registering new mail server(s)

Hi,

I've tried to register three email servers for my account, two of them went fine but the third one, although registered, also has 12 host/domains associated with it (of which three are mine) and six IP's of which only one is mine!

Any ideas as to why and more importantly how to remove those that are not associated with the email address?

TIA

I believe that this behavior is completely normal. There is no need to remove the additional IPs and hosts. I have extra hosts and IPs for ALL my accounts, but it has never caused a problem.

What's important is that your spam is parsed properly so that the notice is sent to the abuse contact for the system from which the machine(s) in your mailhost configuration received the spam.

swingspacers answer is completely correct.

The reason for the additional hosts and IP's is that the mailhost configruation is shared and "your" hostname and "your" IP address are probably pointing to a shared box that resolves to a common name or IP. For instance your host name resolves to your IP address but your IP address resolves to another name (the actual box name). Other customers on that box have similar configs so they are all shared.

The reason for the additional hosts and IP's is that the mailhost configruation is shared and "your" hostname and "your" IP address are probably pointing to a shared box that resolves to a common name or IP.

Stephen,

I can understand the logic in your reply but... in this case the box is actually sitting in the corner of this room and isn't shared.

I'm in the UK and one of the domains/IP's is a company in Hong Kong! and on totally different subnets

- ian

I can understand the logic in your reply but... in this case the box is actually sitting in the corner of this room and isn't shared.

I'm in the UK and one of the domains/IP's is a company in Hong Kong! and on totally different subnets

28843[/snapback]

In this case, please bring the information to the attention of deputies<at>spamcop.net and indicate mailhost problem in the subject along with all the relevant information so they can look at it. They are the only ones who can modify the mailhost configs.

Good luck

Archived