Message too long

cacace

The number of spam messages I receive, that are too large for spamcop to process, is increasing. Fully half of the spam I received this week were rejected by spamcop as "Too Long" to report. I suspect spammers have figured out that only the most savvy spamcop user knows how to edit the message body and resubmit -- and still fewer take the time to bother.

Spamcop needs to to something to accept these large spam messages (perhaps auto-strip the text between HTML headers.

I wonder why my experience is so different? I just looked at the 75 items in my "Held Mail" folder, and all but 6 of them are under 10K. The remaining 6 range from 12 to 21K. There are worms that have large "payloads," and infected messages are the only ones that don't make it to my Held Mail (or Inbox). I wonder if your large messages are actually worms?

DT

And to provide more data points, I had 778 spam messages in my trash from the last 2+ days of which only 51 were larger than 10240 bytes.

Of those 51, there were 2 that I manually reported (the rest I quick report) with no problem using email forward from within webmail. Those 2 were 15K and 28K. I will get you the tracking URL's when I get home tonight if you want.

Did it anyway:

15k: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z756896289zfc...79616b71855831z

28k: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z756896294za9...35585b7d63fa35z

Perhaps there is some other problem you are hitting with these messages, which I think we have seen before, to cause this error.

I suspect spammers have figured out that only the most savvy spamcop user knows how to edit the message body and resubmit -- and still fewer take the time to bother.

This line bothers me as it is against spamcops rules to modify a spam in order to get it to report something it would not normally report. Editing the message body would fit that criteria as I see it. Now if you are using spamcop to help you determine where to send manual reports, that would be an allowable use of these modified messages. That is not how I am reading your message, however.

Archived