Tiny spams - no information to report?

hucker

I frequently get spams with no body, and only a few headers - spamcop refused to report this one for example:

Envelope-to: peter<at>hucker.plus.com

Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:52:05 +0100

Received: from UNYKTazhr.com (EHLO adndq-a.evaporate.WB.qbn.net) rosenzweig by mail.mtk.nao.ac.jp (7.0[2

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:56:26 +0100

Spamcop claimed there is no IP address. Isn't it from adndq-a.evaporate.WB.qbn.net? Also the "evaporate" part sounds like someone's doing something they shouldn't.....

Hi, Hucker,

I frequently get spams with no body, and only a few headers - spamcop refused to report this one for example:

<snip>

29059[/snapback]

...Please provide the tracking URL for one of these; it will greatly help us answer your question. Thanks!

I couldn't find a way to get a tracking URL of an unreported spam - I have unreported spam, but it only showed 1 spam unreported, and it wasn't this one.

Anyway I have re-reported it (well not the final stage of sending it), and got this URL:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z773167984zf2...f155b0a2f66ffbz

The reason for the duplicate post of the starter of this thread was the forum server wasn't responding after about a minute, so I clicked post again, which still didn't send it, so I left the room and it eventually went. I guess it did actually go the first time.

for spam with no body enter line + type something like <no body provided> under the header... the caviat is that this spams, presumably generated by worms or broken software have to be pasted in the parsing window manually..

In this case Spamcop also complained of no source IP address, so it still wouldn't have worked.

About the manual pasting - am I missing out on a better way? I currently press "C" in the email (Opera's method of copying the raw email to the clipboard), then paste into the Spamcop reporting page.

Deleted the second Topic.

My first thought when seeing the "no body" remark was to go find one of the old "no body" Topics and merge/move this new Topic into one of those. However, looking at the data provided, this is not the typical "no body" scenario.

My suggestion, take this stuff back to your ISP. Technically, there is not enough data in that header for this 'e-mail' to ever have travelled anywhere. I'd raise the possible issue that whatever was really sent got mangled somewhere, and unfortunately, I'd have to point first to your ISP ... again, as there's not enough data there for it to have travelled very far uder its own power.

On the other hand, it should be noted that you didn't provide any details as to what tools are in use. One could possibly end up pointing at "your" system as a possible culprut in the file corruption scenario. How large are your 'store' files if Outlook or Outlook Express, when's the last time any clean-up work was done on these files, hard drive, etc.?

<snip>

I currently press "C" in the email (Opera's method of copying the raw email to the clipboard), then paste into the Spamcop reporting page.

29065[/snapback]

...Does Opera have a "forward as attachment" option?

I have two functions, forward and redirect.

Forward sends a standard email with the body conatining a blank line followed by:

------- Forwarded message -------

then a few of the headers (not enough to report) and body of the original mail, then my signature.

Redirect removes the headers and just pastes the body into a fresh email.

Looked on the Opera forums, all that is suggested is to use the C key to copy the raw email then paste it into a new one.

There's an email address I can post spam to at spamcop, but I'm sure I looked into it before and all it did was to mail me back with a web page I had to go to to confirm it. Which took longer!

Or do you have another way?

I have two functions, forward and redirect.

Forward sends a standard email with the body conatining a blank line followed by:

------- Forwarded message -------

then a few of the headers (not enough to report) and body of the original mail, then my signature.

Redirect removes the headers and just pastes the body into a fresh email.

<snip>

29072[/snapback]

...Sounds like Forward is as close as they get ....
There's an email address I can post spam to at spamcop, but I'm sure I looked into it before and all it did was to mail me back with a web page I had to go to to confirm it.  Which took longer!

Or do you have another way?

29072[/snapback]

...Even though it may take longer, I think it's better, for several reasons:
  • You don't actually have to open the spam to get it to the SpamCop parser, so you're not as prone to falling victim to malware, autoreplies to the spammer or image hacks or any other spammer tricks.
  • If your e-mail software permits, you can forward (to the SpamCop parser) more than one spam at a time.
  • No copying/pasting.

Even though it may take longer, I think it's better, for several reasons:

You don't actually have to open the spam to get it to the SpamCop parser, so you're not as prone to falling victim to malware, autoreplies to the spammer or image hacks or any other spammer tricks.

29073[/snapback]

Hmmm Opera doesn't do all that crap that Outhouse Distress does. Simply opening an email should NEVER do anything whatsoever.

If your e-mail software permits, you can forward (to the SpamCop parser) more than one spam at a time.

29073[/snapback]

I can't, but if I could, how does it work? I seem to remember you have to go to a spamcop webpage to confirm the spam anyway. Or can you go to a page and confirm 20 at once?

I can't, but if I could, how does it work?  I seem to remember you have to go to a spamcop webpage to confirm the spam anyway.  Or can you go to a page and confirm 20 at once?

29075[/snapback]

No, you can't report (=conclude the process) them all at once but batch submission is generally faster and more convenient.

Let's see now - it's easier to do than to talk about, trust me. It's better covered here: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2385 but, a short version:

If it did work, you would select a bunch of spam from your inbox (whatever), right click or menu choice "Forward As" and select "Attachment", using the SpamCop address submit.[your own 16 char. hash] (at) spam.spamcop.net - subject to a limit of (about) 100k.

Then you get an email back when processed, follow the links to review and report each spam in turn (or - more convenient - just go to your members.spamcop.net log in page & log in - the paste-in page - and wait & refresh & wait ... until you get an "Unreported spam saved" message/link and you can hit the link, review & report each one in turn). The email notification sometimes gets hung up so I find going to the page and picking up the process from there is faster.

Doing it in batches this way, if you have the option, should be faster & more convenient (believe it or not).

Looks like there was a user over in the newsgoups having problems too: http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-...ary/064339.html

Doesn't look to be resolved, but you may pick up something. Also try "Search SpamCop" from the help page http://members.spamcop.net/help.shtml - if you search on just "opera" ignore the first "no result" and try Search.news.spamcop.net and search forum.spamcop.net options from the Google page you land at.

Also try "Search SpamCop" from the help page http://members.spamcop.net/help.shtml - if you search on just "opera" ignore the first "no result" and try Search.news.spamcop.net and search forum.spamcop.net options from the Google page you land at.

I have to ask ... is the Search function set of boxes I put at the top of the Forum pages not showing for you? The dropdown includes the Forum, the newsgroups, and the Original www.spamcop.net FAQ (the Google Groups serch function isn't working as desired, but it does pull up 'some' results.)

I have to ask ... is the Search function set of boxes I put at the top of the Forum pages not showing for you?

29125[/snapback]

Shows and works fine Wazoo (Mozilla & Firefox) - just trying to enter the mindset of somebody new, looking at the "Help" page, FAQs and such - all over the place in fact, assuming they might not always be in a forum page (though they would be if they were reading the post). Aagh, you know what I mean, covering all the bases.

Gotchya! .. just remembering that you'd pointed out Netscape issues and knowing that the largest complaint on FireFox is the page rendering issues .. just wasn't sure that you'd seen that extra meat or not <g>

No, you can't report (=conclude the process) them all at once but batch submission is generally faster and more convenient.

Doing it in batches this way, if you have the option, should be faster & more convenient (believe it or not).

29124[/snapback]

If I have to conclude every spam seperately, it won't be faster for me. Pressing C, spamcop button, paste is no big deal. It's clicking through all the pages to conclude them (and waiting for them to load) that takes time.

If I have to conclude every spam seperately, it won't be faster for me.  Pressing C, spamcop button, paste is no big deal.  It's clicking through all the pages to conclude them (and waiting for them to load) that takes time.

29139[/snapback]

...You have to do that whichever way you submit (e-mail or online). Submitting multiple spams via e-mail is what really speeds things up. :) <g>

Not really, as I open multiple spamcop windows at once, they're parsing while I'm pasting more - if I had to confirm them all at once in one window, I'd be waiting for the server to respond each time.

29143[/snapback]

...The return e-mail has links to each confirmation page, so you can still do the multiple spamcop windows trick when submitting multiple e-mails. :) <g> Either way, you will still be waiting for SpamCop to come back from your requests to go ahead and send the LARTs.

Archived