Blocked on 2 different IP addresses

window8104

On Thursday, I left work for the weekend and left my work computer on and logged off (it is operated by a university). That evening I remote logged in to this computer from home.

When I returned to work on Monday, I tried to email someone at an optonline address. My mail was returned and I found out that my IP address was listed on Dynablock, part of NJABL.

The next morning I sent 2 emails from my home computer to the optonline address that I was blocked from at work. The first email went through. The second bounced back to me, telling me that my home IP address was also now listed on Dynablock.

Can someone help me figure out what happened and how I can fix it? I'm guessing it can't be a problem with my ISP, because this happened to one computer of mine after another from 2 different ISPs. (My work ISP is a university, my home ISP is Comcast.)

I was using the same university-operated email program to send email from both computers, if that helps. (The email program is called Mulberry, and it is operated by Carnegie Mellon University.)

Thanks so much! I don't know what to do to fix this, since my ISPs can't help me and NJABL doesn't answer requests for help. I can list the 2 IP addresses in question if you need me to.

On Thursday, I left work for the weekend and left my work computer on and logged off (it is operated by a university). That evening I remote logged in to this computer from home.

When I returned to work on Monday, I tried to email someone at an optonline address. My mail was returned and I found out that my IP address was listed on Dynablock, part of NJABL.

The next morning I sent 2 emails from my home computer to the optonline address that I was blocked from at work. The first email went through. The second bounced back to me, telling me that my home IP address was also now listed on Dynablock.

<snip>

29268[/snapback]

Hi, window8104!

...The "dynablock" sounds like the IP addresses through which the e-mails were sent were dynamically allocated by a server. It makes sense for your home computer to be given a dynamic IP by Comcast; it may even make sense that your work computer might have a dynamically allocated IP address (mine does at work, too). What does not quite make sense is that e-mail was sent by your work and home computers. E-mail should, rather, be sent through servers operated by your employer and Comcast (or perhaps your e-mail provider, if that is someone other than Comcast). If you are running an e-mail service (as distinct from an e-mail client, such as web-mail or Outlook or Outlook Express or Thunderbird or AppleMail) on your computers, you should not do that.

I can list the 2 IP addresses in question if you need me to.

29268[/snapback]

...Yes, that might help us.

The IP Addresses would be very helpful. However, since your Topic has nothing to do with the SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL), I have moved it to the Lounge.

Sorry, the emails were not sent "by" my work and home computers...they were sent through a server operated by my university. They were sent *from* my work at home computers.

My work IP address is 128.2.71.105. The second IP address that was listed wasn’t my home IP address after all, but was an address that resolved to the stmp server of my email provider. This address is 128.2.10.83. When I looked it up in NJABL’s database, it tells me it resolves to smtp.andrew.cmu.edu (which is my university email server). The first IP address listed is the IP of my work computer, and NJBAL tells me the address resolves to my computer (LABLITEK02.PSY.cmu.edu, which is the name of my computer on the network).

Can someone help me figure out what happened and how I can fix it? I'm guessing it can't be a problem with my ISP, because this happened to one computer of mine after another from 2 different ISPs. (My work ISP is a university, my home ISP is Comcast.)

I was using the same university-operated email program to send email from both computers, if that helps. (The email program is called Mulberry, and it is operated by Carnegie Mellon University.)

Thanks so much! I don't know what to do to fix this, since my ISPs can't help me and NJABL doesn't answer requests for help. I can list the 2 IP addresses in question if you need me to.

29268[/snapback]

Sorry, the emails were not sent "by" my work and home computers...they were sent through a server operated by my university. They were sent *from* my work at home computers.

29278[/snapback]

...That makes sense but seems to contradict your original post:
<snip>

When I returned to work on Monday, I tried to email someone at an optonline address. My mail was returned and I found out that my IP address was listed on Dynablock, part of NJABL. [emphasis mine -- Steve T]

The next morning I sent 2 emails from my home computer to the optonline address that I was blocked from at work. The first email went through. The second bounced back to me, telling me that my home IP address was also now listed on Dynablock. [emphasis mine -- Steve T]

29268[/snapback]

I'm sure the confusion is more my fault than yours but could you verify that it is your employer's (the university) server IP address and a Comcast server IP address that are on the list, not your work PC address and you home personal IP address, per the following?
My work IP address is 128.2.71.105. The second IP address that was listed wasn’t my home IP address after all, but was an address that resolved to the stmp server of my email provider. This address is 128.2.10.83. When I looked it up in NJABL’s database, it tells me it resolves to smtp.andrew.cmu.edu (which is my university email server). The first IP address listed is the IP of my work computer, and NJBAL tells me the address resolves to my computer (LABLITEK02.PSY.cmu.edu, which is the name of my computer on the network).

29278[/snapback]

...Thanks!

...Unfortunately, if it's the university and Comcast servers that are on the dynablock list and you can't get help from NJABL, I'm at a loss since it would seem the mistake is NJABL's.

I am not technically fluent, and window8104 seems to understand as much as I do about IP addresses. IIUC, it is not Comcast, but the university mail server that is getting blocked since he is sending the email through the university mail system.

The person he needs to talk to is the optonline admin on what kind of block list is being used and why his IP addresses are blocked. Once window8104 gets that information, then he can talk to the university IT Department about what is wrong.

Reading some of the FAQ here about blocklists might help him understand what kind of questions to ask or where to look for information in order to get either place to help him out. Asking more questions in the lounge might get some help from other posters.

Also, looking at the posts might help to understand the 'geek' mindset so that he understands why they want specific information (and can't seem to translate approximations) and how they are often rather blunt rather than customer oriented.

I hope he comes back and tells the resolution.

Miss Betsy

Yes, it sounds very much as if the University mail server (or possibly one of their mail servers) is listed on the Dynablock list.

It will have to be the University admins that work with the blocklist to identify why the list considers their IP to be dynamic. Or perhaps it is a dynamic IP. Or perhaps their mail system inserts the dynamic IP of the workstation as the sending IP.

Hard to tell without seeing the actual error message.

Andrew

<snip>

IIUC, it is not Comcast, but the university mail server that is getting blocked since he is sending the email through the university mail system.

29299[/snapback]

...Perhaps it is my misunderstanding, but your understanding does not seem to jibe with:
<snip>

The next morning I sent 2 emails from my home computer to the optonline address that I was blocked from at work. The first email went through. The second bounced back to me, telling me that my home IP address was also now listed on Dynablock. [emphasis mine - Steve T]

29268[/snapback]

. I interpret window8104's message to say that both his work (university) and home e-mail are being blocked.

...Perhaps it is my misunderstanding, but your understanding does not seem to jibe with:.  I interpret window8104's message to say that both his work (university) and home e-mail are being blocked.

29322[/snapback]

Welll, if he is using Comcast, it certainly is possible! But I have a hunch that that was written before he discovered that he was using his university IP address for the second email.

Unless he chimes in again, I guess we will never really know what is going on.

Miss Betsy

Archived