[Resolved] cancel a mistaken report

chriswp

Hello !

If didn't find any way to cancel a bad report.

In case of mistake, is there a procedure to cancel a report ?

I didn't see that possibility in the list of Past Reports.

I think that is necessary !

Personaly I receive 10 spams a day, and as I'm only a normal human being it is obvious I can't avoid mistakes sometimes. Don't you ?

If somebody has advise, any would be welcome.

Thanks

Post is being moved out of the "How to Use..." Forum, back over to the "Report Help" Forum section ... Checking the Forum FAQ, you would find an entry titled "How to Unsend a Report" .. Unfortunately, this is an all too often Frequently Asked Question ....

Well, the FAQ tells "You should manually send a retraction and apology to those to whom you reported the spam".

I think it would be more "user friendly" and more efficient to add an option in the report history in order to cancel a report, considering that is a major function.

I remarked also strange things in the reports. Although the FAQ of SpamCop tells we can check or uncheck IP or web adress at the bottom of the report before submitting it, I never saw any check feature.

In general, although I believe SpamCop is very usefull, it lacks options to manage the reports: delete them in a list, check or uncheck spam senders (IP, web, mail adress), cancel report (of course), and probably many other things.

For now, the system is very automatic, but not offer much possibilities of action.

I don't even find clearly an easy way to contact the team of SpamCop. (Only in the forum ?).

In that matter, I think it is too much complex and slow to cancel a report.

I guess it is probably an origin of many errors, and many erroneous additions to the database.

Which site are you using, www.spamcop.net (cookie-based free reporting), members.spamcop.net (paid and login-based free reporting), or mailsc.spamcop.net (Mail System included reporting)? Thanks!

Well, the FAQ tells "You should manually send a retraction and apology to those to whom you reported the spam".

I think it would be more "user friendly" and more efficient to add an option in the report history in order to cancel a report, considering that is a major function.

28137[/snapback]

As mentioned in the FAQ, an email can not be "unsent" which is why it is very important for each reporter to check where THEIR reports are going. If you make a mistake, it is up to YOU to correct it. IMO, Spamcop does not want to make it easy to fix your mistake because there will be that much less reason to check your work the first time.

I remarked also strange things in the reports. Although the FAQ of SpamCop tells we can check or uncheck IP or web adress at the bottom of the report before submitting it, I never saw any check feature.

28137[/snapback]

Are you using the Copy/paste box to submit your spam? Are you emailing to your submit.* address? Are you emailing to your quick.* address? The first 2 options, if used properly, will present a set of check boxes to indicate which reports should be sent. Quick reporting only notified the ISP of the source and does not have that feature (which makes it quick, but also dangerous unless used carefully).

In general, although I believe SpamCop is very usefull, it lacks options to manage the reports: delete them in a list, check or uncheck spam senders (IP, web, mail adress), cancel report (of course), and probably many other things.

For now, the system is very automatic, but not offer much possibilities of action.

28137[/snapback]

OK, you lost me here....there are no reports until you actually send them and you wuld never delete reports because then the person receiving the report could not see or act on it.

It sounds like you are talking about managing your submissions. If so, many of your suggestions have been made before. The only conclusion we can come up with here is that these things are not as simple as they might appear and since only one person has access to the code (and he is not talking), that is where it is left.

If my assumption is wrong, please explain exactly, including URL's of pages you are describing, what you want to see. The main process is you receive a spam, you submit it to the parser in some way, it is parsed and you are presented with the check marks for reporting, you click to either send the report or cancel the report.

I don't even find clearly an easy way to contact the team of SpamCop. (Only in the forum ?).

28137[/snapback]

The primary mode of support here is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. (please remember this at all times!)

In that matter, I think it is too much complex and slow to cancel a report.

I guess it is probably an origin of many errors, and many erroneous additions to the database.

28137[/snapback]

USERS need to be more careful where THEY are sending THEIR spam reports. Spamcop is a tool to assist in the reporting, the user is still sending the report.

I have reported close to 200 spam/day for the last 2.5 years and have retracted about 5 reports. Only one was brought to my attention by the recipient of the report. All others were caught by me by reviewing the reports or other checks I do.

Archived