Newsgroup Confirmation Missing

I am subscribed to a newsgroup which sends a confirmation e-mail to the e-mail address you wish to use to receive newsgroup messages at. I just moved, so I needed to change my address. I tried using my spamcop.net address, and the address given by my new ISP. The newsgroup sent a confirmation e-mail to both of those addresses. Neither of these was received by me. What is going on?

I am subscribed to a newsgroup which sends a confirmation e-mail to the e-mail address you wish to use to receive newsgroup messages at.

Semantics perhaps ... but the word "newsgroups" implies NNTP which doesn't involve e-mail .... one might guess that you are describing a newsgroup that may offer a mail-list digest type of e-mail interaction or that you are actually talking about a mail-list type of information exchange .... specific data might be of some help ..???

I just moved, so I needed to change my address.  I tried using my spamcop.net address, and the address given by my new ISP.  The newsgroup sent a confirmation e-mail to both of those addresses. Neither of these was received by me. What is going on?

Exactly how do you 'know' that e-mail was sent (guessing that you may have seen a screen that 'said' e-mail was sent, but again that would be something seen on a web-page, not directly connected to the e-mail server .. something could have gone wrong there .... ot perhaps refistration e-mail are handled in a baych fashion, only going out on Mondays ...????

As Steven has suggested, due to a mryiad of reasons, this registration e-mail may have been seen as junk mail by the receiving servers and as such 'handled' in some other fashion than placing it into your InBox. Again, it is possible that a bit more detail might offer some clues.

• 3 weeks later...

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the "newsgroup" (whatever) sending a confirmation e-mail to accounts of mine that are not filtered by spamcop (i.e., netscape account). I can't get a confirmation either at my isp provider e-mail address, or at my spamcop.net account.

I contacted the site administrator. They confirmed that their system seemed to be working fine. Have tried over a dozen times over two months, so it is unlikely that I randomly hit problems on their end every time.

The e-mail address is required because you can request that e-mails of the message board postings be sent to your account. Plus, I am the owner/administrator of the board, so they send technical bulletins to me. Whether that is a "newsgroup" or whatever would be semantics in my book.

Canonically, newsgroups are either Usenet or something similar using the same software, and are transferred between news servers using the NNTP protocol or the older deprecated UUCP protocol. This, on the other hand, is a web-based Forum on one server that uses the HTTP protocol.

Whether that is a "newsgroup" or whatever would be semantics in my book.

Semantics in your book perhaps, but you are asking for some assistance. This means that all parties have to be talking the same language. NNTP has nothing to do with POP, SMTP, or HTTP ... so in trying to get the problem defined, the first step is to define the connection actually involved.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the "newsgroup" (whatever) sending a confirmation e-mail to accounts of mine that are not filtered by spamcop (i.e., netscape account).  I can't get a confirmation either at my isp provider e-mail address, or at my spamcop.net account. 

This appears to indicate that this isn't specifically a SpamCop issue. You state that the confirmation e-mail can arrive elsewhere (though not explained is how many of these confirmaiton e-mails you're playing with) .. If you actually have one available, then by all means, pass on some of the data involved in that e-mail. At this point, you've got everyone on this side of the screen working in the dark.

I contacted the site administrator.  They confirmed that their system seemed to be working fine. Have tried over a dozen times over two months, so it is unlikely that I randomly hit problems on their end every time. 

The e-mail address is required because you can request that e-mails of the message board postings be sent to your account. Plus, I am the owner/administrator of the board, so they send technical bulletins to me.

Yes, this Forum application has the same thing. But will also note that there are some issues with some folks receiving them also. As suggested aove, some ISPs place these notifications into their Junk/Bulk folders ... and an extension to that is to note a FAQ item dealing with some ISPs placing some oddball filtering into the mix that also deletes outgoing e-mail with no user notification .... Bottom line, if you really want some help here, you're going to have to provide some actual details and data.

Archived