Spamcop mailers listed in RBLs

:(

I have my Spamcop-filtered mail forwarded off to my own private mail server. Since I have a number of other family members also on my mail server, I had impemented a number of RBLs to block a lot of spam. My primary RBL is, of course, Spamcop. But I also used Sorbs and Spamhaus. Didn't even think about using Spews.

Well, my mail got awfully quiet for a while, then I started to receive bounce notices from some of the mailing lists I was on. It seems that Sorbs decided to list the cesmail servers, so my local server was trashing everything that Spamcop was forwarding to me.

So much for Sorbs - bye bye...

learn to use SpamCop Email's "WhiteList" and put in "bounces.spamcop.net" without the " " the same goes for specific domains you regually get email from. If you get too much spam passing through because of whitelisting remove the domain from whitelist and replace with FULL email address

learn to use SpamCop Email's "WhiteList" and put in "bounces.spamcop.net" without the " " the same goes for specific domains you regually get email from. If you get too much spam passing through because of whitelisting remove the domain from whitelist and replace with FULL email address

29880[/snapback]

The problem is not with the mail coming into Spamcop. I do use whitelisting to a large extent to offset my use of pretty much all of the traps offered, and I enjoy a good spam capture ratio with very few false positives.

The problem is at my local mail server end to which I have Spamcop forward my filtered email. Since only my personal mail goes through Spamcop, my local mail server serves many other mailboxes (automated stuff, family members, etc), I use RBLs to help reduce the amount of junk that gets through.

That has also been largely successful until the Sorbs RBL decided to list the Spamcop mail servers (cesmail.net). Once that occurred, the filtered personal mail coming into my local server via Spamcop simply bounced back to the sender. I wasn't aware of it until, apparently, Sorbs removed the Spamcop servers and I once again started to receive mail via Spamcop, some of which were notices from those sending sources telling me they'd removed my email address from their subscriptions because my mail had been bouncing back to them.

After looking at some of those 'unsubscribe' notices, it was easy to tell that it was my local mail server that was blocking them based on the RBLs I'd implemented on my end. I confirmed it by looking through my mail router logs and seeing that mail from the cesmail.net servers were being rejected due to the Sorbs RBL.

Unfortunately, my local mail server (Lotus/Domino) hasn't implemented an exception list for their RBL implementation. I'm going to have to put that onto their wish list. :-)

You can have the SpamCop system use the SORBS DNSbl on the mail that's passing through the SpamCop server...it's on the list of Blacklists found in the "Select your email filtering blacklists" portion of your Options. I think that it uses the following specific SORBS resources:

.2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .9

So, perhaps you can turn off the SORBS queries on your server?

DT

Yes, I already use Sorbs and most all of the other options for my personal mail that goes through Spamcop. And yes, I've already removed Sorbs from my private servers RBL list so they can't do this to me again.

I'm still using Spamhaus (in addition to Spamcop) RBL. I also have the check enabled for RDNS lookup (if it doesn't resolve in DNS, a connecting host gets rejected).

I'm finding slightly more spam being delivered to the other mailboxes on my server due to the Sorbs removal, but I'm reporting them to Spamcop so hopefully they'll eventually end up on Spamcops RBL, which will block them at my server as well.

Archived