It's legal to publish an email list?

Pablo

Hi,

I have a question, I saw this site http://www.winyourwager.com/ and at the very bottom where it saids "[ Layout and material © 2000-2005 Win Your Wager.com - All rights reserved. ] " the last ".]" it's a link to this page

http://www.winyourwager.com/email_list.html

Where it contains a big list of emails, is this legal? It's not like an invitation for spam robots?

Hi,

I have a question, I saw this site http://www.winyourwager.com/ and at the very bottom where it saids "[ Layout and material © 2000-2005 Win Your Wager.com - All rights reserved. ] " the last ".]" it's a link to this page

http://www.winyourwager.com/email_list.html

Where it contains a big list of emails, is this legal? It's not like an invitation for spam robots?

27860[/snapback]

...Hi, Pablo!

...IANAL. That said, I would think that one consideration would be, legal where? Different jurisdictions may have different (or no) laws regarding this. A second consideration would be, who "owns" those e-mail addresses? For example, my employer "owns" the e-mail address provided to me on my employer's e-mail server.

IANAL

to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing at all illegal about listing a bunch of email addresses on a web page. This can be different if you are contractually obligated to avoid doing so, for one reason or another. But in general, it's dumb, but probably perfectly legal.

IANAL

to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing at all illegal about listing a bunch of email addresses on a web page. This can be different if you are contractually obligated to avoid doing so, for one reason or another.  But in general, it's dumb, but probably perfectly legal.

27862[/snapback]

...IIUC, it is illegal in Germany and Austria to publish personal information, including e-mail addresses, of Germans and Austrians (as a general rule; there may be exceptions). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are other jurisdictions which have similar laws.

Pablo at first I didn't see the list. Had to go to the sourse code to see why. From what I saw you must be using IE for a browser.

The list is not what I would have expected. only 3 aol and 1 Hotmail address. makes you wonder who is on the list. as for legal, I only play a lawyer on the web but, looks like half a phonebook to me, (a list of phone numbers, no names). There are much worse list of information on the net. Now being listed on this web page may not be something you would want to share with your counsolar at GAA. :ph34r:

Actually did a safe-browse of the code there ... in contrast to Lkin's results, my text buffer filled up, only managing to display address (in an HTML Tables layout bit of coding) from Aaccfdog3 to Alexandrina ..... but what may have been overlooked by Lking was the line;

<!-- spam Revenge Page created from free tools found at www.saroff.com -->

Looks like a silly attempt to place the e-mail addresses found in the From: lines of received spam on the page to allow for the scraping by other even sillier spammers .... a waste of time if that's the intended purpose, a waste of drive space/bandwidth for any other purpose ... the question of just how many of those addresses might actually be valid ...??? who knows ..???? (not enough data received to see phone nubers)

Good eye Wazoo. I did miss that line. My java is weak so I should of thought of looking at the comment lines. My experience looking at other's code is a counter example to expecting to find much. ta ta.

To be honest, I've used many a spam as a tutorial for beginning web page builders .. there's actually a lot of knowledge to be gained from some of those wicked attempts at browser manipulations ...

Archived