Increase in spam out of google lately. Anyone know why?

hi all,

Ok, I have several email accounts but one in particular I use specifically for things likely to harvest me and spam me to death.  It's always been my "disposable" account (on yahoo) but so far Yahoo has done a pretty fair job of separating junk from email, AND I haven't had much spam.  A few a day, if that.

BUT lately, just about EVERY piece after running through spamcop shows up as google as the source. 

Does google even care about spamcop complaints?  Cause they sure don't care about user complaints directly, (about ANYTHING.)

If filing spamcop complaints does any good at all I will continue.  But if there is no point, perhaps just deleting would be easier.  If this won't stop, or slow it down, what's the point?

1 hour ago, ArtmakersWorlds said:

Does google even care about spamcop complaints? 

Google free service would rely  only automation, it is very good at sorting spam from ham
If you log onto their webmail and mark all your spam as phishing it is acted upon.
Each spam complaint would cost around $50 for a abuse team to work on, but I do believe abuse reports are gone over by Google
I rarely get spam in my Gmail account

Edited by petzl

14 hours ago, ArtmakersWorlds said:

Does google even care about spamcop complaints?  Cause they sure don't care about user complaints directly, (about ANYTHING.)

From my experience, google seems to better to external people than to their own users.  From the spam I reported that came from the google cloud, it seems mine stopped in about two weeks.  Sure is much faster than amazon's two months...

First off, I do NOT use Gmail.   Oh I have an account but only to use youtube.  I do almost all my email on yahoo.   And this is fairly recent, the uptick in spam coming from google. 

If I forward it directly to google, IF I get a reply at all, it's usually some long winded techno thing on how it didn't come from them, they are only a service... yada yada.  

My point here is why all of a sudden?   Yahoo (even my spam bait account) was down to only a few spam messages a week.  And usually from any number of sources. 

Now?   ALL GOOGLE and some 9 or more a day.  Almost all with similar messages.  Something medical.  Burn fat, keto diet, pills.... like that.  I got on someones spam list and that spammer just happens to be abusing google.  I would hope after they got enough complaints they might track it down.

Or not.  Frankly I think google got too big to care about anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 3:31 PM, ArtmakersWorlds said:

BUT lately, just about EVERY piece after running through spamcop shows up as google as the source. 

I had a spammer try to use the google cloud, but they sent it to my spamtrap.  Mysteriously everything got reported and they appears to be kicked off the google cloud.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, ArtmakersWorlds said:

Now?   ALL GOOGLE and some 9 or more a day.  Almost all with similar messages.  Something medical.  Burn fat, keto diet, pills.... like that.  I got on someones spam list and that spammer just happens to be abusing google.  I would hope after they got enough complaints they might track it down.

My guess is if we keep up reporting it, the spammers will give up on using google's systems.  The speed of reporting seems to have a great effect on causing the spammers to no longer want to waste their time setting up a google cloud server.

I report it all assuming I check within 2 days of it showing up.   That account in question I don't always.   But yea, report it all.  If everyone did this it would stop so much faster.

Thanks again for spamcop.  best service out there.

4 hours ago, ArtmakersWorlds said:

I report it all assuming I check within 2 days of it showing up.   That account in question I don't always.   But yea, report it all.  If everyone did this it would stop so much faster.

Thanks again for spamcop.  best service out there.

Gmail/other throwaway accounts, need to confirm email accounts say a week later aside from their auto-ack and remove anything in their "cloud accounts"
I keep reporting these criminals to gmail with this "addy", who keep attacking although now slowly

Criminal  phishing, bogus reply address, bogus unsubscribe
This/my email address I believe sold to this Russian (?) Crime gang by FaceBook

Edited by petzl

On 3/20/2020 at 8:29 PM, petzl said:

Gmail/other throwaway accounts, need to confirm email accounts say a week later aside from their auto-ack and remove anything in their "cloud accounts"

The problem with the week delay will be a similar reason why people complain about being on the blocking list.  Spammers will use it to somehow deny real legitimate customers access.  There will be some fine line somewhere where they could get it to work, but I don't know where that line is.  It is interesting that spamassassin has three sections, not spam, spam, and an overlapping area.  As a real person, I wouldn't want to wait a week but I do agree that spammers should wait.  (But then with enough money, the spammers would probably sign up as a business and they would probably bypass the delay.)

My spam has been increasing.  From yesterday to today, doubled!  And so far ALL coming from google.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 12:03 PM, ArtmakersWorlds said:

My spam has been increasing.  From yesterday to today, doubled!  And so far ALL coming from google.

I think my reports were successful.  All my spam coming from the google cloud seems to have stopped.

Not mine.  Not a bit.  Got ONE yesterday that was not from google.  NINE that were.  I don't think google even looks at spamcop complaints.

But... I will keep reporting anyway.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:49 AM, ArtmakersWorlds said:

Not mine.  Not a bit.  Got ONE yesterday that was not from google.  NINE that were.  I don't think google even looks at spamcop complaints.

But... I will keep reporting anyway.

Did it stop?

There is a spammer who uses Google Cloud Storage to spew out affiliate spam. Keto, loans, warranty, medical...

It takes over a week, maybe ten days before they shutdown his account unfortunately.  Then he just switches mode of operation to another method.

Here’s his last campaign links list. The html is a redirect of course. The image links were his departure from using a redirect or direct link to imgur.com content, a direct IP addressed machine (or other image hosting  provider)

The man behind this is a complete (expletive)

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/Unsub.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/unsubscribe.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/unsubscribe.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/health.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/health1.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/health2.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/okwatt.html

amlfk/okowatt.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/okowattunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/getinstahard.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/insta.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/instaunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/instahard.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/instahrdd.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/insahardunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/refratequide.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/maxloan.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/rexmd1.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/rexmd2.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/rexmd.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/montezuma.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/montezuma1.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/montezuma2.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/fastcharging.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/fastchargring.jpg

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/fastunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/healnsooth.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/healnsooth.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/healunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/tetssdfff/index%20CBD%20GUMMIES%20COMCAST.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/ketoboost.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/ketoboost.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/ketoboostunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/bluesky.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/engagedketo.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/engagedketounsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/HOMEWARANTYSERVICES.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/homeservicesunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/cbdT.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/cbdT2.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/cbdT1.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/refi.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/REFIREFI.jpg

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/refubsub2.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/cbdgummies.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/CBDGUMM.jpg 

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/CBDUNSUB.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/smatfinancial.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/Smartfinancial.jpg

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/smartfinancialunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/ketozin.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/ketozin.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/ketozinunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/instahard.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/insahardunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/safe1.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/safe.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/safe2.png

https://storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/Life.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/Life1.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/Life2.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/HomePro.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/HomrPro2.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/HomePro1.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/scrores.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/scoresunssss.PNG

https://storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/scroesbody.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/russian.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/russian1.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/russian2.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/conceal.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/conceal1.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/conceal2.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/automotive.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/automotive.html

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/automotiveunsbs.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/Aloehand.html

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/Aloehand1.png

storage.googleapis.com/emarket111/2.png

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/shadowbox.html

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/shadowbox.png

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/unsubscribe.html

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/shadowboxunsub.png

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/engaged_keto.html

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/engagedketounsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/instahrd.png

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/instahard.html

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/inshardunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/cbdgummies.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/cbdgummiesunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/CBD_Gummies.html

https://storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/conceledunsub.png

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/Conceled.html

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/conceled.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/ketozin.html

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/ketozinunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/ketozin.png

storage.googleapis.com/amlfk/scrores.html

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/cbdoil.jpg

https://storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/cbdoiunsub.PNG

storage.googleapis.com/idrivec/CBD_OIL.html

No, got a keto note today.   Only one though.  So perhaps something got shut down.

I really wish instead of just deleting the users account someone would go after them legally.

Among all the sales crap I regularly get paypal or apple phishing scams.  THOSE I send directly to paypal or apple spoof at. 

These spammers really need to be rotting in jail for attempting to rob people.

15 hours ago, Hanco said:

It takes over a week, maybe ten days before they shutdown his account unfortunately.  Then he just switches mode of operation to another method.

That time can be damaging.  Amazon is four days and I think theirs is too long.   By the time a week goes by a spammer could have already moved on anyway, so the account could be abandoned by the time they shut it down.

9 hours ago, ArtmakersWorlds said:

I really wish instead of just deleting the users account someone would go after them legally.

For me, I would make it no longer economically viable.  If I could speed up the disable process, then the captcha alone would deter them.  It may be they figured out who I was and dropped me off their list, but not likely.  Probably what is more likely is mine was different spammer.

Looks like they are striking back with a new set of links for me.  (Google is not the source of the email, but the links inside point there.)  I am starting to see a number of links in the body where one of the following domains appears multiple times with a different four character alpha numeric code.

https://kolw.page.link/4_digit_alpha_numeric
https://lopw.page.link/4_digit_alpha_numeric
https://johr.page.link/4_digit_alpha_numeric

I will see how long it takes to for google to respond.  With each message containing 10+ unique links it would appear that they can sign up faster than we would ever be able to shut them down.

• 3 weeks later...

I get them EVERY DAY.  Sometimes, like today only one.   Other times 9 or more.

Disturbingly it seems quite a pick up in either paypal or apple phishing scams too.  THOSE I forward directly to their spoof at address as well as spamcop.

Until the next batch rolls in.

I really wish someone would come up with a way of bouncing spam right back to who ever sent it.   And if it's not bounceable?  say some wanky forged return address?  Then it's not deliverable either.   Never would get any if this were the case.

2 hours ago, ArtmakersWorlds said:

I really wish someone would come up with a way of bouncing spam right back to who ever sent it.   And if it's not bounceable?  say some wanky forged return address?  Then it's not deliverable either.   Never would get any if this were the case.

I use exim and spamassassin for that bouncing spam during the SMTP connection.  Once an email is sent on the SMTP communication it is scanned by spamassassin and if good, the SMTP accept command is sent.  This way, the sending server has to deal with the spam.  If the sending server wrongfully accept to relay the email and didn't verify the address, then it will be bounced to the server admin so they can fix the hole.

I have heard of spamassassin.

Ok, NOT being a computer tech here, how would I use spamassassin with yahoo email on a mac computer.   If that's even possible? I think it's not. 

Tried looking up spamassassin's site but all I can see is using some "gloc app" or something like that.

Again, COMPUTER.   I NEVER do email on my phone.  Aren't "apps" for the phone?

See?  NOT a techno geek here. Please explain this like your talking to your grandma ok? 

Ok, NOT being a computer tech here, how would I use spamassassin with yahoo email on a mac computer.   If that's even possible? I think it's not. 

Will not be possible with yahoo.  Hmmm, spamassassin plugs into the border email server.  I know with my yahoo account they don't do much good for spam filtering.  I think yahoo's only option is to block email address, but I am not sure the asterisk is working for me.  This is why I went with my own domain and email server so I could do better filtering.

See?  NOT a techno geek here. Please explain this like your talking to your grandma ok? 

Lets see if this helps.  Spamassassin is a computer application that integrates with the email server for parsing spam at the time it is being received.  For example, someone using a hotmail account could send email to my email account.  My email server and spamassassin check the email for spamminess and either will accept or reject it.  This happens while hotmail still has a connection to my server still open.  The rejection notice will come from hotmail's servers as it is will not be able to send.

As near as I can tell yahoo does not do any spam filtering, just address blocking.  The filters only seem to be able to move spam to non-spam folders.

Yea well.... not sure you want a saga here, but I HAD email with my domain name.  Probably still could if I wanted.  And I tried using a form, captcha (which I hate btw) BOTH got hacked. Repeatedly.

And I got in trouble after sending through spamcop because somehow it went to my domain host.  Once that was made known to me I just let it go.

Finally for my website what works, though I know is inconvenient,  I just uploaded an image of my email address.  People have to type it into their email.  Yea it's a pain but it put a stop to spambots.

I don't want to use my computers email since I am seldom on the same computer.  Yahoo I can access anywhere.

First email I ever had was on hotmail.  (Still have it too.)  But over the years they changed for the worst more and more... I check in about once a year just to keep it as a back up but I don't use it.

One day, while I was communicating with a customer no less, hotmail went down.  I quickly set up shop on yahoo.  And like everything, every "up" grade is actually a downgrade.   I use the oldest "classic" version I can. Keep it simple.

Now you probably haven't used yahoo in a long time.   They don't have the option to block emails anymore.  Not that it ever did any good since spammers just make up new ones.

All they have is a "mark it as spam" and it lands on a spam folder.  That's it.  And with their last "up yours grade" the spam folder no longer even shows me if new messages came in unless I go look.  And I have to because good messages land in there all the time.

BUT... so far, yahoo is still way better than hotmail (or mail.com, got one there too. They are the worst.)

On a bad day I might get a dozen spam messages.  Yesterday I only got one.  So over all tolerable.  This is kinda like summer.  You'll never be rid of mosquitoes.  Just keep swatting.

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, gnarlymarley said:

That time can be damaging.  Amazon is four days and I think theirs is too long.   By the time a week goes by a spammer could have already moved on anyway, so the account could be abandoned by the time they shut it down.

For me, I would make it no longer economically viable.  If I could speed up the disable process, then the captcha alone would deter them.  It may be they figured out who I was and dropped me off their list, but not likely.  Probably what is more likely is mine was different spammer.

Yes it takes too long, and my spammer guy is organized just enough that the providers struggle to keep up. 

Not sure if I mentioned but I got his name and address! I emailed him and got no response. It was read though.

Since he ignores unsubscribe requests, I’ve taken to using BBB to formally complain to his spamvertized companies. The LLC/Inc groups usually respond, though not always. The genuine businesses with a brand of consumer value reply, while the others that are dubious morally or have a BBB rating in the gutter already are half hearted in their response efforts or don’t even write back. Reminds me, I have one detailed complaint to send to an attorney general.

Two “affiliate programs” this year contacted back through BBB providing their contact details and we had very positive interactions.Neither seemed to like the spammer very much and they said they don’t work with him any longer. After agreeing in writing not to reveal these guys as the source, they gave me his name, address, and contact details.

They advised they didn’t think he will care much about my request to get off his list. They were not wrong. Some reduction seen definitely, but every so often he’s active.

Recently it’s been SendGrid.net as his mode of operation. Just one topic/spam email at a time, and using twitter for spam image content delivery.

Of course SpamCop does not send reports to SendGrid (why not?) and does not report to Twitter.

spam dates: 29 May, 3 Jun, 6 Jun, 11 Jun, 17 Jun (twice), 19 June

Separately, noticed a significant uptick in 419 Scammer emails. They often have a US phone number on them so I report the number to the FTC. I also call it (my number withheld) and if it sounds like the guy was asleep I repeat every few minutes at my leisure, put on a voice, ask stupid questions, generally really waste their time. I might be a sadist in this respect...I don’t feel at all guilty about doing it 😂

Wow  you spent more time on this than I ever would.  I really wish I could personally meet a spammer.  I'd come armed with rusty pliers and aim for the groin.  Well I can dream can't I?

Not to go too far off topic here, but this is REALLY funny.    He does a few of these, I'll only post one.  It's really a hoot.

We need some laughs once in awhile right?

how to deal with spam

How about this guy?

Pete Wellborn, the Spammer Hammer, ...

obtained a $25 million judgment against a Tennessee spammer engaged in massive identity theft and credit card fraud. More than three fourths of Wellborn's practice relates to the prosecution of civil cases against parties involved in spamming, spoofing, and/or Internet fraud. Wellborn has had a primary practice focus on Internet Law since 1996. He represented EarthLink against Howard Carmack, the "Buffalo Spammer," in a $16.4 million case and won. He has been suing spammers since 1998, and has never lost a spam case.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:51 AM, ArtmakersWorlds said:

The  Thunderbird client has it already included, and will sent it to your junk folder (if it detects the email as spam).

Edited by KNERD