[Resolved] Discussion / Discussions

Jank1887

The forum location I see right now looks like this:

SpamCop Discussion > SpamCop Discussions > How to use .... > SpamCop Forum

The first two, although seemingly distinct, are identical. Any reason for this setup, and is there actually any affect from the two?

There used to be a difference, in which "SpamCop Discussion" contained "Announcements" as well as "SpamCop Discussions", but that difference has now disappeared. Admins, please consider moving all the subForums out of the "SpamCop Discussions" Forum and then eliminating the "SpamCop Discussions" Forum. Thanks!

SpamCop Discussion > SpamCop Discussions > New Feature Request

SpamCop Discussion is the "name" of the "board" ... also used within the e-mails sent out via this application, both in the headers and as part of the signature block.

SpamCop Discussions is the 'name' of the actual Forum 'area' (category in this app's jargon) As Jeff stated, when JT set this thing up, the Announcements section was a separate "category" (and would have been displayed as;

SpamCop Discussion > Announcements > Some other Title

There was also some white space between these two 'categories' .. which although highlighting the Announcements a bit more, also pushed the Discussions category appoximately two thirds of the screen down (on a 1024x768 screen)

New Feature Request is the 'name' of the Forum section, the title suggesting the subject matter of the contents

Somewhere down the line, JT gave me some access, there was some discussion on the 'order' of the Forum sections .... while changing things around, I brought the Announcements section/content down into the Discussions 'category' and eventually killed the now unused category of Announcemnts.

I've no idea what filtering, management, redirection, or controls are in place that might be looking for the "Discussion" part, so that's off-limits at this time ... the best I could offer may be (have to see where else this might show up) to change the 'category' name of "Discussions" ...?????

the best I could offer may be (have to see where else this might show up) to change the 'category' name of "Discussions" ...?????

27333[/snapback]

How would you feel about change the 'category' name of "Discussions" to "Categories" (in keeping with the terminology you used above) or "Forums" ((or perhaps "Fora" for the Latin scholars), in keeping with JT's DNS name and other terminology you've been using)?

In those strange hours while experiencing that "I'm awake ... I think" mode, things like Choose your medicine ran through my mind .... but recalled Don asking a while back about a change in the outgoing e-mails, suggesting that the current data didn't quite have that 'professionl' ring to it ..??

I also remember the fallout when I put a 'Happy Holidays' wish in there ... some PM notifications reported as spam for instance ... (which is probably when Don made that request, trying to handle those bad reports)

• 2 weeks later...

More than half of Monday gone .. only one (public) reference to some added display links, no suggestions as to which ones should stay, nothing on the rename .... were the changes really that stealthy? <g>

More than half of Monday gone .. only one (public) reference to some added display links, no suggestions as to which ones should stay, nothing on the rename .... were the changes really that stealthy? <g>

27814[/snapback]

OK...you asked for it ;)

The links in the header should open in new windows like the rest of the site does. I would also like a link to webmail, but since not everyone here uses webmail, that is a judgement call. (This is supposed to be the primary forum for webmail support... wink wink )

I hate the 2 sub-groups in the Lounge but see where they could be useful. I just have a hard time moving up and down the page now to get to the generic stuff below the sub-groups AND the pinned items. Don't have a suggestion for making it better, though, as 3 sub-groups could be harder to figure out where things should go.

I agree .. the sub-forum thing doesn't work well.  On the other hand, is it time to bring the Topic http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1672 back into view?  Once upon a time, Wazoo had this area addressed, but .....

27828[/snapback]

...Looks to me as if everything there relating to the fora has been addressed. Were you thinking of something specific?

The links in the header should open in new windows like the rest of the site does.

Shouldn't take but a bit of tinkering ... later tonight perhaps ...

I would also like a link to webmail, but since not everyone here uses webmail, that is a judgement call.  (This is supposed to be the primary forum for webmail support... wink wink )

Secure or non-secure ... how to identify which is which .. in the additional top bar of in the one under the "spamcop.net" graphic? (after figuring out where the lower data set was, thinking that the top bar could disappear again..??)

I hate the 2 sub-groups in the Lounge but see where they could be useful.  I just have a hard time moving up and down the page now to get to the generic stuff below the sub-groups AND the pinned items.  Don't have a suggestion for making it better, though, as 3 sub-groups could be harder to figure out where things should go.

I agree with the "gets in the way" ... was almost to the point of moving them into a 'new' forum section, then got to contemplating about what to name it ... that got into what other 'categories' should be added ... then got into a bit of e-mail going back and forth with Don, back over to the IPB Forum to see if there was any update there on what turned out to be the same subject I'd been involved with over there with some other IPB admin/users (see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4129 ) ... ended up closing the "edit this Forum) set of windows down ....

In that ancient Topic, I had suggested Geek/Tech Things and also a Suggested Tools and Applications ... might have cut off this last set of complaints (maybe not?) ... Suggestions on a 'new' location for this stuff?

Did the change to "SpamCop Discussion" resolve anything?

Amazing .... let's start with this newsgroup bit ;

In article <d5oedj$tu$1[at]news.spamcop.net>,

"WazoO" wrote:

> "Russell" wrote in message

> news:mailman.149.1115666344.4572.spamcop-list[at]news.spamcop.net...

> > Any hope of supporting SSH authentication for the spamcop POP server

> > (for subscription email users)? I realize that by not support SMTP you

> > take care of the problem of spammers posing as me sending email, but

> > it's still seems a needless security risk to know that others could

> > trivially get my email.

>

> On another foray to drag yet another user to the SpamCop e-mail

> support areas .... try the spamcop.mail newsgroup (so little traffic

> it was asked recently if it really existed) or head over to the Forum.

> Don't know how you are logging in now, but for a bit of an indirect

> answer, see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=10197

> that discussion also includes a link to a Jeff G. entry about setting

> things up at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=152

That's great!

For anyone else who was wondering. the first link says spamcop pop

supports SSL. And indeed it does. Once I told Eudora to use the

alternate port SSL started working.

Regarding the 2nd link (about setting things up), I did not see anything

about SSL. It'd be nice if SSL info was added to the standard "how to

set things up" page.

I have subscribed to the email group and will ask there about such

things in the future. Thanks for the tip.

-- Russell

#1 - happy user

#2 - data worked

#3 - new FAQ entry needed

#4 - went to that same post to pull data for suggested/requested links ....

found some bad data <g>

........ http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=152

........ JeffG Feb 1 2004, 12:34 AM

........ https://webmails.spamcop.net/

???? folks that used it figured it out and marched on? folks that tried the link gave up, too embarrassed ro complain? only the select few know about this at all and got the link elsewhere? Over a year old and no one has suggested that the extra "s" results in a 404?

OK, links in place, tested to the login page of both webmail access types .... an entry in the "How to use ..." Forum to explain the difference between the actions of each set of links and justify leaving them both in place .... Forum sections created ... re-sorted a bit ....

Pulled the Pinned FAQ entry out of the Announcements section .... not sure about adding that link to these new sections, going that they step out of the SpamCop arena a bit ... (still need to write up that defining entry for them, obviously to try to cover the complaints raised over the type/content of posts that got some of this started)

Already changed it .... I had the link "Secure Webmail" ... looked at it a couple of times, thought a while, changed it to read "SSL Webmail" .. in light of the current news item of the lady and her impending lawsuit against Circuit City ... of course, now I suppose I need to add an entry to explain SSL <g>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived