Configuring mailhost decreasing spam?

From what I read on the forum, I'm a rare SpamCop reporter who's actually seen a decrease in spam.

I'm assuming the general decrease over the years has been because I've been washed from many lists after reporting for so long. But until I registered my mailhosts a few weeks ago, I was still getting one or two a day in each of several e-mail accounts consistently for about the last year and a half.

Since I've set up the mailhosts, however, I'm averaging somewhere close to one spam a day over ALL of my accounts put together - maybe even less!

Now, obviously I'm not complaining. But I don't know much about SpamCop's mailhost configuration project and I am curious:

Is it at all possible that registering my mailhosts somehow provided spammers some sort of additional opportunity to listwash me that they didn't have previously? Or is it more likely that the timing of my significant spam decrease was purely coincidental?

Thanks,

DCSmooth

From what I read on the forum, I'm a rare SpamCop reporter who's actually seen a decrease in spam.

28593[/snapback]

...Congrats! You are, indeed, one of the fortunate ones (or your e-mail provider is using the SpamCop BL to keep spam out).
<snip>

Since I've set up the mailhosts, however, I'm  averaging somewhere close to  one spam a day over ALL of my accounts put together - maybe even less!

Now, obviously I'm not complaining.  But I don't know much about SpamCop's mailhost configuration project and I am curious:

Is it at all possible that registering my mailhosts somehow provided spammers some sort of additional opportunity to listwash me that they didn't have previously?  Or is it more likely that the timing of my significant spam decrease was purely coincidental?

28593[/snapback]

...If I understand the SpamCop MailHosts configuration (which is not at all guaranteed) from what I've read, it's entirely coincidental. All the MailHosts configuration does is store some data accessible only to the SpamCop parser.

But if that caused the Parser to send the reports to the correct address (a vigilant ISP vs. the incorrect address it's been sending to all along), that could help explain the reduction in spam received.

Archived