Okay, I'm an idiot (held mail?)

I've got POP working and it seems like spam has decreased slightly, but when I check my spamcop.net HELD MAIL folder to review the messages spamcop has identified as spam (that's the purpose of this folder, right?) I see no messages. If that's not the right place to look for mail ID'd as spam, where am I supposed to look?

Thanks!

-- Paul

Moved here because you posted in the FAQ work area.

I've got POP working and it seems like spam has decreased slightly, but when I check my spamcop.net HELD MAIL folder to review the messages spamcop has identified as spam (that's the purpose of this folder, right?) I see no messages. If that's not the right place to look for mail ID'd as spam, where am I supposed to look?

27450[/snapback]

You are loking in the right place. Are you getting any messages in? Does the service you are collecting from move messages away from the inbox there? POP usually only collects from the default mailbox.

Thanks!

-- Paul

27450[/snapback]

There is a set-up FAQ (click here)

Very basically

aside from POP'ing email using "pop.spamcop.net" on your email client (If you wish to use IMAP you can also use "imap.spamcop.net" most use both but only have their email client check pop. IMAP can be used to drag email to your heldfolder If you drag all those emails you wish to your Very Easy to Report (VER) folder; On the "Select Action" scroll box after checking the boxes with the contacts you wish to whitelist scroll to "Forward (and whitelist Sender)"

You also need to Set-up your blacklist checking all the blacklist boxes for full security or uncheck some that you find "troublesome" Do not check the box "Block All" or "Tag Only" (these are another control you may use but you have to work out what they do)

Hope this is a help

(you should also use a Alphanumeric password from a 8 character to no more than 30 for a SpamCop email account. The more alpnumerals you use the more secure your mail will be For instance a 15 alphanumeric Password is 120 bits secure Banks use 128 bits. I highley recommend using a "password saver" from a USB Drive)

If you don't think the SpamCop Email System is catching enough of your spam, please look at the X-spam* Header Lines of the spam that has been slipping through, with an eye to reducing somewhat your SpamAssassin Limit (which defaults to 5). Of course, the lower your SpamAssassin Limit, the more attention you will have to pay to your Held Mail mailbox/Folder in order to ensure that you do not report messages that are not spam.

Archived