One of those days ...

Wazoo

Just received an e-bay item for another client ... Linksys router ... pulled one of mine out, swapped this one in, was giving it a bit of a work-out .. was having all kinds of weird connection issues ... some pages would snap right up, couldn't get to this Forum at all, spamcop.net was like 1 out of 10-12 attempts (trying to ignore that 'just got ripped off feeling <g>) ... and of course, the killer was receiving e-mail every now and then (more failure messages than activity) .. but had a list of PM notifications, yet couldn't connect to the Forum at all ... even received notification that someone at management of IPB finally answered one of my PMs there, but couldn't connect there either .... did rebuild this system, stll had problems, swapped my router back in, still screwed ... after doing everything I could think of and seeing complete failure of DNS, made the call and sat on hold for over a half-hour, hanging up when problem was resolved ... ISP DNS servers were shot. What timing!

That's one reason I carry around some IP Addresses of some reliable name servers that allow use by anyone (along with the IP Address of my favorite ftp server). Another is the odd service provider that thinks that denying name service to PCs running Win9x is a secure way of stopping web-browsing. :)

Archived