Search held mail

Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to search the held mail folder?

Whatever field I search, nothing happens for several minutes, then I get this error:

"The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings. "

And I have the exact same problem when I try to empty the trash, or the held mail folder.

You probably have too many emails in those folders - please see this post for more info.

25466[/snapback]

But how exactly I'm I supposed to delete the emails in those folders when I get a timeout error when I try to empty the folders?????

You haven't identified any of the tools in use at your end, but ... in JeffG's response, linked item, suggestions there ... I see the line:

"If you can't use Webmail to reduce the quantity, please use another IMAP Client to do so."

You haven't identified any of the tools in use at your end, but ... in JeffG's response, linked item, suggestions there ... I see the line:

"If you can't use Webmail to reduce the quantity, please use another IMAP Client to do so."

25511[/snapback]

And how exactly do I do that? I can't find anything about this in the FAQ...

For Held Mail, if you don't get timeouts, you can use VER to empty it out 100 at a clip. For Inbox, if you don't get timeouts, you can use any less-timeout-sensitive POP3 client, even Outlook Express or Outlook with tweaked timeouts. For any of the mailboxes/Folders, you can use any less-timeout-sensitive IMAP4 client, even Outlook Express or Outlook with tweaked timeouts.

There are generally fewer timeouts during periods of lower utilization when Americans are asleep, so, ignoring the Southern Hemisphere for the moment, you can also wait until the time is after 11PM in all of the Americas and not yet 9AM in Western Europe, limiting you to one hour after 23:00 PST -0800 AKA 02:00 EST -0500 AKA 07:00 GMT -0000 AKA 08:00 WET +0100. If that's too narrow a window, please try when you first wake up (if you're on the East Coast) or just before bedtime (if you're on the West Coast). Of course, you can also wait for the weekend.

OTOH, humor aside, looking at the graphs referenced at the bottom of the Statistics Page, the actual high utilization period is for about 4 hours Monday through Friday starting at 04:00 PST -0800 AKA 07:00 EST -0500 AKA 12:00 GMT -0000 AKA 13:00 WET +0100. One analysis of that period is that many SpamCop Reporters in the US report their spam early in the morning before leaving for work/school/etc. or when they first get to work/school/etc., between 07:00 EST and 08:00 PST.

And how exactly do I do that? I can't find anything about this in the FAQ...

The Forum FAQ here??? listed as a Pinned item "read before posting" .... There are also some Pinned items in the "SpamCop E-mail Account Setup" Forum ....

For Held Mail, if you don't get timeouts, you can use VER to empty it out 100 at a clip.

You are kidding, right? I have about 40000 messages in the Held Mail folder. On average it take about 3 minutes to delete a page with 100 messages (unless I get a timeout and need to log in again, which generally takes another 2-3 minutes). You are expecting me to spend (40000/100*3/60) 200+ hours to delete all messages in the held mail folder?

No, I'm not expecting you to spend 200+ hours on that. You must have a pretty high pain threshold, to let 40,000 messages accumulate in Held Mail before asking for help.

This brings to mind a suggestion I may have made before, a magic Link or Button that doesn't time out and that deletes all Held Mail that's too old to report.

This brings to mind a suggestion I may have made before, a magic Link or Button that doesn't time out and that deletes all Held Mail that's too old to report.

25530[/snapback]

OK. I've set up Outlook to download the headers from imap.spamcop.net, but nothing happens when choose Edit->Delete to delete the selected messages. If I open a message and click the Delete button, Outlook hangs for a minue and then I get a message saying "Your IMAP server has not responded in 60 seconds...".

So how exactly I'm supposed to empty the Held Mail folder?????

And in the Trash folder I have nearly 150,000 messages (including 3-5 copies of most the messages in the Held Mail folder)!

• 1 month later...
I have about 40000 messages in the Held Mail folder.

How old were the oldest messages in your Held Mail? The system is supposed to dump anything older than 14 days, but this function has been a bit unreliable...see this thread:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2396

Once you're done searching the messages you've accessed via Eudora, and you're ready to get rid of all of your Held Mail at once, I'd recommend the following procedure:

1. log into SC webmail,

2. click on the Folders icon,

3. place checkmarks in the boxes by *both* Held Mail *and* Trash,

4. select "Empty Folder(s)" from the dropdown "Choose action" menu

That's how I empty mine, but with so many messages in there, you may experience web timeouts (although the process *might* continue, so if this happens, wait an hour before logging back in to try it again). Or you might use Eudora to delete them via IMAP.

If nothing works, you'll need to contact Support via email, but you'll want to implement a strategy to avoid building up so many items in the Held Mail again. I process mine every day.

DT

How old were the oldest messages in your Held Mail?

5 days.

The system is supposed to dump anything older than 14 days, but this function has been a bit unreliable...see this thread:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2396

Once you're done searching the messages you've accessed via Eudora, and you're ready to get rid of all of your Held Mail at once, I'd recommend the following procedure:

1. log into SC webmail,

2. click on the Folders icon,

3. place checkmarks in the boxes by *both* Held Mail *and* Trash,

4. select "Empty Folder(s)" from the dropdown "Choose action" menu

The reason I use Eudora is to avoid having to use webmail (it is pretty useless since I get timeouts all the time).

That's how I empty mine, but with so many messages in there, you may experience web timeouts (although the process *might* continue, so if this happens, wait an hour before logging back in to try it again). Or you might use Eudora to delete them via IMAP.

If nothing works, you'll need to contact Support via email, but you'll want to implement a strategy to avoid building up so many items in the Held Mail again. I process mine every day.

Yes, I get 1500-2000 messages daily, so I will probably have to log in and delete them every day.

The reason I use Eudora is to avoid having to use webmail (it is pretty useless since I get timeouts all the time).

Do you get a timeout when simply logging into the webmail, or only when you try to view your Held Mail once you're already logged in? If you can get logged in OK, then try the "Empty Folder(s)" procedure I outlined. Another folder to watch out for is your Trash. It's best not to let things accumulate there. In the Options, under the login Maintenance Operations, I've got my "Purge messages in Trash folder older than this amount of days" set to only 1 day.

Yes, I get 1500-2000 messages daily, so I will probably have to log in and delete them every day.

I'm going to guess that you're using a "catch all" address at one or more domains. I used to do that, but along with a lot of other domain admins, I've stopped doing it due to spam sent to random addresses and "common" addresses, such as "info[at]" or "sales[at]" (the smart thing is not to use those common addresses at all).

DT

To toss in my $0.02 -- I don't know what percentage of users are like me, but I use spamcop to *save my time*. I simply don't want to see spam or spend even one extra minute to deal with spam. This means I basically ignore my trash and held-mail folders. I never report as spam anything in the held-mail folder. So if the trash and held-mail empty themselves automatically, that's great; if not, I don't care as long as regular email keeps working. To me, it's not acceptable for my email to break (due to timeouts or whatever) because some folder accumulated too much email of whatever kind. Perhaps a warning email would be appropriate for an account that crosses some threshold. I don't know how the owner would receive that email if the system is timing out, though, so maybe not the best suggestion. Thanks for listening.

Archived