Gmail's server blocked

PROGAME

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the details you posted.  Here's what I've gotten so far:

Your name is Julie Davis and maybe also Julie G.

You have the following accounts:

scribble[at]gmail.com  Received all tests; sent the first test

dictatablog.com  A domain you have parked for free with ActiveBytes Software LLC's freeparking.co.uk

test[at]dictatablog.com  An address at the above that forwards to scribble[at]gmail.com

neverwasadoor[at]googlemail.com  Sent the second test

eleanor.rigby[at]gmail.com  Sent the third test

Based on the above, it APPEARS that the messages are getting through to test[at]dictatablog.com (and therefore to scribble[at]gmail.com), but are just marked as "[*SUSPECTED spam*] Original Subject 13.1n Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?IP Address.

Please confirm.  Thanks!

35932[/snapback]

Yes, the above is all correct. In addition, after the initial 'suspected spam' message correctly forwarded to my scribble account - not much else will get through. For example, I just send three mails to test[at]dictatablog.com - from the same addresses I used this morning - 2 got through - 1 was treated normally, the second was given a 'suspected spam' message and the third (from my main 'scribble' account) did not get through. Over the past week I have sent a lot of test emails to the test[at]dictatablog.com address and only a few have got through, out of those, most have been tagged as spam.

Thanks, Julie

Edit: 2006/03/03 13:36 Jeff G. munged some data per Julie's request.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As only some of Gmail's Outgoing SMTP Servers were listed by the SCBL (and you got assigned one at random for each email you sent), it makes sense that only some of the email messages you sent would have gotten tagged.

Concerning the messages that "did not get through", did they disappear off the face of the earth? If you got bounces for any of them, please post at least one of the bounces, with full headers. Thanks!

Perhaps only the message body is blocked? Have you tested with a body?

As only some of Gmail's Outgoing SMTP Servers were listed by the SCBL (and you got assigned one at random for each email you sent), it makes sense that only some of the email messages you sent would have gotten tagged.

Concerning the messages that "did not get through", did they disappear off the face of the earth?  If you got bounces for any of them, please post at least one of the bounces, with full headers.  Thanks!

35935[/snapback]

I haven't done any tests with a body in. I'll do the same three accounts now, including a body and see what gets through.

The ones that didn't get through were sent but didn't arrive back via the forwarding. I received no bounce messages. It has been largely immediately following a message that comes through with 'suspected spam' on it that the next message will not get through.

Hope this makes some sense.

I haven't done any tests with a body in.  I'll do the same three accounts now, including a body and see what gets through.

The ones that didn't get through were sent but didn't arrive back via the forwarding.  I received no bounce messages.  It has been largely immediately following a message that comes through with 'suspected spam' on it that the next message will not get through.

Hope this makes some sense.

35936[/snapback]

OK - yes the bodies get through. All happened as before. One got through 'normally', the second got through with a 'suspected spam' message in the title and the third (again from scribble) didn't get through at all.

I have looked through the FAQ so don't get annoyed at me for asking for help.  I get to the page on the FAQ that offers help for this issue, click the link and the page doesn't load.  So there is no answer there for me, I have been trying all morning.

35904[/snapback]

I didn't read the appropriate part of the FAQ because the pages wouldn't load which is why I posted here.

35918[/snapback]

The issue of the "won't load" .... if you followed the Start here - before you make your first post link, you'd have seen a list of SpamCop FAQs available. The one identified as "Original/Official" is hosted on www.spamcop.net .... if you look at the graphic at the top of this page, that is an image hosted by a cesmail server (in Georgia) reflecting the output of some of the Parsing & Reporting systems in California .. coincidentally, the exact location of the www.spamcop.net server .... you'll note that blank spot showing, indicating that the www.spamcop.net part of the system was in fact down ....

The catch is that the next listed FAQ item is the one I created 'here' that incorporates the original FAQ. Yes, that also means that some link in that FAQ still point back to the www.spamcop.net server, so the "system is down" problem would still be an issue. The next item is one that I'm trying to build to hold all content in one place (here) but I'm having problems getting that accomplished.

So in this case, kudos for trying to do the research first. I'll offer apologies for the problems you ran into in trying to get to that data (though pointing out again that I have no access or control over www.spamcop.net servers beyond any other user's access) The "political" situation that currently exists is simply frustrating on so many levels, but that's a story told elsewhere ....

Bottom line, you say "all GMail e-mail is blocked by SpamCop" .... The SpamCopDNSBL actually blocks nothing, it is only a list of identified spam spew sources. That each and every GMail server is listed at the same time is a bit improbable, but .. as a user, you have no control as to which GMail server your e-mail goes out from .... the actual Blocking action is based on the receiving ISP's implementation of using BL resources and the results of a 'hit' from one of these BLs. Some use the BL information to "tag" the incoming e-mail, some use it to 'redirect' the incoming e-mail, some use it to 'reject' the incoming e-mail. That decision is that ISP's choice. Some ISPs will offer a whitelist capability to get around some of this filtering/blocking action, others don't. Again, this is that ISP's call. See the "credit reporting agency" analogy offered.

The issue of the "won't load" .... if you followed the Start here - before you make your first post link, you'd have seen a list of SpamCop FAQs available.  The one identified as "Original/Official" is hosted on www.spamcop.net .... if you look at the graphic at the top of this page, that is an image hosted by a cesmail server (in Georgia) reflecting the output of some of the Parsing & Reporting systems in California .. coincidentally, the exact location of the www.spamcop.net server .... you'll note that blank spot showing, indicating that the www.spamcop.net part of the system was in fact down ....

The catch is that the next listed FAQ item is the one I created 'here' that incorporates the original FAQ.  Yes, that also means that some link in that FAQ still point back to the www.spamcop.net server, so the "system is down" problem would still be an issue.  The next item is one that I'm trying to build to hold all content in one place (here) but I'm having problems getting that accomplished.

So in this case, kudos for trying to do the research first.  I'll offer apologies for the problems you ran into in trying to get to that data (though pointing out again that I have no access or control over www.spamcop.net servers beyond any other user's access)  The "political" situation that currently exists is simply frustrating on so many levels, but that's a story told elsewhere ....

Bottom line, you say "all GMail e-mail is blocked by SpamCop" .... The SpamCopDNSBL actually blocks nothing, it is only a list of identified spam spew sources.  That each and every GMail server is listed at the same time is a bit improbable, but .. as a user, you have no control as to which GMail server your e-mail goes out from .... the actual Blocking action is based on the receiving ISP's implementation of using BL resources and the results of a 'hit' from one of these BLs.  Some use the BL information to "tag" the incoming e-mail, some use it to 'redirect' the incoming e-mail, some use it to 'reject' the incoming e-mail.  That decision is that ISP's choice.  Some ISPs will offer a whitelist capability to get around some of this filtering/blocking action, others don't.  Again, this is that ISP's call.  See the "credit reporting agency" analogy offered.

35939[/snapback]

Thanks for appreciating that I did try the FAQs first. Sorry you are having political issues with access to the servers - you must feel like you are bashing your head against a wall and I know a little how you feel! I understand now that SpamCop is not doing the blocking or adding spam messages but that is my receiving ISP. They are rather quiet this afternoon having spent all week telling me it's nothing to do with them what SpamCop do.

I really think I have to change my email usage from Gmail which is a pain cos I've found it the best and easiest to use so far. I'm just annoyed that I'm sending an email to a URL that is also mine and a third-party is stopping it from arriving. A bit like posting yourself a letter using the Royal Mail and the postie nicking it en-route!

It sounds like you are starting to understand the situtation.

One other note is that from what you describe, it would appear that issues other than SpamCop are in play in your blocking situation.

First message: no spam tag

Sencod message: has spam tag

Third message: blocked

Does your ISP provide for whitelisting? If so when you receive that second message with the spam tag, you need to be sure to whitelist it.

I have a similar problem at work

I received several different quote letters from one of our primary vendors daily as we send out numerous requests daily.

The first is received with out any spam tag, the following are tag as spam. At least in my case I can control the blocking but not the tagging.

Note: another major problem we have here trying to help others is that many ISP's claim that a message is being blocked because of the SpamCop BL but in fact is is being blocked by one of the other lists / methods that are being used by them.

Julie,

Other than wrapping your http://dictatablog.moonfruit.com site (which is decidedly unfriendly to old browsers) and imperfectly forwarding your mail to your scribble account, what is freeparking doing for you?  Thanks!

35943[/snapback]

If you can't see the dictatablog site it's because I've set it that way currently as the site isn't completed yet. I can't blame Freeparking for that! Still, other than redirecting the URL and forwarding the mail (sometimes), there is nothing else it offers.

If you ask because you wonder why I host it there, the answer is that I have a fair few URLs hosted with them and that I currently can't afford to move them all.

I guess you get what you pay for!

It sounds like you are starting to understand the situtation.

One other note is that from what you describe, it would appear that issues other than SpamCop are in play in your blocking situation.

First message: no spam tag

Sencod message: has spam tag

Third message: blocked

Does your ISP provide for whitelisting?  If so when you receive that second message with the spam tag, you need to be sure to whitelist it.

I have a similar problem at work

I received several different quote letters from one of our primary vendors daily as we send out numerous requests daily.

The first is received with out any spam tag,  the following are tag as spam. At least in my case I can control the blocking but not the tagging.

Note: another major problem we have here trying to help others is that many ISP's claim that a message is being blocked because of the SpamCop BL but in fact is is being blocked by one of the other lists / methods that are being used by them.

35944[/snapback]

When you say my ISP, do you mean my personal computer's ISP? I'm not using Outlook or Firefox, I'm using the web-based version of Gmail. Not sure if I've caught your drift on that, sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

The people who I think are tagging and blocking my messages are the hosts of my URL, Freeparking. The problem with discussing the existance of any white lists with them is that if you submit a support request based on SpamCop then they say it has nothing to do with them and that I need to contact SpamCop.

My worry with the blocking/tagging is that if I continue to use my Gmail address, the situation could arrive where my mail is sent to others with 'suspected spam' in the title which just doesn't look professional on the one hand and might be deleted by the recipient if it doesn't look 'friendly'. I'm trying to set up a business and so it has a financial relevance...

Changing the subject,

Does anyone else have problems with screen resolution reading this topic.

Posts 1 thru 120 (the first 3 pages of posts) display normal (full screen width)

When going to page 4 (which start with post 121) the display changes to double wide and requires using the scroll bar to read each line.

Type size and shape remains the same, it is just streached out to twice its width including the menu bars at the top of the screen. Vertical resolution does not change at all, just horizontal resolution (note: may be the wrong term)

Restated, what would normally line wrap to 2 full lines of type is now displayed as a single line that must be scrolled to read.

Note: my screen resolution is 800 x 600

Going back to pages 1-3 everything is fine, going to page 4 it is not.

I have also noticed it before on a single page where the first several posts display correctly and all of a sudden the next post is much wider and must be scrolled.

Edit, note: that now this topic has moved to 5 pages, posts on pages 1,2,3,& 5 display fine. All posts on page 4 display double wide.

When you say my ISP, do you mean my personal computer's ISP

35948[/snapback]

ISP in this case would be any mailserver used to send, forward or received mail; since any of these can physically block, tag, or filter the mail that they process for you.

Note: my use of ISP was probably not the best choice of terms.

Edit, note: that now this topic has moved to 5 pages, posts on pages 1,2,3,& 5 display fine.  All posts on page 4 display double wide.

35950[/snapback]

Post #148 edited to break up some super long strings .... made a bit confusing as your page numbering sequence isn't default <g> (default showing this thing being 11 pages long at this point)

Post #148 edited to break up some super long strings .... made a bit confusing as your page numbering sequence isn't default <g> (default showing this thing being 11 pages long at this point)

35954[/snapback]

Thanks Wazoo, that solved the problem.

I thought that the page numbering might not be default, that is why I included the post number along with the page number for reference.

I'm using the web-based version of Gmail.

and unfortunately, that's the part that's causing the most problems, in that it is not providing the "real" source of the spam, thus ending up being "seen" as the source of the spew. I will note that some places refuse GMail simply based on the fact that it is a "free" e-mail account, thus not "worthy" of the recognition that a "bought/paid-for" e-mail address carries.

The problem with discussing the existance of any white lists with them is that if you submit a support request based on SpamCop then they say it has nothing to do with them and that I need to contact SpamCop.

And yet .... as you can see, those nasty folks at SpamCop.net don't play well with others <g> Per the analogy offered up of the credit reporting agency, there is data provided by the SpamCopDNSBL .. but the use of that data is up the the ISP involved ....

My worry with the blocking/tagging is that if I continue to use my Gmail address, the situation could arrive where my mail is sent to others with 'suspected spam' in the title which just doesn't look professional on the one hand and might be deleted by the recipient if it doesn't look 'friendly'.  I'm trying to set up a business and so it has a financial relevance...

35948[/snapback]

As above, that e-mail is coming from a GMail account already has that "questionable" appearance as far as "looking professional" .... That said, I've had e-mail from one of my GMail accounts to another SpamCop.net user blocked while tryng to sort out that user's issues with a SpamCop.net account, so it's not that your frustrations aren't appreciated.

dbiel, you appear to have fewer pages than I do. In My Controls / Board Settings, I have "Number of posts to show for each topic page" set to "Use forum default", which I think is 15, whereas you probably have that set to 40. In any case, the problem Post appears to be Linear Post #148, the problem being a super-long not-easily-wrappable "word" in the "DomainKey-Signature" that Gmail produced and Julie posted. In my Firefox 1.0.7, the identification of the problem Post was easiest when I scrolled right and then scrolled up and down looking for stuff stuck to the right margin; Firefox didn't wrap the line, but only went extra-wide for that one (long) Post. In my IE6, it wasn't a problem, as IE6 or Wazoo wrapped the line at one of the dashes (the second one in "content-transfer-encoding").

Edit: 35 changed to 40. Wazoo probably fixed the problem before I could look at it in IE6. :)

and unfortunately, that's the part that's causing the most problems, in that it is not providing the "real" source of the spam, thus ending up being "seen" as the source of the spew.  I will note that some places refuse GMail simply based on the fact that it is a "free" e-mail account, thus not "worthy" of the recognition that a "bought/paid-for" e-mail address carries.

And yet .... as you can see, those nasty folks at SpamCop.net don't play well with others <g>  Per the analogy offered up of the credit reporting agency, there is data provided by the SpamCopDNSBL .. but the use of that data is up the the ISP involved ....

As above, that e-mail is coming from a GMail account already has that "questionable" appearance as far as "looking professional" .... That said, I've had e-mail from one of my GMail accounts to another SpamCop.net user blocked while tryng to sort out that user's issues with a SpamCop.net account, so it's not that your frustrations aren't appreciated.

35956[/snapback]

I have a 'paid-up' account at Airpost.Net and I'll just use that in future. I'm worn-out!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I have a 'paid-up' account at Airpost.Net and I'll just use that in future.  I'm worn-out!

Thanks for all your help everyone.

35959[/snapback]

Julie, as you're in the uk (yes?) have you looked at PlusNet? I've been with them since 1997 and can't fault them. Cheaper than most too! (No interest other than as satisfied customer). I use them for all my out-going mail and AFAIK they've never been listed - very proactive when it comes to spammers. All my incoming mail I receive <advert> through the $30 a year SpamCop paid mail account which POPs all my other accounts and filters them </advert>

PS have you noticed how quickly you've gone from being a newbie to a member lol!

Julie, as you're in the uk (yes?) have you looked at PlusNet? I've been with them since 1997 and can't fault them. Cheaper than most too! (No interest other than as satisfied customer). I use them for all my out-going mail and AFAIK they've never been listed - very proactive when it comes to spammers. All my incoming mail I receive <advert> through the $30 a year SpamCop paid mail account which POPs all my other accounts and filters them </advert>

PS have you noticed how quickly you've gone from being a newbie to a member lol!

35962[/snapback]

Yes I'm in the UK...

Oh God, does being a member so soon mean I've been blethering on?! Don't answer that...

I'll have a look at PlusNet - thanks a lot for the heads-up.

Not blethering - just asking questions  :)

Andrew

36026[/snapback]

All is now sorted. I have ditched the old URL and set up a brand new one with Web Warehouse - all my email gets though without any problem and the support team are really helpful and polite. Blimey, a customer service team that do their job - shocker!

; )

• 2 months later...

Ok, apparently I missed this thread when I posted originally, my mistake.

Putting in my two cents, I think its rediculous to be blocking gmail because of abuse by a few users. That's like blocking Sprint because a few Sprint users spam.

I don't think any server admin will willingly block all GMail users using the spamcop list ( I know I wont), so the argument that it's improving the service by blocking spammers is wrong...it's hurting the service by making it unusable.

For some reason a Gmail server is being killfiltered by bl.spamcop.net. My mail server is blocking legitimiate mail from GMail users:

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:58: Session 1690; child 1; thread 768

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: Accepting SMTP connection from [66.249.92.200 : 58806]

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: --> 220 cyberdogtech.com ESMTP MDaemon 8.1.4; Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:09:57 -0500

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: <-- EHLO uproxy.gmail.com

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: --> 250-cyberdogtech.com Hello uproxy.gmail.com, pleased to meet you

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: --> 250-ETRN

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: --> 250-AUTH=LOGIN

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: --> 250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: --> 250-8BITMIME

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: --> 250-STARTTLS

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: --> 250 SIZE 0

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: Performing DNS-BL lookup (66.249.92.200 - connecting IP)

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:57: * relays.ordb.org - passed

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:58: * bl.spamcop.net - failed

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:58: * sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org - passed

Tue 2006-01-24 20:09:58: ---- End DNS-BL results

Surely gmail servers shouldn't be getting filtered in bulk??

Moderator Edit: Merged this "new" post into the existing Topic/Discussion on the same subject. PM sent to advise on Move/Merge action.

Post removed by original poster .... to include the Moderator Edit: note. Not a good thing .....

Data reposted to keep the flow of events intact.

Ok, apparently I missed this thread when I posted originally, my mistake.

As noted in SECTION 5 - Login & Navigation this Forum section is defaulted to only show the last 30 days of traffic .... though noting that a "Search" for GMail would have returned the dicussion / list of posts ....

Putting in my two cents, I think its rediculous to be blocking gmail because of abuse by a few users.  That's like blocking Sprint because a few Sprint users spam.

Per the information provided at What is the SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL)? one would have to carefully define the use of your words "a few users" .... try the math involved .... note also the information provided at SenderBase's "Magnitude" Explained to try to factor in some of the numbers involved.

I don't think any server admin will willingly block all GMail users using the spamcop list ( I know I wont), so the argument that it's improving the service by blocking spammers is wrong...it's hurting the service by making it unusable.

39658[/snapback]

As seen in the dozen pages you didn't take the time to read, Google has been advised several times of the issue, the problem, the solution .... and yet, here you are ....

Archived