Is there anything else I can do?

JackSprat

Hi,

I keep getting the same spam emails, many every day, which are spamvertising the same products, using the same hosting companies and using the same relays.

I have been receiving these emails for many months and I report every one via SpamCop. Is there anything else I can do to stop receiving this mails. I would prefer not to change my email address, if possible.

The level of spam I get is gradually rising in spite of my efforts.

Thanks,

Identifying the specific complaint targets might help with a specific answer .... but, if you've been complaining to the spam source with no results, have you started taking the complaints upstream yet?

On the other hand, what type of filtering / blocking is available to you? You mention that some of the data is the same, so is there something to target on to add the crap to your filter rules?

Identifying the specific complaint targets might help with a specific answer .... but, if you've been complaining to the spam source with no results, have you started taking the complaints upstream yet?

I have never done this. I'm not even sure how to. Is there a help page anywhere

that explains how to do this?

On the other hand, what type of filtering / blocking is available to you?  You mention that some of the data is the same, so is there something to target on to add the crap to your filter rules?

I have no filtering or blocking at the moment. It is only over the last 6 months that I have had more than 1 or 2 spams per day, which is easy to cope with without having to buy additional software. I use an old version of Eudora which I don't think has any useful filtering capabilities.

Regards,

Here's a page to start with, lots of links to gather more data, just depends on how much time you want to spend to read up on it .. or maybe just how ticked off your are <g>

http://tomaszewski.net/Family/Intranet/StoppingSpam.shtml

There are tools available, like SpamPal that wedges in between your system, your e-mail client, and your ISP and can handle filtering, tagging, other stuff to handle your incoming e-mail / spam ....

Can anyone suggest how I can trace the upstream provider to complain?

I wish someone else had chimed in by now ... but as no one has ...

I'm in a bit of a bind here. The last time I got involved in answering this exact question over in the newsgroups, it spilled over into these Forums. It was even I that notee that this Forum was targeted, named, and defined as "Issues with the SpamCop Reporting System" which set off a bit of a furor as that poster decided to take it that I had it out for him ....

If the web page full of links I tossed out earlier wasn't of any value, I'm left with only suggesting at this point that you fire up your news reader app and head over to news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop or news://news.spamcop.net/spamcop.help and either look for Subject lines that include "Upstream" or make a new post / question there (of course, that will mean that you'll have to go back to see any responses)

This whole web-Forum thing was set up to stay away from the "too techie" things that tend to overwhelm newer net users. Unfortunately, your question is outside the use of the SpamCop Reporting System, and it gets us into the "too techie" area, and as I'm still a bit gun-shy from the last conversation this subject brought up when attempted 'here' ... Apologies ...

The last spam email I got was sent via an open relay (211.114.196.129).

Can anyone suggest how I can trace the upstream provider to complain?

Regards,

I realize that I am wandering thru on the tail end of some long thread that I don't have time to read but in any case -- the easiest thing to do first is to simply drop the IP into the SC parser and see what it says. If it says marysue[at]some_small_stupid_domain then you might want to use some of the webtools out there but in this particular case it says:

abuse[at]pubnet.ne.kr

hachang[at]kt.co.kr

spamrelay[at]certcc.or.kr

postmaster[at]pubnet.ne.kr

so while I guess you could chase down BGP transit routes, it seems to me that those addresses above are as good as any ... hopefully the ISP/IP owner closed to the open relay would be the folks to do something about it.

Ellen

(who somehow doesn't understand why we can't discuss ways to find upstreams etc in this newsgroup?)

This whole web-Forum thing was set up to stay away from the "too techie" things that tend to overwhelm newer net users. Unfortunately, your question is outside the use of the SpamCop Reporting System, and it gets us into the "too techie" area, and as I'm still a bit gun-shy from the last conversation this subject brought up when attempted 'here' ... Apologies ...

You could suggest that we move the discussion to the Lounge - nobody seems to be using it right now. No reason not to be techie in there.

Miss Betsy

(who somehow doesn't understand why we can't discuss ways to find upstreams etc in this newsgroup?)

The big discussion was based on newbie/experienced user issues. The starting reason for the limit is the definition of the Help Forum, which is "issues with the SpamCop Reporting Tool" and stepping out into upstreams is out of that specific range.

There has been a bit of a general consensus that another "techie" type Forum be started in lieu of having these types of issues in Help, but that went back to JT's thinking that techie stuff should remain over in the newsgroups ..... and I most assuredly agree with that thought <g>

BTW, I did note that you called this thing a "newsgroup" <g>

BTW, I did note that you called this thing a "newsgroup" <g>

Oh heavens -- that's probably grounds for expulsion or shunning when coupled with not understanding why tech discussions can't take place here ... I will go sit in a corner and do time out ...

• 3 months later...
abuse[at]pubnet.ne.kr

hachang[at]kt.co.kr

so while I guess you could chase down BGP transit routes, it seems to me that those addresses above are as good as any ... hopefully the ISP/IP owner closed to the open relay would be the folks to do something about it.

Ellen

In the past week, I have reported at the very least 7 to 10 spam to spamrelay[at]certcc.or.kr so it doesn't appear to me they give a rat's [expletive] about the open relay, and much less about wanting to do anything about it.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I should also point out that the majority of these spam appear to originate from [supposedly] seznam.cz and a small handful [supposedly] from t-online.de ...

Now just how the [expletive] they got my e-mail address, I will NEVER know, as it is generally my Yahoo address I give out to people and not my SC address.

Suggestions? Anyone? Bueller? Ferris??

abuse[at]pubnet.ne.kr

hachang[at]kt.co.kr

Ellen

In the past week, I have reported at the very least 7 to 10 spam to spamrelay[at]certcc.or.kr so it doesn't appear to me they give a rat's [expletive] about the open relay, and much less about wanting to do anything about it.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I should also point out that the majority of these spam appear to originate from [supposedly] seznam.cz and a small handful [supposedly] from t-online.de ...

Now just how the [expletive] they got my e-mail address, I will NEVER know, as it is generally my Yahoo address I give out to people and not my SC address.

Suggestions? Anyone? Bueller? Ferris??

Yes it is very simple. Run your own mail server and block all of korea and anyone else that sends spam.

Blocking all of Korea is a good suggestion.... At least for my personal spam, 85% of it comes from Korea or China. You can do it with SC's email service and other services as well. Maybe your ISP can help you?

• 5 months later...

When considering blocking Korea, please be aware that Bigfoot's mailservers are in Korea, and if you use Bigfoot you won't be getting your Bigfoot email any more if you block Korea. Thanks!

Archived