Reporting by email gone flaky?

mikeobrien

Lately, when I forward spams via email into the reporting system via the email box submit.blahblahblah[at]spam.spamcop.net, at most one or two out of six or twelve submitted spam emails will ever show up in the reporting queue. Has the mail reporting system sprung a leak?

Now I'm having to cut'n'paste the emails directly into the web form. Combine that with Spamcop's inability to resolve domain names (which always resolve to that one single Chinese host anyway), forcing me to use "dig" and "whois" to find reporting addresses, and things are just about back to the bad old days of hand reporting.

What's up?

...FWIW, I have been reporting via e-mail, with both single spams and multiple spams as attachments, and have not had any problems this week (other than occassional slow, > 15 minute, turnaround).

As my original post makes clear, this situation doesn't fall under either of the FAQ entries: some submissions ARE getting through, but only about 10-20% of them. My maillogs show they're being accepted by my ISP's SMTP server, and no other outbound email to anybody else is disappearing.

I have tried both a single message per spam, and multiple messages grouped together. The problem occurs with both.

<snip> some submissions ARE getting through, but only about 10-20% of them.  My maillogs show they're being accepted by my ISP's SMTP server, and no other outbound email to anybody else is disappearing.

<snip>

30164[/snapback]

Hi, Mike,

...You (and/ or your e-mail provider) aren't using Microsoft Exchange and/ or Outlook by any chance, are you? I find that the symptom you are describing happens (but only very rarely) to me. Others in these fora have pointed out that Outlook and/ or Exchange does its own thing with e-mail headers that prevent the SpamCop parser from doing its thing (see, for example, Derek T's post in thread "How clueless can I b?" and following replies, Wazoo's contribution to thread "Forwarding As Attachment in Outlook 2003" and replies both before and after as well as my reply to "SC swallowing forwarded spams?".

As my original post makes clear, this situation doesn't fall under either of the FAQ entries: some submissions ARE getting through, but only about 10-20% of them.  My maillogs show they're being accepted by my ISP's SMTP server, and no other outbound email to anybody else is disappearing.

I have tried both a single message per spam, and multiple messages grouped together.  The problem occurs with both.

30164[/snapback]

Technically, it can still be falling under the ISP outbound filtering issue, the percentage issue possibly explained by the spam constuct. I'm not claiming "no failure at SpamCop" justpointing out that there could be something else going on. Your posting IP has you using one of those listed ISPs and it is possible that they are in the midst of testing/installation "in your area", so the percentage might also be connected to just which outgoing server/system your e-mail is attempting to leave from.

Still seems odd that if you make a single email submittal of multiple spam attachments, that only some of the attachments on that email were getting through. Is that typical of this outbound filtering issue? I thought that had to do with it completely rejecting the entire submittal email (not just stripping certain attachments).

Still seems odd that if you make a single email submittal of multiple spam attachments, that only some of the attachments on that email were getting through.  Is that typical of this outbound filtering issue? I thought that had to do with it completely rejecting the entire submittal email (not just stripping certain attachments).

30186[/snapback]

That would have one conjecturing on a level of detail not offered in this Topic. One could conjecture the possibility of an anti-virus thing getting in there and making some changes to the originally included content, but .... that's reaching ... and again, could be ascertained by the CC: to another off-ISP account to see what's actually making it out.

Lately, when I forward spams via email into the reporting system via the email box submit.blahblahblah[at]spam.spamcop.net, at most one or two out of six or twelve submitted spam emails will ever show up in the reporting queue.

30145[/snapback]

The SpamCop email submission process is working properly. Even if we were suffering a server problem, or, heaven forbid, an actual crash and lost mail, it would only be for a matter of hours and things would be back to normal.

Your ISP is deleting some of the submissions rather than sending them. I've gone through this time and again with other users and it's the only answer. All you can do is hammer them to explain what's happening to the mail you're sending to your 'submit' address.

If you use a unique identifier, such as a date/time, as the subject of your submission, it will make things easier to track, especially when it comes time to demand that your ISP account for the lost mail.

If you can contrive to make that same identifier the subject of the spam itself, you can log into your account here and use the "Past Reports" link to see which ones made it through so that you'll know which ones didn't. Your report history shows you the subject line of the spam you submitted for reporting. As opposed to the subject of the submission carrier message. The response you get back from the system shows the carrier message subject line.

If you're sending multiple spams with one submission, maybe you can make the spam subject lines use the same date/time stamp and add 1of4, 2of4, etc, to the specific spams so that *if* the submission gets here, you can make sure all the spams were posted for reporting.

- Don -

Please note that if you are with an ISP that is filtering out your SpamCop mail submissions, and they allow, say, 1/2 of the single-spam submissions, and you send a submission with, say, 3 spams, that will make the likelihood of them allowing that submission 1/8 or less; for 8 spams in one submission, the likeliihood goes down to 1/256 or less. Therefore, I suggest that people in such a position not try to submit multiple spams per submission.

Thanks to Don for the explanation.

P.S. I wrote "or less" because the filtering method used may be additive, where individual spams would pass but attached together in one submission they cause that submission to be filtered.

Well, fooey, is all I can say. I daresay you're right, and my ISP must be deleting the spams. I'll edit my submission scripts to copy myself at another address.

This only recently started happening, and it didn't occur to me that Comcast might be doing this to me.

In response to one respondent, I'm using FreeBSD/Sendmail/exmh/MH to submit my mail. I'm using TLS with the Comcast server, but given that they run the DNS, goodness knows where I'm actually submitting it to. The host is smtp.comcast.net, which at the moment resolves to:

;; ANSWER SECTION:

smtp.comcast.net. 15M IN A 204.127.198.27

smtp.comcast.net. 15M IN A 204.127.202.27

smtp.comcast.net. 15M IN A 216.148.227.125

smtp.comcast.net. 15M IN A 63.240.76.27

I don't suppose you could submit directly to one of the following, could you? They are weighted equally.

vmx1.spamcop.net 64.74.133.248

vmx2.spamcop.net 64.74.133.250

Alas, this is Sendmail I'm using, and it doesn't cotton to having its outbound SMTP server selected on a per-message basis, and unfortunately (for me) these addresses don't accept general mail for delivery. I'm working on getting an alternate SMTP server to use for all outbound mail.

Archived