I think I'll call this item 'resolved'

28995[/snapback]

And now it appears to work in SpamCop land. Are you on the development team for this app? So we can expect the date header to propogare as people upgrade?

Thanks,

SKip

And now it appears to work in SpamCop land.  Are you on the development team for this app?  So we can expect the date header to propogare as people upgrade?

Thanks for that bit of laughter. I'm up to 3-400 posts over in that support Forum, have only asked .. let's say 10 requests for help ... none of them have ever been answered. Those remaining posts were repsonses to other people's queries on how things work. This date thing came out of a go-round with a half-dozen other folks that are using IPS hosting for thier Forums, and that shared server ends up sending out e-mail with a "nobody[at]" in the Return/Reply fields, compounded by the lack of a Date: line, I also expanded on the possible "seen as spam" consturct of the validation e-mail ... at issue was that so many folks trying to "register" never received the validation e-mail...... I believe I had actually posted parts of a couple of those exchanges here, hoping to get some e-mail server Admin folks here to jump in and add more 'reasons' beyond what I'd already pointed out (and have to state that this didn't happen here either <g>)

But, as it turns out, Matt (the lead programmer of this app) has "made this fix" in the upcoming 2.1 version .. the only 2.0.4 or below folks that have made this change are those that have either read the appropriate IPB Forum sections/posts or figured it out on their own ....

It does actually work, producing the following line this morning:

Date: Wed,  8 Jun 2005 10:27:30 -0400

Actually, I think the only issue left hanging was whether I had actually stuck it in at the right place, RFC wise .... now I can't remember if I went and researched all that out or not ... may have just dropped it when "it worked" ...???

• 1 year later...

Did the date thing get fixed? If so, I think it's broken again.

I got this email with the missing date when someone has "posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed" in the forum. The spamcop webmail page shows the date as "Unknown Date". My version of Thunderbird installs a value of 0 for the date making it the Epoch (which is Dec 31, 1969 18:00:00 CST at my location).

Here is the headers (I took my spamcop account out, at least I think I got all the references):

Content-type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Delivered-To: &lt;x&gt;
From: SpamCop Discussion &lt;news[at]news.spamcop.net&gt;
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-Id: &lt;57d75a$b3nis1[at]c60.cesmail.net&gt;
Received: * (qmail 9267 invoked from network); 4 Aug 2006 05:31:32 -0000
          * from unknown (HELO c60.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.105) by blade5.cesmail.net with SMTP; 4 Aug 2006 05:31:32 -0000
          * from unknown (HELO c60.cesmail.net) ([216.154.195.60]) by c60.cesmail.net with SMTP; 04 Aug 2006 01:31:30 -0400
Return-Path: * &lt;news[at]news.spamcop.net&gt;
             * news[at]news.spamcop.net
Subject: Topic Subscription Reply Notification ( SpamCop Discussion )
To: &lt;x&gt;
X-IronPort-AV: i="4.07,209,1151899200"; d="scan'208"; a="373017473:sNHT107673932"
X-Mailer: IPB PHP Mailer
X-Priority: 3
X-spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.1.1 (2006-03-10) on blade5
X-spam-Level:  	
X-spam-Status: hits=-1.8 tests=ALL_TRUSTED,AWL version=3.1.1
X-SpamCop-Checked: 192.168.1.105 216.154.195.60
Headers: Show Limited Headers

I don't think it puts the "Date: " field in the headers.

Did the date thing get fixed? If so, I think it's broken again.

I don't think it puts the "Date: " field in the headers.

Yeah, you caught me. I know I just posted elsewhere that I had "caught up" with the coding patches ....

Despite the statement from Matt that this change was in the 2.1 upgrade ... somwhere it must have disappeared again ... (I did the big jump from 2.0.4 to 2.1.6, so don't really know if it was ever added actually.)

I had this item in my notes, however, I had links to the IPB posts/discussions where 'we' had worked all this stuff out. Those links are dead, due to a massive reorganiztion, change in strategy IPB did on their support Forum.

Scrolling through the last "documentation file for the next poor sucker" I keep adding to, the last note I left myself here was in fact having to figure out what file was the one (or more?) that needed a touch to insert the Date field .... however, I was also looking at the Wiki app at the same time, kind of the same issue there, where it currently sends out it's e-mail as 'anonymous' .... not real happy with the either, but that code turned out to be a bit of a nightmare ..... and that work got overrun with 'us' being asked to work on the Alpha, then Beta, then final 1.1.6.2 release of that application .... and now that you bring it up, I haven't looked at that code in a while either ....

Thanks for the reminder.

<snip>

Thanks for the reminder.

No Prob. I just had noticed it and searched and found that you knew about it and had fixed it at one point.

Things are lookin' up. I did a search and actually found what I was looking for. Yahooooooooooo! :D

No Prob. I just had noticed it and searched and found that you knew about it and had fixed it at one point.

Fixed again 'here' .. if I was a nice guy, I'd go over to the IPB Forum and post this patch once again, but .... not having taken the time to go there in over a week, I'm guessing I'd get too distracted by other issues and forget again <g>

Archived